Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
That's weird!

Have you told your ISP?

Yes they claim it is because I am using wifi for my main PC now that they sited the hub downstairs next to the TV, they claim there is EM interference from some equipment either in my house or my neighbours, but the technicians in Mumbai all know more than me. or so they claim.... I am planning on cabling down the cavity to the hub as soon as my bathroom project is finished cos I am fed up of losing my temper with these people.

BTW some days it is less than 1Mb/s download speed

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Well the best of luck tinkering with your cavity, sahib :oops:

A nonymous

Reaction score
If you have issues with a BT internet service you need to post on the BT Forum. Thats how I got my issues fixed. There's absolutely no point in ringing BTs so called customer services, most of them haven't got a grasp of basic English, never mind having the ability to sort your problems out.

Most of the moderators on the BT Forum work for BT and are native English speakers so you have much more chance of getting your problems resolved rather than ringing those useless tw**s in Calcutta or what ever city in India BTs call centre resides in. Once i posted my issue on the forum it didn't take long before one of the moderators took ownership of the problem and got it sorted out quite quickly.

Nano

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Yes, BT CS is useless (though British Gas is not far off). A fault on my line meant that I was getting about a 1/4Mb (that's 256kbps) on a line that syncs at 8Mbit.

A lot better now after fault fixed and exchange upgraded to 21CN.

3324739581.png

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
Yeah they aren't great on customer service.

They should look at Be, shame sky has bought them out as the customer service is excellent even though it's based in Bulgaria I think, speak better English than I do.

A lot of people are putting up with bt to get the sport channels I reckon, I've been considering it after leaving bt over 10 years ago.

A nonymous

Reaction score
I think it was the £100 Sainsbury giftcard that persuaded me :D

Quite strangely it was only offered to those who were migrating from Virgin Media, it was only £25 to everyone else.

Nano

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
Can I send you some electric string and tap into yours? It's only a 20 mile run!
If it wasn't for them there hills being in the way we could have experimented with microwave links lol

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
I could make use of our Community Broadband, but the cost is too high.

It's one of those conundrums whereby the cost deters new entrants to the scheme, but only when the number of users rises will the price come down!

How does that work, does the village have to put up a percentage of the cost of the equipment to get bt to do it and guarantee numbers of subscribers.

Or has some of the people living there put up the money and you pay a subscription type thing through them ?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
The Council and their Provider (Clannet) finance the infrastructure (Base Station, Microwave Links and local repeater. They seek to recover the investment from Government Grants and Subscriptions. Not very successfully as the predecessor Provider went bust.

The Local Repeater here is the first subscriber who has a small dish (20cm or so) on his roof to duplex with the base station.

Subsequent subscribers in line of sight and range have a similar antenna to communicate with the first one.

Speed is about 25-30Mbps.

Subscribers with a Business element to their Subscription pay more but get higher priority when the system is highly contended.

It doesn't have much to do with BT except where it links into their High-Speed ADSL Trunk.

That's about all I know.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire

Hixxy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800/7020Si/7000S, VU+ Duo, Skybox F3 & F5, TM1000D, Skystar 2 DVBdream, Triax TD110, Darkmotor, Inverto Black, Hotbird 13 Zone 2 MK 4, 28.2 Zone 1 MK4
My Location
East Midlands
That is pretty decent for your location, in fact it's blooming marvellous, it must be all the rain causing a short circuit in the flooded basement at the exchange....:p

It's all pressurised to keep the water out.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
It's all pressurised to keep the water out.

So was the one in New York but that still got flooded out and destroyed all the old copper cabling (they replaced everything with fibreoptics after that tidal surge flood)... :p

Of course, it's a smart idea to keep telephone exchanges above flood plains, sea level and away from rivers, same with houses really, but, people didn't believe they could ever get flooded out.... :confused