Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
The Eutelsat 9B brochure at _http://www.eutelsat.com/news/media_library/brochures/EUTELSAT-9B.pdf has the new spot beams so I've merged them together to see what it looks like for reception around Europe...

At a guess the Nordic/Baltic beam (green) and the Italian beam (blue) would share frequencies and the German beam (purple) and Greek beam (red) would share frequencies.

If this is the case in the UK it looks like the German beam (purple) could be receivable on a big dish and Scotland might get the Nordic/Baltic beam (green) but I think most of England will suffer interference from the Italian (blue) and Nordic/Baltic beams (green) combining with the Greek beam (red) out of the question due to the strong German beam (purple).

eut-9b-spots.jpg

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
What are they going to use 9E for? Almost looks like a Hot Bird replacement...

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
9B will just increase capacity at 9E :)

Shame about the multiple spots but seeing as all of the Greek output on 9E is encrypted in Cisco/NDS it wont be much of a loss :D

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
I was looking at the Eutelsat website about future launches and noticed they've updated Eutelsat 9B's footprints and they are now quite different to the originally published ones, plus there's an extra German B footprint.

These new footprints don't look as bad as the original ones but it seems frequency reuse might not be as widespread since almost all the footprints overlap each other except the Italy and Nordic ones. The "Greek" beam now weaves it's way up to the UK! Quite strange. Perhaps Eutelsat have had a re-think about who would be able to afford the original Greek spot...

The original German spot has been widened to include countries to the east with more power than most of Germany.

The only original one seems to be the Italy spot. Even the Nordic beam has been changed to be more favourable to southern Finland.

It all looks a bit messy and not really sure what benefit this gives to broadcasters? The good news is the "Greek" beam covers the whole of the UK now and the new German wide beam covers the eastern side of the UK.

Attachments

• E9B_Predicted_Ku-band_Germany_A_Downlink_Coverage.jpg
    E9B_Predicted_Ku-band_Germany_A_Downlink_Coverage.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 45
  • E9B_Predicted_Ku-band_Germany_Ge_Downlink_Coverage.jpg
    E9B_Predicted_Ku-band_Germany_Ge_Downlink_Coverage.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 45
  • E9B_Predicted_Ku-band_Greece_Downlink_Coverage.jpg
    E9B_Predicted_Ku-band_Greece_Downlink_Coverage.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 50
  • E9B_Predicted_Ku-band_Italy_Downlink_Coverage.jpg
    E9B_Predicted_Ku-band_Italy_Downlink_Coverage.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 43
  • E9B_Predicted_Ku-band_Nordic_Baltic_Downlink_Coverage.jpg
    E9B_Predicted_Ku-band_Nordic_Baltic_Downlink_Coverage.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 43
  • E9B_Predicted_Ku-band_Widebeam_Downlink_Coverage.jpg
    E9B_Predicted_Ku-band_Widebeam_Downlink_Coverage.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 41

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Looking forward to hunting for this bird.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors

william-1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
OP Gibertini 100 XP+ Inverto Black Ultra Lnb
Superior Dark Motor (160° max)
(50 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+Optima (A/B switch) Edision primo IP S2

Raven 88cm Mesh Dish + IBU Twin output
Stab100 H to H (120° max)
(53 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+ Ultra HD (A/B switch) Golden Interstar Alpha_X
My Location
Epping Forest Essex
We will get most of them here in the East of England except the Italian footprint,
The Nordic footprint is a bit tighter than SES-4 @ 5 east below:-
So also possible with a 100cm dish.

Attachments

• ses-5_nordic_ku_band_beam_L.jpg
    ses-5_nordic_ku_band_beam_L.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 7

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
We will get most of them here in the East of England except the Italian footprint,
The Nordic footprint is a bit tighter than SES-4 @ 5 east below:-
So also possible with a 100cm dish.

Yeah, and remember these maps only show the 49dBW limit, so who knows how much further they actually go, although I assume the drop off will be fairly steep.

It is interesting that they still talk about frequency reuse on the Eutelsat 9B page:

"Capacity will be spread across five footprints, with frequency reuse significantly increasing overall bandwidth."
http://www.eutelsat.com/en/satellites/future-satellites/launch-schedule/EUTELSAT-9B.html

The Nordic and Italy beams looks like the best bet for frequency reuse.

eut-9b-spots-nordic-italy.jpg

Could they also plan to broadcast on the same frequency of overlapping beams? So while the Greek beam may extent up to the UK, with frequency reuse it may be limited if they decide to also use the Nordic beam at the same time, for example? (I've combined the two beams with the blue showing the overlap) This would make the Nordic beam useless for Denmark, southern Sweden and Norway and much of Eastern Europe and beyond as I assume the interference would be more widespread than just the blue area.

eut-9b-spots-nordic-greece.jpg

I can't see any other combinations that wouldn't cause even more major interference in at last one of the intended reception areas.

I suppose they could use the Greek beam to transmit to the east side and broadcast noise* on the new German wide beam to block out reception to most of the west, but Ireland would still have decent reception.

*(or channels for Estonia as that's more or less the only country covered by German beam without interference)

eut-9b-spots-greece-germany-ge.jpg