Think I have bust it!

dm500-leeroy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500-s
My Location
UK
After putting on the TigerDM500 image the box restarted - but black screen - remote didnt work - nothing, so ok dodgy image just re-flash I thought.
Firstly the cannot connect using default IP - (10.0.0.97) so plugged in the serial cable and run DreamUp-DM500 all I get is "Got StartSequence - starting upload" then nothing. this is with the power OUT - if i put the power in it hangs the PC!!

The f-in thing just does not seem to want to do anything!

Is there a hard reset? short of it going out of the window!!!!!

Any ideas - anyone???

FooFighter

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 x DM 7025 SS ~ 3x DM 500S ~ Triax 88cm Dish ~ (Motorised) ~ Gemini 410 ~ CCCam 2.11
My Location
UK
Have you used Dreamup and the cable before ?

You need to make sure that it is a NULL modem cable not just a serial cable, they look the same but are wired differently and you wont get anywhere without the right cable. I know cos I got it wrong as well :mad:

Grab one on ebay for a few quid but make sure it is NULL modem.

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
Dont think a serial will fit anyway unless its a female to female. You deffo need a null modem as the previous poster says.

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
Sorry don´t have no 500 but in my box (7020) there is a button on the front that will display the IP addy if U press it while U do a hard reset

Perhaps U have something like that on the 500 ?

and if U have 2 buttons then one is for cleraing the flash at reboot

So hope U find a button or 2 :)

dm500-leeroy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500-s
My Location
UK
It is a null modem cable - but I have not used it before with dreamup - always used FlashWizard & network connection.

Looking at other db forums it seems the symptoms I am having are pretty common and ends up with a battle with Dream multimedia to send it back!

Im not too hopefull of a fix - seems its ruined!

Dont suppose anyone knows if there are any dip switches to play with inside?
(if its already broke I cant make it any worse!!)

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
So you cannot do a Flash Erase with DreamUP using a null modem cable?

You are using the correct version of DreamUP (not the LAN version) and are erasing (as explained in The Guide)?

dm500-leeroy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500-s
My Location
UK
yes that is correct I cannot erase - I have tried every version of dreamup i can find, cant telnet to it either (tried the standard IP's, connected it to a router and checked the attached devices) - nothing, its just dead!

There must be a way areound this - it cannot just be ready to throw away???

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
Firstly the cannot connect using default IP - (10.0.0.97)

Thought they usually start with 192.168.0.????

But that doesent really matter with dreamup. Can you tell us how you are trying to reflash your box. It might be something your doing wrong. Im sure you havent knackered it yet.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
And a null modem is not the same as a serial cable (wired up differently).

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
This is a null modem wiring diagram.

L.:)

D4ftpunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020
Dreambox DM500
Sky Thomsom Digibox
StrongSat FTA Reciever
80cm Dish + 45cm Dish via Disecq A/B.
My Location
England
You should be able to get a dreambox bad flash working with a nullmodem cable + dreamup in all circumstances. However, in the event of failure, i suppose you could try manually erasing the FLASH rom.

Most FLASH rom chips have a way to do this by shorting several pins at once, as i have done it in my router about 10 times already :p. Take a pic of the flash rom inside your dm500 and i will try and formulate some instructions (if its even possible)

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
You mean JTAG?

Given the vagueness of your description I wouldn't do what you suggest and don't recommend anyone else does either.

dm500-leeroy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500-s
My Location
UK
well I have been in contact with Dreambox in germany - they did reply to a mail I sent (didnt really expect them to after reading this forum!!) anyway it wasnt much help - "Your Dreambox is damaged return it to your dealer"

I have ordered another cable - I cannot be 100% sure that my existing cable works so for a couple of quid its worth having a brand new one! will try it again and report back.

Thank for all your posts.

What is JTAG?

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
What is JTAG?

Dont go there!!!!!!!!! Unless your experienced with an Iron.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Any news on the subject? Just for your information, there are several fleabay shops who sell you boot repairs for a few Euros, anything between 10 and 20 Euros will do it. Basically, you send them the box and they sort out your boot loader. For instance this one is a good example.

dm500-leeroy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500-s
My Location
UK
Thanks for the post about ebay, but I have sent it back to the seller (yep ebay again!) probably said goodbye to my money and the box but we will see!! hopefully he will swap it over - within 28 days and all that.

It would be nice to know what they do to it to recover for 13 Euros.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
I think basically they attach some wires to the processor and reload the bootloader program. Theretically you could do it on your own, there is enough about it in the forums but it is a bit risky and fiddly, I would gladly spend the 13 Euros for someone to do this perticular job.

dm500-leeroy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500-s
My Location
UK
Well after a bit of a wait the man on fleaBay has come through - not fixed but a spanking new one - cracking!!

now the problem I have is with the channel list, if i do a scan (Gemini latest image) I only see about 50 channels, and even with newcamd loaded most of them are "service unavalable".

Now as I understand it the whole idea of these boxes is to allow access to everything, otherwise why whould we all go through the hastle of setting it up??? Am I mistaken?

I am most interested in Eur0sp0rt - am I wasting my time?

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
"service unavailable" means you don't get a signal or that channel has gone.

You're 100% sure of the satellite you've scanned e.g. it was pointing at 28.2 when did scanned 28.2, and not pointing at 19.2?

You can also upload a channel list e.g. PET123 and see if that helps.

dm500-leeroy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500-s
My Location
UK
spot on, it wasnt looking at the right satellite, doh!

got a huge channel list now! Now a lot of the channels say they cannot be descrambled, some freeview channels (?)

I followed the guide to the letter but when it came to the k*ys part there was no option (under blue button) so I assume I am running camd3 minus the k*ys??? (latest Gemini image)

This all seems like too much hard work, the cable starview boxes just plug in, update then everything is available, why is it so difficult with a dish???