Technisat DigiDish 45 vs Triax TDA 64 and Fracarro Penta 68

pn82

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM7000, Technisat DigiDish 45, Technisat TechniRotor, Smart Titanium 0.2dB
My Location
Iberian Peninsula
Hi guys,

After being forced to stay away from the satellite world for a few years, I was suddenly and unfortunately presented with a Technisat DigiDish 45 antenna.

No need to say, I immediately suffered from a severe stroke of “acute satellite” and spent a couple of hours getting soaked while searching for some satellites with this pocket size antenna.

Unfortunately, in spite of its small size and reasonable performance, this is not my previous Gibertini 85 antenna.

After cleaning the spider webs out of my old Dreambox 7000, I found myself missing a couple of satellites, like 16E, 10E, 12.5W, 15W (and 27.5W?). The 28.2E is not an issue because I can receive it on my collective antenna.

Much to both my Missus and landlord’s despair, I’ll be forced to increase the dish size and I’m considering two options: the Triax TDA 64 and the Fracarro Penta 68.

According to rolfw post (http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/topic/107246-penta-68-or-80cm-dish/#entry597166) the Fracarro Penta 68 is 75cm tall and 78cm wide, which will probably force me to decide between placing this antenna and sleeping outside for a month or so.

About Triax TDA 64, I believe it is 65cm tall and 60cm wide, which seems to be more consensual.

Since I’m particularly outdated regarding these matters, I would appreciate if any of you could share your opinion about the performance of these antennas versus the Technisat DigiDish 45. According to the manufacturers websites, the gain of Technisat Digidish 45 is 32.2dB, the Triax TDA 64 is 35.8dB @11.7GHz and the Fracarro Penta 68 is 36.5dB @10.95GHz. If you know of any other satellite dish within the same size and better specs, please let me know.

About the LNB’s, I have a Smart Titanium 0.2dB and an Invacom 0.3dB to play with. Do you think the Inverto Black Ultra can provide me with better results than the other two?

About the receiver, the Dreambox 7000 tuner sensitivity is not great, and I’m being nice. Do you think a VU+ Solo2 could make a difference?

Thanks in advance for your help/comments.

Regards,

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I'd still go for the Penta, as although it appears bigger on paper, it doesn't look much bigger than a TD64 when installed.

pn82

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM7000, Technisat DigiDish 45, Technisat TechniRotor, Smart Titanium 0.2dB
My Location
Iberian Peninsula
Hi rolfw, thanks for your quick reply.

I’m wondering if you know how much the aluminum version of Penta 68 weights? Because I have the Technisat rotor and I was hoping to be able to use it with the Penta 68...

Could you please comment on the tuner sensitivity differences between both receivers and the lnbs I mentioned? Do you believe this will result in a real increase of the reception quality of weak signals on my current technisat 45 dish? Or Penta is my last resort?

Thanks again for your time and patience.

Regards,