Telephone Connection...........

j.m.

Sorry I'm a bit Dim
Reaction score
Website
www.thomsonsecurity.com
My Location
NW UK (Lancashire)
Why is it my digibox phones home @ various times of the day. I do not have a contract with Sky & only use my box for freeview...... What data is being transferred?

I have recently unplugged my digibox from the phone line (Due to a shortage of broadband filters :rolleyes: ) & the unavailable channel notices have changed from: Phone sky for an upgrade to view this. To: This viewing card is not authorised..... Blah blah blah.

Just general interest this I'm not whining & getting all Big brother about it :)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you are not subscribing, it shouldn't be trying to phone home. Unless perhaps it has a card full of unaccounted PPV information from when you did subscribe.

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
I unplugged my landline too as it is a resident 'grass' that shop's you to Sky when you order PPV!.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Do you have kids that use the digibox to play games? Or even the auction channels? These both have the option to use the digibox telephone connection for communicating out.

Also, are you getting the "Freeview" channles only i.e. not getting ITV, C4 and Five? What version of card do you have, is it the old light blue one or the later dark blue type with a picture of a house in yellow?

PaulR

j.m.

Sorry I'm a bit Dim
Reaction score
Website
www.thomsonsecurity.com
My Location
NW UK (Lancashire)
PaulR said:
Do you have kids that use the digibox to play games? Or even the auction channels? These both have the option to use the digibox telephone connection for communicating out.

Also, are you getting the "Freeview" channles only i.e. not getting ITV, C4 and Five? What version of card do you have, is it the old light blue one or the later dark blue type with a picture of a house in yellow?

PaulR
Nope no kids
No Ch 3,4,5 (Awaiting new card)
I have a Pace 2200 With its Original card Circa 2000 Old Old Card

***Edit***
New card arrived! :)
See what happens now (only took em 48 Hrs to deliver~Ordered on line)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
As the oldstyle card doesn't do anything at all now try leaving it out of the box completely.

I had a problem (possibly 2 unrelated problems) a year or so ago on my Sony 750 which may be relevant to you. I use the FTV card and don't have the box connected to the phone line. I was being troubled by one of the LEDs on the front of the box lighting up several times during the evening as if was trying to make an outgoing call. I also had a programme in the TV scheduler which I couldn't delete - I thought this might have been the source of my problems.

It took some time but I eventually found that getting rid of the unwanted scheduled programme involved putting the card in - don't laugh - upside down at one point. There were a few other steps involved which I forget now but the TV scheduler was now empty.

The LED continued to blink for a little while after that but eventually stopped so I cannot say whether the 2 things were related for sure.

Does your LED come on when you get the TV message? I never got any messages on the screen so this may not be the same as your problem.

PaulR

j.m.

Sorry I'm a bit Dim
Reaction score
Website
www.thomsonsecurity.com
My Location
NW UK (Lancashire)
To be honest ....... Its allways acted like this...... Its just acting like I have a contract :-) (Without the extra channels tho) Schedule thingi works fine ...... It just calls up usually late evening & or very early morning.... I don't perceve this to be a problem, I was just "Interested" as to what info was being too'd & Fro'd ...... Nothing I do with the box (Other than new install or interactive) will make it dial ........ JM