The Search for New Life outside the Sun

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Did you know there are now 110 objects that have been confirmed as orbiting stars outside our Solar System, and a possible 240 more sightings which are as yet unconfirmed as orbits.

The exponential rate at which 'planets' are being discovered shows that in all probablility, not that we may not actually be alone in the universe, but that the chances are we have already been visited by 'others'.

http://exoplanets.org/exoplanets_pub.html

medutched

Reaction score
My Location
northumberland
Pesonaly I think that the chance we have been visited nihil.There are 1.7 million species identified on earth but there are probably over 2 million.Of those 2 million only one is capable of space travel(only just)and that took 3.5 billion years to achieve.Now I do believe live is common in space but our intelligence is unique.

bulbous

Reaction score
I cannot imagine why any " intelligent life form " would even consider visiting this planet. This word " intelligent " implies rational thought and also the possibility that any 'thing' within 20 light years would have seen "Neighbours" on their hobby satellite systems. This in itself surely precludes any chance of a visit. from Australia where intelligence hides...

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
bulbous said:
I cannot imagine why any " intelligent life form " would even consider visiting this planet. This word " intelligent " implies rational thought and also the possibility that any 'thing' within 20 light years would have seen "Neighbours" on their hobby satellite systems. This in itself surely precludes any chance of a visit. from Australia where intelligence hides...

I recall the phrase 'a yoghurt has more culture than Australia' from my youth.

Not sure why Neighbours (or any soap for that reason) is repeated on TV, something to do with the goldfish type memory retention of the viewer ?

bulbous

Reaction score
Good one Channel Hopper ! The sad fact is that Australian TV does not depict real life in Australia. The scripts are written by peculiar arty type people who rarely venture from their cosy - usually "big city" - haunts. I live in the country where the real "culture" is in evidence. Even the women partake in the farting competitions. There is a sheila at my local pub - a sheep shearer sheila - who can sink a pint of ale and entertain the house with the most exquisite display of modulated belching known to man. This is the REAL Australia - nothing like the crap good manners and eloquence exported by the various media. I HAVE NEVER WATCHED AN EPISODE OF NEIGHBOURS , but I sneaked a look at young Kylie trying to sing once in a pair of shorts she must have owned for years. They were very tight and HER culture was evident.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Australia is such a large country , the density of the population is however very low, and the majority are dotted around the coastline.

Im sure that the diversity of characters isnt as small as you make out (I hope). It cant all be the stereotypical Les Patterson, Rolf Harris or Rupert Murdoch types.

This brings us back in ways to the topic, in that even close 'neighbours' may or may not know whats on the otherside of a short trip into space. Theres always the chance that another star system may not share the same physics as here, meaning the discovery of life for us humans elsewhere in the universe may have more than the one obstacle of distance.

bulbous

Reaction score
Channel Hopper , my post was entirely tongue-in-cheek of course , it is friday night here in Australia ( actually close to 0100 saturday ) and I was playing. This country - as any other - has people of all types , the stereotypes exist only in the media. Back on topic ! ... If other intelligent life exists it is easy to imagine that it would necessarily have a different understanding of/for its existence. This other intelligence will not have been blinkered and restrained by such human notions as greed , envy , need or religion - to suggest a few. It is possible that intelligence exists elsewhere , distance is surely the barrier preventing confirmation of this. Exploration is a human trait often motivated by these suggested notions , if they were not perceived by other intelligent life then we would be the only intelligence seeking others. Indeed , other intelligent life may be deliberately obscured from Human view

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Indeed , other intelligent life may be deliberately obscured from Human view

They may not really want to be discovered, especially by a species as backward as humans.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Back on Topic

Scientists now believe they have the first visual evidence of a planet outside the solar system

Using multi position / multi-image cancellation techniques, the first detail of an object orbiting a star approximately 50 light years away has been out onto an image. Some work is still ongoing to ensure the astronomers have not inadvertently captured a distant galaxy instead of a gaseous planet orbiting the white dwarf star.

Incidentally more and more data from the Hubble is suggesting that the most likely scenario of any system outside our own, is with two or more stars influencing planet formation. The more common suggestion is that these stars come together by natural movement within a galaxy, and gravitational contact with each other pulls out material in a rotational disc that eventually forms the other objects. The less common view , but one that is gaining popularity, is the existing disc of material around one particular
star is 'shepherded' into lumps of rock and gas by the second star, which become planets in their own right.

The orbits and gravitational effects of binary star formation is childs play when the effects of a triple system are checked, however most astronomers agree that a single star system with planets in stable orbits is now the exception rather than the rule. Life as we have on Earth is going to be rather difficult to find elsewhere in the Universe

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/mystery_monday_040510.html

K

kalamar

Now be honest........has anyone here ever seen a UFO ? if so ,lets hear about it.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I bought the second set off eBay last week

Gerry Anderson knew what he was doing

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
The Hubble astronomers have spent one full week dedicated to looking for these 'planets' and found 110 in the time, virtually doubling the previous number suggested.

Whether these are 'new' new findings is not entirely certain, but it does seem to confirm the exponential rate is a conservative figure of findings.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3856401.stm

Now to see how many are Class M , with furry creatures sporting a classy range of ray gun