Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I have just witnessed the biggest fiasco in F1 since I started watching the sport some 46 years ago. For me it marks the end of my interest in the sport. The situation has arisen because the Indi track owners in an effort give the IRL cars more grip and more safety diamond cut the track surface but forgot to inform the F1 people and the Michelin tyres proved dangerous to the extent that 9 tyres were destroyed after less than 10 laps and 2 actually exploded, the latter causing Ralph Schumaker to have a major accident for the 2nd year running. Michelin refused to let drivers running Michelin tyres to run the race, and a compromise of a chicane on the problem section the ' 9 degree banked ' track to slow the cars down was not agreed to by Ferrari. Thus all the Michelin cars peeled of after the parade lap leaving the spectators whistling and booing and creating the biggest farce in F1 history. A six car race 2 Ferraris two Minardis and two Jordans. Joke or what!!!!
({}) ({}) :-doh!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ive been following F1 since the late 1970's and this is a very sad day. This is an absolute disaster for the sport, and I find it hard to believe that some compromise couldnt be hammered out (or enforced if neccessary) to avoid this farce.

Terrydlm

Learning Fast !
Reaction score
Website
www.delamare.gg
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM-1500CI+ and
Technisat SkyStar 2 USB HD and
Humax Foxsat-HD and
Humax Foxsat-HDR
TriAx 80cm Dish driven by a Darksat Motor.
Inverto 0.2db Silver Tech lnb.
My Location
Guernsey
This is a sad day for F1. I really hope that the GPWC takes off but somehow i don't think it will. Today has certainly helped the GPWC though.

There is a good Champ Car race in the US now though on Eurosport. It;s making up for my F1 disappointment & Justin Wilson is in the lead !

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
For those of us who don't follow F1 or like me have given up on it, here is a link to the GPWC what it stands for (an acronym hater here) and what they plan.

Like many here, I was embarrassed by the whole farsical affair, how an organisation can let the situation end like it did is a mystery to me. It was pure greed and expectation of huge paydays which led them to push for racing in the US and pretty much the same in China, but for them to mismanage the situation to such a degree leaves me bemused.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
toppervte33h said:
The situation has arisen because the Indi track owners in an effort give the IRL cars more grip and more safety diamond cut the track surface but forgot to inform the F1 people and the Michelin tyres proved dangerous to the extent that 9 tyres were destroyed after less than 10 laps and 2 actually exploded, the latter causing Ralph Schumaker to have a major accident for the 2nd year running.

Ferrari claim that they knew about the track improvements, ( but then they did come first)

Latest rules forbid a change of tyres brought in late, even though many of the teams could have changed away from Michelins at the last moment

Who is right?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It's all part of a big power struggle and unfortunately the main losers today were the spectators, longer term it could well be F1, they've almost certainly shot their bolt in the US.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
rolfw said:
longer term it could well be F1, they've almost certainly shot their bolt in the US.
I thought that happened when Mansell found it more enjoyable to go round an oval track.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
F1 was the reason I set up a satellite system all those years ago for Eurosport when they had the coverage and were FTA.

Feel sorry for the spectators - including the TV viewers. Rules are rules and I agree with Ferrari why change them because a certain make of tyre doesn't work. Michelin should have known the condition of the track - that's their job!

From my understanding the problem was the fast corner (turn 13) where they wanted a chicane built - why - to slow the cars down.

Why slow ALL the cars down when the Ferrari's could cope with the track? It's an Indi track, you can overtake on the corners! They could have raced but the Michelin teams would have to have slowed down round that corner.

In the end money was the reason the 'race' went ahead - you don't need to refund people if they had a 'race' to watch.

Don't think we've heard the end of this by a long shot - so no US race - no great loss.

Maybe Bernie will refund everyone from his own pocket - he's made enough from the sport.

IMHO

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
In the land of litigation I wonder when the first writs from disgruntled fans will hit the FIA doormat.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
gameboy said:
From my understanding the problem was the fast corner (turn 13) where they wanted a chicane built - why - to slow the cars down.

