Technical jargon page?

Oily

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Satellite=Motorized Triax 88cm&a DM800HD with 500gb hd.Vu+ Duo
My Location
Radcliffe
Or even a sticky at the top of each section.If there is one already then can you point me in the right direction please:-Cgrin

John T

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
60cm dish, dual LNB, Topfield TF5010PVR
My Location
North Staffordshire England
Please sir, please sir, and me sir!:-hny

Oily

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Radcliffe
John T said:
Please sir, please sir, and me sir!:-hny

Be my guest:-Cgrin

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Oily said:
Or even a sticky at the top of each section.If there is one already then can you point me in the right direction please:-Cgrin

why not post the jargon you do not understand and someone will post replies. That way we can build up a database of troublesome words and expressions and their corresponding meanings. Then it can all be tidied up into a sticky

Oily

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Radcliffe
Right;
1 What does a satellite system consist of?
2 What is an LNB ?What do the numbers mean,i.e 0.3 etc
3 How big a dish do I need?
4 What are cams&cam emulators,card readers etc
5 What are actuators?
6 What is a polar mount?
7 Can the CI digital receivers be used for Sky TV and how many other
channels in the sky are available?
8 Differences between motors,Diseqc,h to h,go to x,36v etc
9 List of satellites and what they show
10 What is a 'v' box?
11 Longitude and latitude,what it means and why you need them

Anybody else want to add anything?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Blimey... you need to find a Technical Jargon page!

Try the ~FAQ~ section here, or use the search facility.

Be prepared to do a lot of reading off your own back. You need to be committed to succeed.

I was :-googly

Oily

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Radcliffe
I have searched and read many threads(my eyes are killin me!!) but have yet to find the anwsers that i need,and that are in clear english.Maybe its me but the site is a minefield of info but scattered to the four winds.Like i said in another post,its ok doing a search but if you don't know what the your searching for,its get complicated.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Yeah, you have a good point, and it's actually being addressed behind the scenes. Watch this space.

In the mean time, if you can't find what you want, chip away by asking questions one or two at a time, then go and read a bit.

Hit me with two specific questions and I'll get you started.

GO!

:D

Oily

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Radcliffe
Right,having just bought my dish,complete with cable,fixing kit etc,next on my list is this Technomate 1500 off ebay.I have already bought myself a sat finder thingy,is there anything else that i need that you can think off?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Oily said:
Right,having just bought my dish,complete with cable,fixing kit etc,next on my list is this Technomate 1500 off ebay.I have already bought myself a sat finder thingy,is there anything else that i need that you can think off?

An Lnb is pretty darned important..... self amalgamating tape to seal the F connectors

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Oily said:
1 What does a satellite system consist of?
A. Dish - LNB - cable - receiver

2 What is an LNB ?What do the numbers mean,i.e 0.3
A. The LNB (Low Noise Block downconverter) converts the signals from electromagnetic or radio waves to electrical signals and shifts the signals from the downlinked C-band and/or Ku-band to the L-band range.
The number is the threshold - the lower the better

3 How big a dish do I need?
A. Depends where you live - the footprint for different satellite and channels vary.

4 What are cams&cam emulators,card readers etc
A. CAM (Conditional Access Modules) used to hold subscriber card for encrypted channels. Emulation software on some receivers can replace them with software that does the same job. Card readers are usually built in CAMS

5 What are actuators?
A. Bar that fits on the back of your dish that has a screw and motor that pull and push the dish to move it.

6 What is a polar mount?
A. A polar mount is designed to allow all visible geostationary satellites to be accessed by swinging the antenna around one axis (the main axis).

7 Can the CI digital receivers be used for Sky TV and how many other channels in the sky are available?
A. You are better with a Sky receiver for their channels but you can use other receivers like the Dreambox using a Sky card. Thousands of other channels are available other than Sky.

8 Differences between motors,Diseqc,h to h,go to x,36v etc
A. Motors move the dish in different ways H-H (Horizon to Horizon) move the dish in one plane. DiSEqC motors rotate and tilt the dish at the same time - limited to dishes up to 1.2m. DiSEqC is a means of sending a signal from the receiver to a motor along the single coaxial cable (Eutelsat invented it). 36v positioners are separate from the receiver and can move larger dishes.

9 List of satellites and what they show
A. Changes daily best start here... _http://www.lyngsat.com

10 What is a 'v' box?
A. A satellite positioner which converts Diseqc 1.2 to 3 amp capable 4 wire control. This enables heavy duty large motors to be used with Diseqc 1.2

11 Longitude and latitude,what it means and why you need them
A. Where you are in the world handy when setting the dish angle and direction. Essential when setting up a motorised system.

Well I tried my best sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong....

Oily

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Radcliffe
Thats cleared up a few things for me gameboy,cheers!!

@toppervte33h,there's a Maximum Universal Single LNB 0.3 db included in the setup i bought,hope its a good 'un

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Oily said:
@toppervte33h,there's a Maximum Universal Single LNB 0.3 db included in the setup i bought,hope its a good 'un

That should be fine 0.3db is about the best you can get unfortunately it appears that some manufacturers calculate those figures using different methods but what you have will be fine.

It is very good of GB to take the time to reply to all those questions but I maintain that he is just repeating the information already on the forum albeit in a more personal manner My fellow mod has the patience of a saint.

Oily

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Radcliffe
toppervte33h said:
That should be fine 0.3db is about the best you can get unfortunately it appears that some manufacturers calculate those figures using different methods but what you have will be fine.

It is very good of GB to take the time to reply to all those questions but I maintain that he is just repeating the information already on the forum albeit in a more personal manner My fellow mod has the patience of a saint.

And i appreciate all the input i have received since joining,i'm sure i'll have more questions when i start to install everything so beware;)

John T

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Your next task is aligning the dish. If the meter is an expensive one it will tell you which satellite you are aligned to, if not it is trial and error. I set mine up only to find that I was not on Astra2 which I wanted, I am assuming here that you are using a fixed dish. In my case I already had a mini Sky dish and receiver, so I connected my new dish to that, and adjusted it until I got Astra2, then used the meter to tune for maximum. Which satellite are you wanting? Or do you have a motorised dish?

John T

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ah, sorry then, beyond my xxxx (insert word of choice here, eg experience, knowledge intelligence...) :-Cbigsmil

Oily

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Radcliffe
John T said:
Ah, sorry then, beyond my xxxx (insert word of choice here, eg experience, knowledge intelligence...) :-Cbigsmil

And possible mine:-ohmy