the input rate of receiver

highflyer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
MAXPLUS
My Location
nl
Hi, I checked the max. input rate of different receivers. some of them can reach 80Mbit/s, some of them are only 15Mbit/s. is it important to have the receiver with high input bit? what 's the max input rate for TV normally? thanks.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Normally the 15Mbit/sec would be allocated to the minimum spec on a comercial receiver (or one used for older style reception on a dedicated transmission for subscriber card only)

For this type of hobby the best ones to go for are 1 - 35 (or even 45) Mbit/s
(though a while ago there were receivers in the Echostar and Manhattan brand name that claimed these figures, but could not reach 32Mbit/sec.

Are you sure you have got the right specification?

highflyer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
MAXPLUS
My Location
nl
thanks, at least it is declared in the spec of Maxplus 2100+ (made in S. Korea). there is anther parameter called demod. rate, which is 2~45Ms/s. what's the difference between these two parameters?

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Bits/sec refers to i.f. passband of the receiver. Max bitrate is (approx) twice frequency passband. Too narrow passband filtering of the i.f. will distort the signal and increase demodulation error rate.

Symbol rate depends on modulation system used, which - at least currently - is QPSK for satellite (2 symbol bits per phaseshift).

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Oops, hang on, I might have got that the wrong way round, it could be "user bits per phase symbol", rather than "bit symbols per phase shift".

Sorry, it depends how the terms are initially defined, offhand I can't remember without looking it up!

(added) having just looked, it seems I did get it right way round 1st time (phew!), ie it's defined as "bits per symbol"!