Technical genius required for business idea

rob_millar

Reaction score
Hi,

I need to have a device that I can stick into any UK aerial socket and it can tell me whether I can get good reception for digital TV. More importantly, I need to be able to make it for less than £1.

Is there anyone in the world that has the correct technical knowledge to be able to do this?

My understanding (from an ignorant position) is that certain areas of the UK cannot get digital TV. That is fine. However, in areas where there is digital tv - I need to check whether my aerial is correctly aligned to get a signal.

Can you help?

Thanks,

Rob

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
rob_millar said:
Hi,

I need to have a device that I can stick into any UK aerial socket and it can tell me whether I can get good reception for digital TV. More importantly, I need to be able to make it for less than £1.

Is there anyone in the world that has the correct technical knowledge to be able to do this?

My understanding (from an ignorant position) is that certain areas of the UK cannot get digital TV. That is fine. However, in areas where there is digital tv - I need to check whether my aerial is correctly aligned to get a signal.

Can you help?

Thanks,

Rob

Hi Rob

It's not just a question of technical knowledge, it's the economics of making a device that converts the aerial signals into something readable by, I presume, Joe Public.
Simple meters like those used for satellite alignment wouldn't be able to differentiate between analogue and digital terrestial transmissions.
Let's consider what's required.
A front end to receive all multiplexes in the bands IV and V.
An oscillator to sweep these bands or alternatively choose from a set of preprogrammed DTT frequencies.

Some form of display e.g. a CRT or LCD screen to show the multiplexes, to see if they are of sufficient amplitude ,or better still see if they are not too close to the frequencies of any analogue transmissions (i.e. out of area signals).

You'll need to add a few noughts onto that £1...

Llew

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
How about a freeview box ? The cheapest one is about £40, and if it doesnt work, take it back for a refund. A signal meter for nowt.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It would appear perhaps that Rob is looking to manufacture and sell a DIY Terrestrial Digital testing kit. :) The £1 manufacturing cost may be just a tad optimistic. ;)

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
How about a circuit like this, just a basic tuned signal test meter. You would need to calculate values for the inductor and trimmer capacitor pair to tune the antenna, and I have no idea really how you would manage to calibrate it, i find someone who's house is on the threshold of signal strength and tune it so the LED just comes on.

This is a modification of a simple circuit using my limited memory of A-Level electronics, but I think it is roughly right. If it worked then the unit cost would be reasonably cheap.

Damien

caretaker

Reaction score
Hi rob, I know a device that i used to get the signal for my set up,it is called a swaw meter,it was used by c/b users years ago the price price then was about £3.50.

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
caretaker said:
Hi rob, I know a device that i used to get the signal for my set up,it is called a swaw meter,it was used by c/b users years ago the price price then was about £3.50.
Unless you know something I dont, a SWR is not going to help here, a SWR meter is to check the attenna matting to the wavelength of the transmitted signal. What Rob wants is to check the incoming signal.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
damhy said:
Unless you know something I dont, a SWR is not going to help here, a SWR meter is to check the attenna matting to the wavelength of the transmitted signal. What Rob wants is to check the incoming signal.
Whoa, that instantly took me back to the days of sticking 200w single-sideband through my Spitfire PZ1 directional horizontally-polarised half-wave array and leaving messages on my next door neighbours answering machine!

CQ, CQ.

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
I never managed to cause that much distress, though I did cause loads and loads of TVI, which ultimately lead to several neighbours signing up with Telewest. Maybe I should recommend it to their marketing department! They could do with some new ideas.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
BGonaSTICK said:
Whoa, that instantly took me back to the days of sticking 200w single-sideband through my Spitfire PZ1 directional horizontally-polarised half-wave array and leaving messages on my next door neighbours answering machine!

CQ, CQ.

our cooker would broadcast the spiel of the local taxi firm.