The Real Deal Or The Clone

bwuddywabbit

Reaction score
:confusedHi Guys,
Are we better buying the over priced Dreambox 8000HDPVR or buying the new clones that are £400 or £500 cheaper being released from China, can anyone enlighten me please, because what i have read so far they seem to be close to the real deal, its apparently hard to tell the difference, anybody got one to let us know?
regards,
The Wabbit
:confused

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
There are more to it than Dreambox mate

Have a look around, AZ box is one and I know a few more.

They are original, I say - stay away from clones.

kh975

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
nss7 on c-band and is7/10 ku-band
My Location
south africa
whats the differenc btween dreambox and other made.

kh975

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
nss7 on c-band and is7/10 ku-band
My Location
south africa
whats the differenc btween dreambox and other made.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Dreambox have been around longer & have more hobby support for them.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Dreambox have been around longer & have more hobby support for them.

SMS602

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
satellite
My Location
london
I HAVE A DREAMBOX DM8000 HD AND A AZBOX ELLITE
AND MY DM8000 IS much better more softwear out for dreambox then azbox

B16MCC

Dreambox Gimp & Coder
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 Dreamboxes..........
---------------------------------------------
--- DM 8000 HD PVR & DM 800 HD ---
Motek SG2100 & Triax 80cm Dual LNB
------ Fixed Dish 28e Quad LNB -------
---- Sly HD Full & 24" Apple iMAC ----
My Location
/var/tuxbox/config
There's no doubt the Dreambox is the superior machine, however the debate continues as to whether you should buy a clone or not. I've bought 9 Dreamboxes so far 6 of which for my own use over the last 5 years. I basically started as many do with the 500 and worked my way up to the new 8000. I have never bought a clone, and would never advise anyone to do so. The biggest reason for me is not really down to the hardware itself, but more from where it comes from. I would not consider spending several hundred quid on a unit from China ! The customer service and after sales support in some extreme cases is totally non existant. I'm sure suppliers exist that aren't that bad, but I simply wouldn't risk it. As for the actual hardware, there are restrictions and issues, is it really worth it ?

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Master Focus 90cm .Gigablue UHD Quad 4K on TM 2600 motor. *Tm 5402 HD M3, *Atemio Nemesis. *Not Used.
My Location
Southern England
I haven't had much time to pursue my satellite hobby but I am now getting back into it. I have done loads of research on the Dreambox and the clones. The Chinese quality is often as good but its the principle to me. There is alot of R&D into designing these boxes, if we all purchased copies in time there would be no originals. I am thinking of getting the Dreambox 8000HD. I want someone to shout at if it goes wrong, I don't want to ship it back to China with a fault, I don't want to wait weeks for its return. If I spend near on £900 for a box with extra tuners and hard drive I like to know there is someone a UK phone call away to help if needed. Now all I have to do is find a good supplier at a fair price. :-thumbup

B16MCC said:
There's no doubt the Dreambox is the superior machine, however the debate continues as to whether you should buy a clone or not. I've bought 9 Dreamboxes so far 6 of which for my own use over the last 5 years. I basically started as many do with the 500 and worked my way up to the new 8000. I have never bought a clone, and would never advise anyone to do so. The biggest reason for me is not really down to the hardware itself, but more from where it comes from. I would not consider spending several hundred quid on a unit from China ! The customer service and after sales support in some extreme cases is totally non existant. I'm sure suppliers exist that aren't that bad, but I simply wouldn't risk it. As for the actual hardware, there are restrictions and issues, is it really worth it ?

A nonymous

Reaction score
I have had both Original and Clone Dreamboxes and they have both worked aswell as each other :D

The clones are usually made to a good standard and have been as reliable as the original for half the price :-Cgrin

If Dream Multimedia would stop being so greedy and market their boxes at a reasonable cost then people wouldn't bother buying the clone would they.

There are other boxes that do the same job that aren't made by DMM that work just aswell if your willing to put the time in.

I won't buy another Genuine Dreambox after the stunt they pulled last year which wiped out my 100% Genuine Dreambox. DMM were no help whatsoever and couldn't give a rats arse that their malicious software wrecked my box.

