Testing for a signal beforehand

willo30

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+HD.
My Location
Wirral, UK
Hi, this is probably a really stupid question but here goes anyway.

Is there any way I can check too see if I can get any satellite signals with a meter or something before actually buying any satellite equipment.

The reason I ask is because I am not sure I will be able to get any signals in the only place I can set a dish. The problem I have is that the signals seem to come from over my house and the furthest I can get the dish away from the house is approx 18m. Another problem is the max height I can probably raise the dish is about 6ft due to a very large tree next door which the neighbour has kindly said I can take some off but the dish would still need to be pointing from below it.

As you can see I do not want to go out and spend hundreds of pounds to find that it won't work.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You need a site visit from someone who knows what they are doing. You will have to pay for their time of course, but wouldnt need to buy anything beforehand.

NOT a sky ladder monkey - they will take one look and say "no chance mate"

Put a request in the "installers wanted" section detailing the problem and see if anyone in your area will come and have a look.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Yes, a full site survey required. Normally these consist of advice/guidance of fixing/dish mounting, cable run and possible arc reception received.

willo30

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+HD.
My Location
Wirral, UK
Thanks, will post in the installers wanted as suggested.

bigtee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky; Raven 90 multi-LNB 1W,5E, 7E, 9E, 13E 16E, 19E, 28E; 60cm Triax dish on Moteck SG2100 motor; Various Receivers
My Location
Kent, UK
Site visit, yes; but even as a precursor, you can go to dishpointer.com, enter your address, drag the baloon to possible dish-siting spot and 'tell' theapplication to display obstacles to line of sight.

willo30

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+HD.
My Location
Wirral, UK
Thanks for the pointer. If dishpointer is correct then I have no chance putting it at the back of the garden. The only reason reason I was looking at putting it at the back of the garden is because the wife did not want it visible from the front of the house. This now leads me to my next question, if the dish was to go on a pole attached to the back of the house, do the signals come in at an angle so as to not see the dish from the front. Dishpointer give me the impression that the dish could sit approx 2.5m below the top (which I presume would be the bottom of the dish so in effect would be 1.5m). If this is the case then this could be the way to go for me.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
You could of course get rid of the wife and put the dish on the front of the house :)

But in answer to your question, yes see the picture for angle of incidence

Attachments

• dish.jpg
    dish.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 23

willo30

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+HD.
My Location
Wirral, UK
As tempting as getting rid of the wife is she is actually buying me this system for Christmas, I have just got to sort out the fitting.

I have told her about £200 should be able to get something decent, is this correct or would it not be up to much.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
For that budget you should get a decent satellite system. Allow for around £120 - £180 for professional installation.

obie1

Reaction score
willo30 said:
As tempting as getting rid of the wife is she is actually buying me this system for Christmas, I have just got to sort out the fitting.

I have told her about £200 should be able to get something decent, is this correct or would it not be up to much.

Maybe you could try D**h Pointer.c*m and type in your lat and long for your location and it might give you a good idea.

obie1