The excuses from Sky installer

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Just had a customer call me with regards to interference and some non-operation of a Sky system thats been running for three years in Camden.

The dish has a quad LNB for normal Sky in one room and a Sky+ system in the basement, where there is also a DiSEqC motorised receiver that gets signals off a 1m dish approximately 2m above the Sky satellite.

The interference that has been apparently checked out by the installer that came round yesterday has been apparently blamed on the proximity of the two dishes, and the installer has persuaded the customer to call back the original installer of the motorised system to move the dish another three metres away from their most recent dish fitted.

Has anyone else heard of this resaon (not that anyone with any engineering/communications experience belive it) , and is this a new Sky ploy to boost their market in the UK?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
It would depend on if the problem started after the motorised dish was set up.

Why didn't the Sky guy just move his dish even if it wasn't the problem?

I hope the motorised installer just moves the Sky dish, even if his set up is the problem, that's the easy option.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
gameboy said:
It would depend on if the problem started after the motorised dish was set up.

Why didn't the Sky guy just move his dish even if it wasn't the problem?

I hope the motorised installer just moves the Sky dish, even if his set up is the problem, that's the easy option.

The problem started not long after Sky+ was installed (and the quad LN:cool:, not the motorised dish.

The Sky installer could not have really bothered doing anything like climb a ladder, anyway, moving the small dish round the corner away from the rear wall would confirm that the suggestion of interference from two receive only systems out of way from the signal was simply a method of getting out of doing any work.

Thanks for the suggestion of moving the Sky dish though, getting to the 1m unit means a long ladder.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Channel Hopper said:
The problem started not long after Sky+ was installed (and the quad LN:cool:, not the motorised dish.

Droopy dish from the extra weight of the LNB / additional cabling??

Dish marginally misaligned by a cackhanded installer??

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
i would say its more likely the quad lnb weighting the arm down and the installer should have elevated the dish abit higher

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
wod said:
i would say its more likely the quad lnb weighting the arm down and the installer should have elevated the dish abit higher

Is that not what AS was saying?

Great minds, think a like.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Analoguesat said:
Droopy dish from the extra weight of the LNB / additional cabling??

Dish marginally misaligned by a cackhanded installer??

Both are probables.

However if I now move the Sky dish on the other wall (without the same cackhandedness), it will seem that the problem has been resolved as per the 'advice'. Add to that the travel, replacement bolts, additional cable/connectors, and the issue becomes whether I can be bothered to spend a day proving to the customer that he has been stitched up a kipper, and has been paying a set of monthly debits all along by BSkyB, for their intermittent 'quality' service/backup.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
And after repeated calss back to Sky headquarters, they have confirmed that the last 'engineer' was talking the proverbial manure, just to get off early.

They will be returning today to carry out whatever is needed to fix the original issues, will keep you posted as to what it was (but freezing of Sky+ recordings is a common problem n'estpas ?)