Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ok ep 1 has aired and first impressions count.

What do you think so far??

I think its great - carries on all the best traditions of the old series, has some excellent comic moments, and a good looking assistant. :)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yep, liked the look of it and was quite pleased with the Northerner. :) As he said, it isn't only Earth with has Northerners. :)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
On too late for the right generation to carry it on, besides it was always a family show .

Donzo Bonzo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax and Echostar receivers, Dragon, two dishes, one fixed 100cm dish pointing at Hotbird, and a 90cm motorised dish; plus a rubbish DVD recorder and cool DVD players, and lots of cables!! Oh, yeah, and a video recorder - best invention yet!!
I have to disagree, I found this episode to be completely off key. Yes, the TARDIS was there and the signature tune but where was the story? I could have written it on the back of a postage stamp.

And there was far too much comedy and the dialogue was fairly non existent. Consisted basically of "hello I am the Dr, who are you? Guess where we're gonna, wanna follow!?"

And another essential element was missing. THE CLIFFHANGER.

Dr Who cannot be Dr Who without a cliffhanger, the cliffhanger reigned for almost 30 years, but Russel T Davies seemed to think it wasn't necesary. Some of these stories used to go on for six weeks and it was great tuning in each week. Seemed Russell couldn't be @rsed and wanted to finish the story before his supper.

I seriously cannot see this new series lasting. The part at the end where they showed next week's story didn't seem interesting to me.

Glad I have the old stories on DVDs and videos. I needed that to remind me what a great TV concept this show ONCE WAS!!

Not anymore. Alas.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I had a feeling this might be one of those polls where feeling was totally polarised with no middle ground :)

At least the explosions are better than in the 1970's :D

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
That's alright, there is always BBC 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, etc for repeats. :)

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Great poll!

Liked it a lot. I think you've gotta give a little leeway on the story side. After such a long break, I think we just needed a little warm-up first. :)

Thought BP was a bit dopey, and didn't appreciate just how much weight she'd put on. What a fat arse! Think she'll improve though. Acting-wise, not arse-wise... :)

Agree that the northerner was good. Also slightly aggravated by the 'sort of' scene. Lame.

Very good overall. Inherited much of what was good, and added plenty of quality effects and stuff. The Dr Who Geeks will never let it die again. Neither will the BBC after the investment they've chucked in.

What's all this multi-director stuff about? Won't there be a knock-on problem with style continuity?!?!?!

Love it regardless. So did my 9/11 year olds. (9 year old even hiding behind the sofa during the manikin sketch!) LOL...

:D

THEHULK

Reaction score
havn't laughed so much in ages, changed the doctor & rose to wallace & gromit and made it into a 'cracking adventure':)

won't be watching again though.:-toilet

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
BGonaSTICK said:
Great poll!

Liked it a lot. I think you've gotta give a little leeway on the story side. After such a long break, I think we just needed a little warm-up first. :)

Thought BP was a bit dopey, and didn't appreciate just how much weight she'd put on. What a fat arse! Think she'll improve though. Acting-wise, not arse-wise... :)
:D

You may have set the TV screen format to 'wide' by accident ?

As for 'story', Im not sure what part Russell T has actually scripted here, manikins taking over the Earth was done once before, and if I recall, rather similar to this one.

Donzo Bonzo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax and Echostar receivers, Dragon, two dishes, one fixed 100cm dish pointing at Hotbird, and a 90cm motorised dish; plus a rubbish DVD recorder and cool DVD players, and lots of cables!! Oh, yeah, and a video recorder - best invention yet!!
Hunk, I think you hit the nail on the head there, Chris Eccelston seemed to think he was in the League Of Gentleman or Little Britain.

That part where the plastic hand was trying to strangle him while Rose was evidently seeing what was going on, was so bloody daft and embarrassing.

Why all that comedy? The old Dr Whos were never like that. I point you to such classics as The Deamons, Genesis of the Daleks, The Ark In Space...

I couldn't understand why Eccelston thought he had to be this brash Northerner with the intelligence level of a Chav. And why that thick accent when he's actually got quite a good stage voice.

Piper too was pushed into sounding like a reject from EastEnders. It may have been fun to some people, but I bet after two or three weeks of the same, you'll be pig sick of it.

And look at the time slot? 7pm? It should be on Children's telly before Blue Peter! Tis a sad day for Dr Who fans, for I fear this show will never come back now. It's had two attempts and no-one is able to recreate the feeling of either the shows starring the doctor up to Colin Baker. :(

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Gotta say that it shows promise but it's not there yet.

I could do without the music soundtrack all the time and there was far too much home/background life for Rose clogging up the screen. Rose was a bit too Eastenders for me ("What choo fink?") and conversely Christopher Eccleston seemed to put his Salford accent on a bit too much at times.

I agree that it was all over a bit too quickly. I would like to see some multi part stories with the famous cliff hanger featured prominently. I like the more organic look to the inside of the Tardis but what happened to the electronic noises that used to accompany the interior scenes..

I suppose that a first episode, and that's what it is for a huge number of people, has to do a lot a character introduction and that there will be more story in episodes yet to come. And coming up are the Daleks, can't wait for that.

What chance for an episode entitled "The Nine Doctors"?

PaulR

H

Happy-Buddah

From what I have seen of Ant & Dec, whilst flipping through channels to get back into text, "anything" could wipe the floor of them.

H-B

Donzo Bonzo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Never did like Ant and Dec. I don't mind Ant, the one who looks like the Frankenstein monster, but he's still crap. No talent.

But it's that little titch Dec I can't stand. |The short @rse is only 5 feet 4! Titch! :) He always has this ignorant grin that says "yeah, I am crap, but look at me, on £80,000 per week for hosting all these crap shows like Pop Idol and I'm A Celebrity..."

I wish neither of them any harm, but I think their bubble is about to burst. They have reached their limit ages ago. Even die hard fans are piggin' sick of them. ;)

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
PaulR said:
Gotta say that it shows promise but it's not there yet.

Have to say I agree with PaulR, shows promise but it still has a LONG way to go yet. More funny than scarey and both lead charactars need to work together, it seemed to me they were acting more like individuals- not much team work. Hope it gets better.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
The Heaven and Earth Show on now , Christopher Eccleston is being interviewed in a few minutes

jaxom

Reaction score
Didn't get to see the first episode but I did catch last night's. I think that there really is a long way to go yet with this. Christopher Ecclestone is a fine actor but I had the impression that he may be a secret pig farmer as there was so much ham flying around! Yes, the show has been dragged into the future with up to date FX but the script (last night at least) was IMHO did not match. There were some funny lines but was that what Dr Who was about? Nor was the whole story wrapped up in one episode.

I know that I am older (well much older really) now but where were the scary parts and suspense? Even though I may be a bit large to get behind my sofa these days, I didn't feel any need to.

All that said, I thought it was good entertainment and will be watching more episodes.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Had a laugh at the Platform 2 sequence on the space station - if I'm not very much mistaken, it was filmed in a BT exchange cable chamber O-Ha

Llew

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
It'll be interesting to see how the viewing figures stack up after the next couple of episodes, they may well survive on nostalgia alone, but I wasn't overly impressed by the last one.

Status
Not open for further replies.