Technomate TM6900 with HD and PVR

radiobuff

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM6900 HD Receiver, 85cm Gilbertini dish with Technomate TM2200 motor, Diablo Light and T Rex 4.6 cams.
My Location
Northern Ireland
I have recently upgraded my receiver to a Technomate TM6900 with HD PVR facilities. I can record BBC HD and Premier HD on to a HDD and play it back with no problems. HD Suisse is different, however, in that it sounds fine live, but when recorded and played back, the picture is first class but the sound rises and falls several times a second as if someone is turning the volume up and down. I have not experienced this effect on any other clannels. Anyone have any ideas or experienced this themselves with this channel?

flashgordon1952

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky amstrad and panasonic systems 6 pack setup. two 42cm dishes.just ordered a technomate 6900HD with motorised system one metre dish. also at another address.twin feed static 80 mm dish non digital system. 6 year old dell with server memory 680 of
My Location
essex in the wilds somewhere
soon let yu know radiobuff. as have ordered a 6900.myselff. how yu getting on with the USB port for recording. and how difficult was it to download software upgrades on the RS232 cable did yu use USB output to RS232 or through the normal monitor output to RS232. I assume yours has multicrypt built in.

radiobuff

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM6900 HD Receiver, 85cm Gilbertini dish with Technomate TM2200 motor, Diablo Light and T Rex 4.6 cams.
My Location
Northern Ireland
Hello flashgordon,
The TM6900 is a lovely receiver. The software upgrade cured my earlier problems. I upgraded it using a null modem cable and it worked fine. Be careful with the type of HDD you use for recordings. The TM6900 doesn't seem to like Seagate drives but Maxtor and Western Digital seem to work fine. Use the instructions on the Technomate website to format them. I have also used a 8Gb flash drive for recording with limited success. It needs to be a fast one. The first recordings were fine but I have had problems with drop outs after reformatting for a second time. Best to stick to a HDD.

pelock

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 6900 HD - 1 m Deck 1.2 Dish .
My Location
North Wales
Hi All , The instructions on the Technomate website to format the HDD are god but must be done on XP system and not Vista to work!

thecaretaker

Reaction score
Website
www.thecaretakers.net
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Ultimo, Duo2
85cm Fracarro Penta dish
Inverto BLACK Ultra QUAD
My Location
South East Coast, England
pelock said:
Hi All , The instructions on the Technomate website to format the HDD are god but must be done on XP system and not Vista to work!

It does work under Vista, but you have to run the CMD under administrator privilages (right click and pick run as administrator).

However, I found a much better tool called HP USB Format tool. Vista only allows you to format exFAT and NTFS. This tool works with vista and allows you to format (full or quick format) with FAT32 larger than 32gb.

I have a LATICE 1TB External drive and this gives me 951gb of reported space on the TM6900.

I can't remember if this forum allows external links, but just Google HP USB format tool and you'll soon find it. It is free.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
thecaretaker said:
I can't remember if this forum allows external links, but just Google HP USB format tool and you'll soon find it. It is free.

Links should be de-activated as follows

_http://www.google.co.uk

Muad'Dib

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fibo's 60, SF75, 90, 120 (motorized),
Triax Unique MF,
DVB-S2 cards
My Location
Germany
thecaretaker said:
It does work under Vista, but you have to run the CMD under administrator privilages (right click and pick run as administrator).

However, I found a much better tool called HP USB Format tool. Vista only allows you to format exFAT and NTFS. This tool works with vista and allows you to format (full or quick format) with FAT32 larger than 32gb.

I have a LATICE 1TB External drive and this gives me 951gb of reported space on the TM6900.

Any actual OS will allow that too, no need for an extra tool.

mickkeay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Penta 68cm
Moteck SG2100
Fortec Star Passion HD
My Location
Brighton, Sussex
radiobuff said:
I have recently upgraded my receiver to a Technomate TM6900

Do you reckon the 6900 is much better than the Passion HD? Is the only gain the PVR function. It is just that I notice there is a soon to be released Passion plus with PVR to HDD and the price will be aroung £150. I am wondering if the TM6900 is worth the extra? Opininions welcome - Thanks Mike:)

Muad'Dib

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fibo's 60, SF75, 90, 120 (motorized),
Triax Unique MF,
DVB-S2 cards
My Location
Germany
The TM is a Clarke-Tech clone and is really worth the money!!

Cupart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
mickkeay said:
Do you reckon the 6900 is much better than the Passion HD? Is the only gain the PVR function. It is just that I notice there is a soon to be released Passion plus with PVR to HDD and the price will be aroung £150. I am wondering if the TM6900 is worth the extra? Opininions welcome - Thanks Mike:)

Don't know about the Passion receiver so can't help you in that sense, but the Technomate line of receivers are brilliant mainly because they are easily patched and do produce an excellent picture.

I have had the TM6900HD since it came out and it is still (in my opinion) the best you can get. There are a few irritating design flaunts such as no USB on the back but only on the front under the lid and the UI is not the best in the world.

Again, I don't know anything about the Passion HD receiver you mention, but I can warmly recommend the TM6900 (or any other Technomate receivers). No I don't work for Technomate ha ha ha...

radiobuff

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Northern Ireland
I would agree that the TM6900 is a better receiver. I had a Passion for a few months, but although the picture was good, it often had software hang-ups and problems with cams. It may have improved since then. For anyone considering a TM6900, though, I had an email from one of the suppliers recently, saying that it is shortly to be discontinued. I have no information as to why, but there were suggestions that a new model would be introduced with a USB output on the rear rather than at the front and a few other minor changes. Not a big deal, though, the TM6900 is still an excellent performer and if you can get a reduction on one, all the better.

satboyura

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec LifeTime Ultra
My Location
Brazil
Hello to all,

I'm buying a TM6900 receiver is it really a HD blind search receiver like the Vantage 8000HD or just SD (Standard Definition) blind search receiver?

soundbite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 6900 HD Super with four port LNB and standard sky dish
My Location
Scotland
No Blind Search on the 6900 just new 6900 super.