The alternative to Sky

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Quite a few contributors have shown their opposition to Sky and why not, this is a democratic forum after all. Mind you the "I hate Rupe argument" doesn't convince me as a reason for jacking in Sky. So, as I am always willing to try to save money where I can, perhaps anyone can post alternatives here. I'm looking for a digital system which can improve on these attributes:

Cheap to install
Easy to set up
Smallish dish so it's fairly unobtrusive
Strong digital signal
Varied programmes (in English) to cover prime sport, films, news, music and documentaries.
Interactive capability
Digital radio stations
Costs less than the £10 a week I'm paying now
After a year the receiver becomes my property and can't be reclaimed by the provider.

Go on let's have a bit of fun

Jimbo

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
Don't see one anywhere, stick with SKY, we hate them but they are the BEST.

malling

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Midlands UK
Ok... lets have a go....

Cheap to install

Do it yourself, it is a hobby after all - £500 for manhattan 6800, 1m dish, manhattan mount 120, lots cable, season interface.

Easy to set up

Diseqc finds sats auto - real easy - program favourite channels and the dish moves and tunes in automatic!!!

Smallish dish

1m could always paint it a nice colour the neighbours like...

Strong digital signal

100% quality - 85% signal most sats

Varied programmes in english

OK here goes prob more than this

Sport - dont know i dont follow it - palco futbol, boxeo

News - ITV news, sky news, bbc world, euronews, bbc parliament, cnn, cnn int. - (all free)

Fiilms - cine cinema premiere, c+16/9, c+juaune, c+bleu, the studio, p-cine 1 - 15 16/9, premiere 1 - 7, gran via, gran via 2, gran via c, ippv1, ippv2, ippv3.

Music - (free) mtv central, chart show tv, p-rock, stanice o, viva, viva plus, 123sat, tmf9, tmc2, enter.

Music - tmf, mcm europe, mtv2 pop channel, mtv f, mtv hits, mtv base, vh1 classic, mtv2, vh1.

Documentary - national geographic, bbc prime, discovery, animal planet(24hours), natura, people and art, cultura.

Kids - boomerang, cartoon network.

XXX - x-zone, sexy hot, palco xx, palco x, playboy, private gold, canal 18 + lots free to air and encrypted soft mature content.

Various - motors tv, fashion tv, game network, reality tv, game one, dating channel, channel health, hallmark + auction world and shopping channels(mostly free to air)

Thats nearly 100 channels already, xxx is better than skys offering and the film channels show the films when we have to pay box office prices for them!!!!

Interactive capability

program now and next, teletext, the season interface interacts more than i do!!!

Digital radio stations

Lots and lots, more than sky.

Costs less than £10 a week

Nothing, noat.

After a year the receiver becomes my property and can't be reclaimed by the provider.

Its mine I bought it - 2 year guarantee.

Yes, lets have some fun....

Malling. :D

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Nice postings -

If you can take out the small dish requirements ( 3.7mtr H-H S, C, and KU band equipped ) and low costs then my solution nets you 4437 channels from most areas of the world including USA network has an example.

Yes the investment is high and you need a nice big garden - and a very forgiving partner, but how you can impress them next door and dont forget all of the fun during installation - digging a nice big hole adding in the steel work along with 2 mtrs of concrete. just the thing for those sunday afternoons.

I agree you can have alot of fun with this topic -

Old Satellite

H

haveagoade

If you think sky is good value for money and enjoy it then........

YOU ARE WATCHING FAR TOO MUCH TV
:D

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Cheap to install
Easy to set up
Smallish dish so it's fairly unobtrusive
Strong digital signal
Varied programmes (in English) to cover prime sport, films, news, music and documentaries.
Interactive capability
Digital radio stations
Costs less than the £10 a week I'm paying now

Apart from the interactive facility it sounds like Freeview with an extremely small dish

Again on another planet / another dimension far far away, everything enjoyable is free, only the opt out facility costs

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
@CH

everything enjoyable is free

Reasonable effort 5/10. Isn't the quoted statement round the wrong way?

@Malling

V. good effort ....lot of thought 8/10

@Haveagoade

1/10 for repeating yourself

@OS

5/10 for making me laugh

Happy New Year all

Jimbo

malling

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Midlands UK
Thanks Jimbo, ok for saying what time I posted 4.00AM and had more than a few beers in me......

Perhaps even more channels with new conax emulator... cant get it to work though... bugger :mad:

Malling.