There's no signal!!!!!

DHeart

Speed Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 5620, Dreambox 500Si, with universal 3 LNB's and 2X 80cm dish.
My Location
Portugal
Hi everyone.
I'm having a problem that i can't solve.
I've mounted a 80 cm dish, with a Golden Interstar LNB, model GI-201, and connected to a Dreambox 5620.
My problem is that i suspect that i have no signal, because the Signal Noise Ratio and the Automatic Gain Control is indicating 0%. But if i start a transponder search my SNR indicates, always, 45% and my AGC jumps to 23% and starts to drop down until it reaches 0%. When the search is over, the receiver says that it can't find any frequency. To verify the installation or to search manually.
When i use the satfind function, the indication doesn't changes, no matter if i spin the dish 180º on the opposite direction. It is always 45% SNR.
My purpose is to receive H*spasat signal.
The LNB output is to control a motor, right?
What is that i'm doing wrong?
HHHHHHHHEEEEEEEELLLLLLLPPPPPPPP!!!
I'm about to blow!!!!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
How do you know that you are on a satellite? With Hispasat, you need to make sure that the DB is showing a frequency that you can see from where you are, then you need to move the dish verrrrry slowly to find the sat. A sat meter in this situation would be a godsend. :)

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
I Think your dish is not mounted properley, You need a stronger signal than what your getting to pull in stations. Have you got a satellite meter to find Hispasat @30w.

DHeart

Speed Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Portugal
Sat meter? And how do i know that i'm on the right one, on the hispasat?
And the LNB? So long it's universal, doesn't matter?

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
DHeart said:
Sat meter? And how do i know that i'm on the right one, on the hispasat?
And the LNB? So long it's universal, doesn't matter?

Sat Meter to check if there is a signal where your dish is pointed, and to improve it by Slightly by moving the dish.

One Question i want to ask you is do you know how to use the Dreambox??

DHeart

Speed Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Portugal
i suppose so.
Before i tune in a satellite, i have to upload a softcam to the DB? And if so, what softcam do i use to n*gr*vision?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You don't need a softcam to find a satellite, but you do need a valid transponder, for 1W I use the one with BBC World on it.

Mexicos

Reaction score
Website
www.FasterFords.com
My Satellite Setup
DM7020 - Satandream Special Edition V6
NFS mounted / 2Gb Memory stick
My Location
UK
I've just finished installing my Dreambox 500 with a 80cm dish and I was having the same problem, the sat finder option is pretty useless to find a satellite with. Get yourself and proper compess and beeper. I got hotbird within 2 minutes with this and it now sits on 85% on the DM sat finder.

DHeart

Speed Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Portugal
Hi to all.
I'm happy to announce that i've solved my problem. It was due to two consecutives and basic mistakes. I was upset with myself with such basic errors.
First mistake, due to lack of attention during the reading of T_G's Idiot Guide, i've pressed a button during the first attempt to upload an image. It completely messed up the receiver. From this mistake forward it was a waste of time and burned brain cells.
Second mistake was the lack of attention on the observation of the rs-232 cable. It wasn't a crossover cable!!!! I wonder why the software wasn't able to detect the Dreambox, when i switch it on. If a friend didn't call my attention to this detail, probably i would be burning brain cells, and wouldn't remember such a basic feature of the cable.
After this two mistakes, i've flashed it with the Terminator image, version 9, and it's working 100%. I estabelished a network with my computer very easilly, it doesn't block anymore, the new features are great and the new Satfind function it's far more advanced and sensitive, than the original one. I've picked Hispasat in no time.
The next step is to learn the new menu, work with the softcam and upload the new keys.
I'm greatfull to all for the help, especially to T_G and Rowlf.
At your disposal,

DHeart
Lisbon, Portugal

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Congratulations DHeart, it can be very frustrating trying to get the box and dish set up properly, but once achieved it is pretty rewarding and worth the effort. :)