Technomate 5500-CIP plus looking for alternative

normsky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
UK
Hi All,

I recently purchased a second hand Technomate 5500 CIP plus from my friend. I've had it for less than a week and I want to swap as soon as possible.

There are a number of reasons for this - the primary ones are as follows: -

1) The menu system - I hate it. It reminds me of Xtree Gold for DOS file management about 15 years ago. I remember having an analogue receiver about 6 years ago and it wiped the floor with this one. Damned if I can remember the make though. My guess is that a Nokia receiver would have a good menu system since these boys tend to know whats what.

2) No motor in use indicator. This is one of my main grudges. Set it moving from 29east over to 30west and you get a 2 second or so indicator on screen saying moving to blah blah and then nothing. You are left in the dark until it finds a signal on the new position. No progress indicator or motor in use indicator.

3) And most infuriatingly the remote control response time. For every 5 presses of a button I would say the reciever acknowledges only 3. This can be a real pain considering the menu system. Not really sure if this is a problem with my unit. I have obviously swapped batteries. Opened the remote to double check it was dirty inside. I even did a test where I programmed a universal controller to match my current one. The problem was still there so I assume it must be the receiver.

So all in all a dissappointing return to satellite but not to worry I will use it as an excuse to buy me a new gadget. Can anybody recommend a review site that shows the OSD's of newish receivers?

Look forward to some responses. Cheers.

Norm

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I can't remember a site which goes into that sort of detail normsky, there is a site Here, but they really only give tech specs on the different receivers.

johnwilliam1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 1500
strong 4375
pace digi box
triax 1.1, triax 88cm
My Location
UK.
hi normsky,
i bought a technomate 1500+, but a new one for £109 from trac, sometimes its a problem when you buy second hand stuff, i will have done the same thing myself sometime or other. I have a strong 4375 its about 4 years old and the handle is a bit on the slow side these days on that machine, but it still works ok. I can only say get rid of it if you bought it cheaply, my strong box is an old box now but still a good one, it once cost £270 and used to move my dish, them were the days when it was top notch

regards john

Artemis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020-s
Nokia 9600 DVB2000
Pace508IP
80cm Lenson Heath dish
Cambridge 0.6dB LNB
My Location
Gloucestershire, UK
I am also looking for a new Rx
I can tell you what NOT to buy

1. Manhattan 550 (I can only asume the others in the range are similar) possibly the worst picture I have ever seen. I thought I have a faulty one, but after talking to the importer and the dealer I realised that that was as good as it gets!

2. Dreambox 7020-S Crashes too much, even using the origional software. DiSEQc never works properly. Pitifully bad tuner. The one I had would only manage to find about half the channels on a satellite, signal strengh dropped to less than 50% on transponders and no lock (even on Astra2 with 80cm Lenson Heath and 0.2dB LNB!) If I put my old Nokia9600 on the same dish same transponder i get 95+% signal perfect picture.

I have been recommeded the Samsung DSB-A200C
http://www.tracsat.co.uk/catalog/samsung-dsba200c-p-31.html
and also the Echostar 890 but I have heard conflicting reports as to its compatibility with a Dragon CAM

lest us know what you decide on

normsky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
UK
Actually I also have a Dragon CAM which is also a real pain in conjunction with my recciever. Not sure if this is standard mode of operation but ...

If it is decoding a channel happily and I move across transponders or satellites or differing modes of encryption then I have to power cycle my receiver. This is very frustrating because whithout power cycling the box I can never be really sure if my CAM is unable to decrypt a channel or not.

This makes scanning channels very time consuming and not to mention laborious.

Cheers

Artemis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020-s
Nokia 9600 DVB2000
Pace508IP
80cm Lenson Heath dish
Cambridge 0.6dB LNB
My Location
Gloucestershire, UK
I have heard that all the Technomate Rx's have problems with a Dragon CAM