Thinking about setting up a reviews site

AlBrow

Reaction score
Hi

After having a lot of problems trying to track down details of old anlogue receivers, I've come to the conclusion that a reviews site is needed. I'm thinking about setting one up, listing as many of these old receivers as possible, and was wondering what other people thought of the idea. If anyone is able to review their receiver(s), or at least post the specs of them, I'd be really grateful too!

Your thoughts, please!

Alex

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
How far back do you want to go?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Sounds like you have a lot of spare time on your hands

I can provide pictures and criticisms going back to 1985/6 when I first started playing with domestic satellite. Receivers then were all pretty much front panel dials with maybe one needle meter.

I also have the first three satellite repair books from Yaxley ( with one or two digital boxes as well). They really are almost worthless though, - you can have them if you can collect from Basingstoke - and I feel that a dip into equipment thats obselete in 90% of the world is more trouble than its worth, a bit like 405 line TV, but then who am I to argue.

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 4000PVR with Aston 1.07 CAM, (canaldigitaal), dragoncam,
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
Visiosat trisat looking at Astra1, Astra2 and Hotbird.
My Location
Netherlands & Central Brittany
A good review site on recent equipment would be useful, especially if visitors can also add there own comments on a particular receiver (like the dvdrhelp site does with cd- dvd players and burners).

AlBrow

Reaction score
Channel Hopper said:
Sounds like you have a lot of spare time on your hands
Not particularly. But hey, I'm up for the challenge. :)

Channel Hopper said:
I can provide pictures and criticisms going back to 1985/6 when I first started playing with domestic satellite. Receivers then were all pretty much front panel dials with maybe one needle meter.
Thanks!

Channel Hopper said:
I also have the first three satellite repair books from Yaxley ( with one or two digital boxes as well). They really are almost worthless though, - you can have them if you can collect from Basingstoke - and I feel that a dip into equipment thats obselete in 90% of the world is more trouble than its worth, a bit like 405 line TV, but then who am I to argue.
Basingstoke's a little out of my way (I'm in Norwich) but thanks anyway. I can see what you mean about the comparison with 405-line TVs, though - obviously, the further back you go, the less useful the receivers are, so therefore what use is a "re-review" going to be besides satisfying a bout of nostalgia?

So, how about this: the focus will be on "digital tuner" receivers (because they can, for the most part, still be used in a practical environment), but details on all receivers are welcome.

AlBrow

Reaction score
cjgall said:
A good review site on recent equipment would be useful, especially if visitors can also add there own comments on a particular receiver (like the dvdrhelp site does with cd- dvd players and burners).
Good idea. Not sure how easy that would be to implement (without "borrowing" other people's code) but I'll definitely look into it.

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
My Location
AlBrow said:
Good idea. Not sure how easy that would be to implement (without "borrowing" other people's code) but I'll definitely look into it.
Thats what programming and site building is all about. You might want to take a look at PHP and in particular the CMS called Postnuke (www.postnuke.com).

AlBrow

Reaction score
cjgall said:
Thats what programming and site building is all about. You might want to take a look at PHP and in particular the CMS called Postnuke (www.postnuke.com).
I'm actually a PHP/MySQL programmer by trade (for my sins). ;)

Mind you, I haven't heard of Postnuke before. I was considering writing my own CMS (Content Management System, for those who don't know), but having taken a quick look at the Postnuke site it looks like it's got pretty much everything already. So thank you for saving me a shedload of work! :)

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
My Location
AlBrow said:
I'm actually a PHP/MySQL programmer by trade (for my sins). ;)

Mind you, I haven't heard of Postnuke before. I was considering writing my own CMS (Content Management System, for those who don't know), but having taken a quick look at the Postnuke site it looks like it's got pretty much everything already. So thank you for saving me a shedload of work! :)
Being a PHP programmer wil come in handy, I removed a bug from the postnuke review module some time back that prevented the pagination from working correctly.