Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
I was looking at the old doomed Astra 1K footprint map that was designed for frequency reuse between the east side and west side of Europe and thought the Astra 1N "UK" spot has an uncanny resemblance to the western footprint of Astra 1K when shifted over Spain.

With the other spot beam capabilities of 1KR, for example the Polish spot we saw a few years ago, I wonder if once 1N arrives at 19.2°E we'll start to see some Spanish services restricted to the south west and others restricted to eastern Europe.

Perhaps less unlikely, but not impossible, is that Astra 2E with its Middle East beam could also be used for a nice temporary wide Eastern Europe beam if needed after its launch next year. (Although I see that the SES website no longer says 2E will be relocated so perhaps it is not going to move from 28.2°E)

I think services for France, Germany, Belgium, Holland and Italy will be safe from any frequency reuse due those countries being right in the middle of the two beams with potential for interference if they are to share frequencies within Europe.

I've attached an image to help show the patterns.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Sadly for us enthusiasts frequency reuse in some way across an increasing number of orbital slots is the way forward - and Ive been predicting this sort of development for years.

Satellite capacity is a finite resource and with an ever increasing demand for satellite capacity doubling up on transmission capacity from each slot makes sense for the operators - even if its bad news for us as it locks out any chance of watching some of the more interesting channels on the "other beam".

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Just been having a poke around on the Eutelsat site - look at the future here:

-http://www.eutelsat.com/news/media_library/brochures/EUTELSAT-9B.pdf

Eutel 9B - four spot beams - Nordic / Germany / Italy / Greece - plus a pan European beam!

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Yes, a very interesting theory. I really wonder what the situation would have been like now if the 1K didn't go floaties. That was a scary beam shape on 1K... wonder how they achieved that in Ku-band.

The 1N UK spot being moved over Spain is very plausible - those in the South West England should still be able to receive it though.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Analoguesat said:

Eutel 9B - four spot beams - Nordic / Germany / Italy / Greece - plus a pan European beam!

Oh my........... This spells the start of the end of foreign TV. IPTV is the way forward it seems.

They made a boo-boo in specs - "Orbital position: 70.5 East"

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Captain Jack said:
They made a boo-boo in specs - "Orbital position: 70.5 East"

Probably a cut n paste from the specs for 70B :D

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Analoguesat said:

I think there was a thread on here about that satellite. I was excited about the Nordic beam as we seem to be often forgotten about. I guess it makes a nice addition to the close neighbours at 5E for adding an extra LNB to existing setups.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Captain Jack said:
Oh my........... This spells the start of the end of foreign TV. IPTV is the way forward it seems.

I think the worst thing about frequency reuse is for those of us in the middle between two beams who get nothing so actually the number of channels is reduced but it's good for extra local capacity in certain areas which is what the majority are concerned about.