Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
No - not a Dr Who thread this time - but looks like reality has finally caught up with all those sci fi stories:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4730061.stm

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
yeah, I saw this too, on BBCi (Freeview).

Well, astronomers have been speculating for years, known orbital perturbations must mean there's something else out there, etc, and now they've finally found it! But, turns out it's a big block (I mean, sphere!) of ice, so wouldn't that make it a captured comet, and not a "real planet" ?

In Dr Who, The Tenth Planet (kindly destroyed by the BBC!) had Bill Hartnell, as Dr Who, first encountering the Cybermen (in those days, played by actors with paper bags on their heads), so let's hope there's no real ones.

(added) Orbit is not in Planetary Plane, just like Pluto, also suggesting it's been "captured".

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Certainly interesting but 10th planet I don't think so (still what do I know).
Mind you there are many who don't think that Pluto is the ninth planet just a captured asteroid, or a moon from another planet now that would be interesting.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Maybe it's an approaching alien spaceship! Is the orbit hyperbolic, does anyone know yet?

(I watched film Indepence Day, on tv last night!).

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Many of these outer system objects go about in pairs, so why stop at ten ?

Theres plenty of evidence that even further out (maybe five times the distance of Neptune), there are a huge number of dirty snowballs, too dark and travelling too slowly for a positive ID.

With the shuttle up and running again (for now) it might be somebody mentions the overdue maintenance stop at Hubble.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Channel Hopper said:
With the shuttle up and running again (for now) it might be somebody mentions the overdue maintenance stop at Hubble.
I thought I had read recently that they've ditched any future missions to service Hubble......However this seems to contradict that click here

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
Yep, there's still the Oort Cloud out there (somewhere).

Fred Hoyle also wrote a novel called Tenth Planet, which I must have read but have forgotten (his early novels were great, and got made into fine tv sci fi, but his later ones were utterly gaga!).

The mythological concept of "tenth planet" comes from Pythagorean astronomy. 2500 year ago, 8 astronomical bodies were known, mercury, venus, earth, moon, sun, mars, jupiter, saturn. But, Pythagoras though there had to be 10, since that's a "perfect number". So he added the "central fire" (which produced light, which the sun only reflected!). And, the 10th planet, a "counter earth", always on the opposite side of the central fire to us, and therefore always completely invisible (how convenient!).

Pythaogreanism was a religion, there were all sorts of crazy rules, and joining was like becomming a monk or nun. But, as we all know, Pythagoras invented triangles, and where would we be today without those?

For more info on Pythagoreanism, see http://users.ucom.net/~vegan/pythagorean.htm .

(For anyone seriously interested, there's some excellent factual articles on this website, as well as the crazy "new age" stuff!).

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
spiney said:
But, Pythagoras thought there had to be 10, since that's a "perfect number". So he added the "central fire" (which produced light, which the sun only reflected!). And, the 10th planet, a "counter earth", always on the opposite side of the central fire to us, and therefore always completely invisible (how convenient!).

Another premise for Gerry Anderson and one of his few real actor releases, Doppelganger.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064519/

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
That reminds me of the space mission to travel to the sun.

'Surely the heat will destroy your craft and yourself' a journalist noted.

Ahh! we've thought of that - 'we're going at night!'

I'll get my coat...

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
Sorry, I made a mistake above, Fred Hoyle's novel was "Fifth Planet".

(So, only halfway there!).

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
It would be interesting to know how they found it, the linked BBC article above just mentions "modern techniques", presumably computer software.

Older searches were done by "blinking", ie, a special viewer oscillating between photographic plates in front of an observer's eyes, for many hours. If you read Clive Tombaugh's account of how he discovered Pluto, he was doing that all the time for many months, and it's amazing he still had any eyesight left afterwards!

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
Whoops, I've made a typo above!

Pluto was discovered by CLYDE (Tombaugh).

Sorry.