Thinking about a new box...

bowdie

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm currently running a Comag FTA2CI, a Raven mutli dish with LNBs on 13, 19.2, and 28.

Trouble is, that I'm running our of channel memory, and I can't see anyway to make the comag only store TV channels (as I'm not really interested in the radio side for now.) Plus, as there is no computer in the living room, updating transponder lists is only even done via the remote. So, as you can imagine, I'm a bit sick of doing that, and my transponder list looks like a handgrenade's gone off in it.

I'd like box that kept itself upto date, and didn't run out of memory so quickly - so I've been looking at a little dreambox. Trouble is that I can't be doing with all the linux admin that's involved. I spend enough time around linux at work! Am I right in thinking that one of the basic dreamboxes might be a good place? I quite like the idea of being able to pipe it's output over my home network too!

Can anyone suggest anything else I could look at?

Thanx in advance!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Forget the linux playing, they are a doddle to manage, once set up they are no more difficult than other receivers (in fact probably easier), I can see no reason for you not to get one, but loads of reason for. :)

I have no experience with Linux, but find the occasional use of FTP no sweat and the web interfcae a real boon, the blue button key update isn't bad either. :)

bowdie

Reaction score
Interesting... Thanks for that Rolf. I'm looking at DM500s' on ebay for around the 160quid mark. Seems not too bad. Am I right in assuming that I can just ftp new firmwares onto the dreambox over the network?

While I don't currently have any emu firmware on my comag, that's mostly because I can't be bothered with keeping the hexes (or summat) up to date because that means trucking the box upstairs to the PC. So some way of remotely updating stuff like that would be brill.

Ah, for the happy days of my old 486 sitting on top of my analouge Astra box, poised to see if the hexes had changed for the Adult channel! :p

I mostly watch FTA these days, and I enjoy all the WTF? moments hotbird brings me, but I hate to feel that I'm missing out on some good stuff just because my comag is getting a big long in the tooth!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Bowdie, you will love it, you are better placed then I was when I started, but to be quite honest, I would not go for anything other than a Linux based receiver now. :) Have a look in the DB section, there are very few disgruntled users, you may also be able to get a better deal from one of our advertisers. :)