Why slow ALL the cars down when the Ferrari's could cope with the track? It's an Indi track, you can overtake on the corners! They could have raced but the Michelin teams would have to have slowed down round that corner. IMHO

I wonder which side of the fence Ferrari would have stood on had they been running on Michelin.:)

At the end of the day, anyone with any sense could see that the new tyre rules were a recipe for disaster, the disaster coming sooner rather than later, but gladly at a cost to F1 rather than human life.

There could have been a compromise deal cut, but running the cars on the existing tyres would, according to Michelin, have been a danger to life and pretty certainly leave them open to mammoth litigation.

I don't pretend to know too much about the technicalities, but have to rely on the pundits' and professionals' opinions, can't remember any of them being impressed with the handling of the fiasco.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
One would think that all these rich and powerful grown men could have sorted something out before raceday, something that would have satisfied the viewing public who paid good money to watch a farce. There will obviously be a big inquest and I bet there will be only one tyre manufacturer sooner rather than later. There is a conspiracy theory going around that this was all done deliberately to get rid of one manufacturer and a one race to reduce the calendar for next year.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The draft regulations proposed for the 2008 season make interesting reading. A single tyre supplier for starters. (Dont think much of Mitchelins chances now! :D)

h**p://www.fia.com/mediacentre/Press_Releases/FIA_Sport/2005/June/160605-02.html

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
can't remember any of them being impressed with the handling of the fiasco.

Which tyres was that running on then ?? O-Ha

L.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Ah yes, the old Ford Fiasco, what a handler. :)

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
they could have done lots of things to run. For example-

1) Install a chicane to enable Michelin runners to race (obviously)
2) To compensate the Bridgestone runners, award them all 12 points automatically. This would enable a championship fight continuation between Raikoneen and Alonso, but also help Schumacher back in the Championship!!!
3) Promote all Bridgestone runners to front of grid in qualification order.

This is all academic now though. Perhaps they should consider running an extra round at Indy following the Chinese GP to allow all the ticket holders to see a real race... could make it a charity event in some way, then everyones happy!!!
However, we know they wont do that, its too good willed for F1. This has been coming for some time with the FIA and GPWC movement, I think perhaps this maybe the end unless manufactuers gain more control, they seemed to be willing to race with penalities, it was only FIA and Michelin that had a problem.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Salty25 said:
they could have done lots of things to run. For example-

3) Promote all Bridgestone runners to front of grid in qualification order.

I think that was the option they chose (the Michelin route was to take a right turn immediately after the warm up)

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
rolfw said:
Ah yes, the old Ford Fiasco, what a handler. :)

with the Carlos Fandango custom wheels ?

Terrydlm

Learning Fast !
Reaction score
Website
www.delamare.gg
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM-1500CI+ and
Technisat SkyStar 2 USB HD and
Humax Foxsat-HD and
Humax Foxsat-HDR
TriAx 80cm Dish driven by a Darksat Motor.
Inverto 0.2db Silver Tech lnb.
My Location
Guernsey
I know that Michelin messed up big time for the US Grand Prix BUT i don't think they should be written off.

Who's tyres have won ALL of the 2005 Grand Prix up to now ? Yes Michelin. Their tyres can't be that bad.

Michelin will have learnt a big lesson and you can bet your bottom dollar (if you had not wasted them buying US Grand Prix tickets that is) that this kind of mistake won't happen again any time soon.

If the FIA/Bernie do go for a one tyre supplier which supplier will it be ? Ferrari tyre's or Michelin tyres ? Another argument as Michelin teams won't want Ferrari tyres & visa verca.

To err is human !

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I cant believe that in a world where monopoly is contested (well on paper anyway) the FIA(s.c.o.) would consider bringing in a one stop shop for rubber

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Terrydlm said:
Who's tyres have won ALL of the 2005 Grand Prix up to now ?

Ferrari and Bridgestone abmitted at the start of this season that their tyres were a main reson for their bad performance.

Maybe they should have asked for chicanes to be added to slow the rest down!

Michelin will have learnt a big lesson

Share price dropped 1.5 percent today!

If the FIA/Bernie do go for a one tyre supplier which supplier will it be ?

For years Good Year were the only F1 tyre suppliers - still doesn't mean the all have the same tyres. Ferrari still have a deal that gives them first option of the latest technology from Bridgestone - Money talks

Check the F1 tyre stats here... _http://www.allf1.info/tyres.php