:-hny

Nano

zoro25

Attack of the Clones
Reaction score
Website
www.thetestmanager.com
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800 - Nabilosat Image and 250gig Hard-drive (pointing at 28.2E)
Dreambox 7020 with 120 gig hard-drive disk - running a motorised dish
DM600 +DM500
although only usually the 800 and 7020 are both on.
My Location
UK
I'm surprised and this is the first time I've heard of a software bomb wiping out an original machine.

I've tried originals and clones also. A couple of Originals and many many clones :-)

I'd rate the originals a little higher although and for support DMM has been average at best with me.

The clone seller who I use I have a good relationship with so they give me a good service and so far I've one had one broken 500 which couldn't get a network connection on (worked fine if you did not want to share).

I think the clone sellers rely on the fact that it's not worth it for most people sending a DM500 back to china when you can get another clone for less than than the return postage and wasted weeks waiting for a fix.

I'd say go Clone if its not an expensive purchase and original if it is something like an 8000.
Also the clone makers still havn't fully worked out how to clone sim cards which can be updated which means if you buy a sim 72 machine it will stay a sim 72 machine.
Originals can be updated without any hassle and clones need patched firmware.

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Master Focus 90cm .Gigablue UHD Quad 4K on TM 2600 motor. *Tm 5402 HD M3, *Atemio Nemesis. *Not Used.
My Location
Southern England
Unless its like for like components there can be no comparison. Also its not just the makers who make a profit, the retailers also who work on a percentage mark up. They make more on a £500 box than a £200 box. Yet they are still only selling one item. I read on a forum about the 8000 overheating when fitted with a disc drive, with a genuine item you have some comeback which I doubt when buying a clone. Do a Google for clomes of boxes and there are many reasons to avoid them. On another forum, there are 213 pages of posts relating to DN clones. The problems disclosed will guarantee I only buy the genuine item, simply not worth the hassle to save some money. After all it is a hobby not an endurance test.

zoro25

Attack of the Clones
Reaction score
Website
www.thetestmanager.com
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800 - Nabilosat Image and 250gig Hard-drive (pointing at 28.2E)
Dreambox 7020 with 120 gig hard-drive disk - running a motorised dish
DM600 +DM500
although only usually the 800 and 7020 are both on.
My Location
UK
Virtually all of the posts in that thread relate to two sellers.

If you find a decent seller then you will usually get a decent product. Before I ordered from my seller I emailed about 5-10 mails to loads of sellers asking differing questions and went with the one who gave the best answers and support via the emails before I had ordered.

And there is one UK seller of clones (one of the site sponsors ) who offers the same support as DMM. UK laws mean you get a year warranty on electronic products.
If you get a faulty product he will replace and its only UK postage.

You are right though the components are not the same and the clone makers do cuts, Even the Tuners are usually fakes. So just because it says Alps does not mean it is. (I've had to use an inline amp to pick up DiscoveryHD - DisneyCineHD without glitching)

One last thing to note is that sometimes the clone makers improve on the original design. My DM800 has a heatsink fitted and i've never had any overheating issues. - Alot of original DM800 owners can't say the same.

leoSing

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream box 800
My Location
Israel
Hi!
Does the clone DM have a commercial name? or is it known as a "clone DM800"?
wanna google it a little bit :)

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Southern England
Google Dreambox 8000 or its equivalant, i.e Dreambox 8000 HD, Dreambox, etc. You can tell the clones by the price and shipping info. :-hny

leoSing

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream box 800
My Location
Israel
Ok, i have google it and it got the name iDbox HD HDTV.
it costs around 200 $

:-MrsC

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Southern England
Rather you than me. Its saving you money but if I bought a clone and had problems with setting it up or getting the channels I would always be wondering if its the cloned box thats screwing it all up or me doing something wrong.

leoSing said:
Ok, i have google it and it got the name iDbox HD HDTV.
it costs around 200 $

:-MrsC

dogsballs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
noob
My Location
ireland
zoro25 said:
One last thing to note is that sometimes the clone makers improve on the original design. My DM800 has a heatsink fitted and i've never had any overheating issues. - Alot of original DM800 owners can't say the same.

who was this seller seems like a good thing to know