The right CAM for spanish tv

juan carlos

Reaction score
My Location
sw london
Apologies as I am very new to this so know very little.

I have just had a 90cm motorised system with a technomate 5500 installed in the UK and as a have an address in spain i have a subscription with canal + and so have a viewing card. I have just been told that i need a CAM to be able to use this viewing card with the technomate here in the UK but do not know which CAM to buy and where to get it. I am also interested in the future to maybe view subsription channels from france, germany, italy etc so am wondering is there a CAM i can use now with my spanish card and in the future when i learn more, use the same CAM to view other European subscription channels.

thanks in advance

guiri

Reaction score
My Location
Manchester, UK
You need a cam that supports s e c a cas (conditional access system), like an aston cam, or for more flexibility something like a dragon cam or matrix which can then be used for viewing other channels as well.

The best thing would be to try before you buy to make sure whatever cam you get is compatible with your card - can you not do this with the installer of your system?

juan carlos

Reaction score
My Location
sw london
thanks for your reply guiri.

The installer of my system is proving to not be very helpful to be honest, he suggested that i might need a seca 2 CAM but wouldnt commit and suggested that i contact my supplier in spain, which is not very convenient as i wont be back there for a while.

I was just going to buy a seca 2 CAM but after reading lots of the available info on this site started to get interested in the potential of accessing some of the other packages throughout europe in the future, when hopefully i can get my head around this vast area and learn a bit more.

guiri

Reaction score
My Location
Manchester, UK
It appears to me that the dragon cam is the best supported cam at the moment. It should come with a loader card which is programmed with a phoenix programmer (so you'll need the cam, loader card and programmer).

Maybe you can find a shop in london where you can try the cam out with your original card before you buy - that would be your safest option.

Otherwise, mail order (google will give you sites)

juan carlos

Reaction score
My Location
sw london
cheers guiri i'll look into getting the dragon cam.

I've been trying to give myself a crash course in satellites today mainly using the duwgati web site. I was just looking at programmers, is there one you would recommend? Also the funcard seems to be the best smart card to buy, do you agree?

thanks again

guiri

Reaction score
My Location
Manchester, UK
If you get a dragon cam, you'll need a phoenix mode programmer - there are quite a few different ones (from 15 GBP upwards) depending on what else you want to program.

Funcards are pretty much useless! There are much more powerful cards now (like titanium, m2, knot) all programmed with phoenix mode, but it depends what you want to watch. Not all hacks are released on all cards - they need to make money too! You'll find that the dragon does pretty much everything and if you want conax (where the keys aren't released) then another card might be required (eg. m2).

I personally use a titanium card for d+ and italia

juan carlos

Reaction score
My Location
sw london
ha ha, i'm showing my naivety already!! i'll leave funcards alone then.

thanks for your help guiri, appreciated.