Technomate5000DAPCI/Jeager H-H Motor

uriah

Reaction score
Novice to motorised systems, who expected a few difficulties, but...

1) My latitude is 52.8 deg (Stafford). Jeager manual states around 7 deg. declination (which I read as 7 deg E) ; other sources state -3 deg (which I read as 3 deg. W), which is correct?

2) The Jeager manual specifies approx 53 deg. elevation, my assumption is that this is mount elavation, not dish elevation...??

3) The Jeager manual states that the dish angle = Elevation deg. - dish offset deg - declination deg.
i.e. 53 - 26 (from Triax web site) - 7 = 20 deg... or from other sources:
53 - 26 - -3 = 30 deg, which is correct??
(Incedentally, I do not understand why the declination angle affects the elevation angle...??)

4) The motor came with the azimuth setting of 60 deg. To set the dish up, I needed to make up a temporary connection to the receiver, so that I could position the motor to 0 deg... which leads to...

5) I connected the motor (which is not at all clear in the TM manual) per another thread on this forum (thank you, those concerned), i.e. top 2 conns to the motor.The Technomate blurb (best I can describe it!) suggests that to 'manualy' move the dish, you go Installation/Auto Search/Move Motor... the only option being 5000 (which means nothing to me). When I press the L or R arrows to move the dish, nothing happens to the dish and I get a pop-up saying 'Reach To The East Limit'...?

6) Does it matter how the sensor is connected at the motor end? One wire is grey, the other black.

Any response would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

uriah

Reaction score
Managed to work it out for myself... with much appreciated assistance!!
For those who suffer the same confusion...

1) My latitude is 52.8 deg (Stafford). Jeager manual states around 7 deg. declination (which I read as 7 deg E) ; other sources state -3 deg (which I read as 3 deg. W), which is correct?

Apparently you subtract the latitude value from 90 deg for the correct value in the table, i.e. 90-53=37, so the table reads 5.28 (E) declination.

2) The Jeager manual specifies approx 53 deg. elevation, my assumption is that this is mount elavation, not dish elevation...??

Based on the above the elevation (of the MOTOR), from the table, is 37.6 deg.

3) The Jeager manual states that the dish angle = Elevation deg. - dish offset deg - declination deg.
i.e. 53 - 26 (from Triax web site) - 7 = 20 deg... or from other sources:
53 - 26 - -3 = 30 deg, which is correct??
(Incedentally, I do not understand why the declination angle affects the elevation angle...??)

Again from the correct values, dish angle = 37.6-26-5.3 = 5.7 deg, (which I think is about where it ended up)

4) The motor came with the azimuth setting of 60 deg. To set the dish up, I needed to make up a temporary connection to the receiver, so that I could position the motor to 0 deg... which leads to...

Apparently it is quite common to purchase a Jeager mount with with azimuth set miles away from 0 (mine was at 60 deg, although the manual suggests it will be set at 0). Would take them 5 secs for them to set it right and would have saved me 50 mins of head scratching!!

5) I connected the motor (which is not at all clear in the TM manual) per another thread on this forum (thank you, those concerned), i.e. top 2 conns to the motor.The Technomate blurb (best I can describe it!) suggests that to 'manualy' move the dish, you go Installation/Auto Search/Move Motor... the only option being 5000 (which means nothing to me). When I press the L or R arrows to move the dish, nothing happens to the dish and I get a pop-up saying 'Reach To The East Limit'...?

By default the receiver comes with positioner limits set such that it is not possible to move the motor!! You have to change the limit settings before the actuator is allowed to actuate!!
5000 seems to be just an arbitary value, which means nothing in terms of degrees. Incedentaly, if you get the motor wires crossed-over it will go W instead of E when you press the left button.... etc.

6) Does it matter how the sensor is connected at the motor end? One wire is grey, the other black.

It doesn't.

Make sure that you set the limits on the motor early on. My receiver went loopy and lost its positions when i dissconected it...!? It automatically aimed for astra 1 (last sat it was set to) and having lost it's bearings, ended up fouling the motor pole on the motor terminal box at the east extreme. Fortunately, no damage done.

Another point; having set all the angles to the best of my DIY ability (combination of spirit levels and cardboard angle templates), it was the rotational angle of the dish on the motor pole that made all the difference. I suggest, set all the angles as best you can and then tweak the dish rotationally, untill you get the best signal on Thor. Well it worked for me!

I hope this helps a little to someone. I will be back asking for advice on CAM's !!

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Excellent post and I am sure it will help lots of us.

Sorry you had to search for info but that's half the fun.

Now you're set up I look forward to your CAMs questions.

Took my a couple of weeks to get my dish correct!!!

uriah

Reaction score
Thanks Gameboy!
I hope that it may be of use to fellow newbies. I seem to be receiving all the major sats from 28E to 30W ok, but haven't tried finding any of the minor sats other than Sirius at 5E and that seems ok. I guess the proof of the pudding will come when I try to view a weak analogue channel in poor weather.
I have been donated an Aston CAM and also a Baby Keymaster Programmer... took one look at the instructions and decided that I need to take a break from head scratching for a while!!
Cheers
Uriah