The right cam to buy - help please

whizzwilly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar AD3600 IP, 1m dish, 0.3 lnb, 36v Jaegar H-H mount, Dragon Cam 4, dynamite programmer, Dell Dimension 8400 3Mhz 160Gb
My Location
Rochdale
Dear members

I have just bought an Echostar AD3600IP Viaccess satellite receiver. I intend to buy a motorised dish setup for this shortly and also I will need some CAMS , this is the part I don’t understand!

If anybody could shed some light on the following points I would be grateful as I am new to this sort of thing.

1) I live in North West UK (Manchester) and wondered what size dish would I need. Would a 1m dish be okay to receive the bulk of channels. Why are some round and some oval ? What is the difference?

2) I have seen plenty of CAMS on ebay but I haven’t a clue what each one does or what to buy.? Why are there so many and do the so called All in One CAMS ( ie. MATRIX, MAGIC, DRAGON ) really emulate all the others ? What Multi CAM would you say is the best or recommend ? What is difference between reloaded and revolution versions ? How do i know what version of CAM to buy ie. Conax v3.0 etc...

3) I have a friend who has an ASTON , CONAX and IRDETO (6 in 1) CAM and a blue titanium card. He gets all the channels I want to watch but do I really need to buy all these CAMS separately or would any of the All In One CAMs do the trick. The reason I say this is because he put his titanium card into the ASTON CAM and the channels worked fine but when he put the card into the IRDETO(6 in 1) CAM which he says emulates SECA the same channels came up scrambled. How can this be if it is supposed to be a so called multi CAM

4) I will be buying a blue titanium card but how do I get data on the card and also what data do I need to put on the card. Would the titanium card work in any CAM that I buy or is it CAM dependant ? What does it mean when it says an original card ?

I think that’s it for now but if I can think of anything else I will post again !!

Thanks

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
If you are happy with your friends system as far as channels are concerned, then the same outdoor components should be used on yours.

As for indoor equipment, a CAM is necessary for the Echostar if you wish to view more than just FTA and Viaccess stuff, and a multi CAM more recent than the Irdeto type can be easily found via the sponsors of the site.

The reason for the Irdeto CAM , even in multi mode - not working with the card is the lack of Irdeto emulation programmes for the titanium. It should however function with earlier type cards such as Fun or DS9, though these are not suitable for use on the later encryption types.

whizzwilly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar AD3600 IP, 1m dish, 0.3 lnb, 36v Jaegar H-H mount, Dragon Cam 4, dynamite programmer, Dell Dimension 8400 3Mhz 160Gb
My Location
Rochdale
Thank You for your reply Channel Hopper.

What CAM & Card setup would u recommend for my setup ?

Channel Hopper said:
If you are happy with your friends system as far as channels are concerned, then the same outdoor components should be used on yours.

As for indoor equipment, a CAM is necessary for the Echostar if you wish to view more than just FTA and Viaccess stuff, and a multi CAM more recent than the Irdeto type can be easily found via the sponsors of the site.

The reason for the Irdeto CAM , even in multi mode - not working with the card is the lack of Irdeto emulation programmes for the titanium. It should however function with earlier type cards such as Fun or DS9, though these are not suitable for use on the later encryption types.