Thinking of upgrading from 100cm to 125cm/150cm Gibertini ...

wallycharlo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 / 1m Gibertini XP
My Location
Western Austria
So I'm on the fringe of the Astra 2F UK spot beam, I can receive all channels during the day, whereas there can be problems in the evening sometimes, though other times I just about hold onto them, it's about 50-50. My receiver is a DM800, and I've noted that an SNR reading of ca 45% of more will let me watch without pixelation. On a good evening it will dip to about 43-44% at worst, and hence just about keep a watchable picture (might give the v odd jitter). On a bad evening it will drop below 40, say 35-39%, which is usually too pixelated to watch, while on a very bad evening (reasonably heavy rain) I'll lose everything.

Hence I am toying with upgrading, and am thinking about going for either the 125 or 150cm instead. I'm planning to stick it right onto the same stand where I currently have the 100cm (which is secured by several concrete slabs) and then put down a good few more concrete slabs in order to prevent it flying around the balcony.

The question I am asking myself is whether to go for the 125cm or the 150cm, with the 125cm clearly being preferable from a price / logistics / eyesore perspective.

I know that reception will be proportional to dish area, so hence I've calculated that the 125cm would give me 56% more area, while the 150cm would give me 125% more. This would clearly argue in favour of the 150cm.

Any ideas / advice / past experiences from any one? Should the 125cm suffice, or should I go the whole hog and get the 150cm?

cheers ... Wally

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
Where is warranty that, after installing 125cm, you would not think about installing bigger dish? :-lol That is from experience.
I think if you have possibility to install 150cm than do it. 180cm would be even better.

S

Steve Steve

On a 1 metre dish you are doing very well...with your 2F Reception... .. Lucky you.......!! ....as you just want to get over the evening signal difficulties ....a 125 should be enough .......but remember a Gibby 150 is really really big compared to a 1 metre dish ......and the mounting hole at the back is much bigger .....so you will also need a new stronger stand........it's really heavy too.....

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
and the mounting hole at the back is much bigger .....so you will also need a new stronger stand........it's really heavy too.....
Yes, but we do not know what kind of mounting pole wallycharlo has. did we see any pictures? :rolleyes: Everithing is relative, after using 180cm, 150cm seems small, not speaking about 1 meter :-rofl2

S

Steve Steve

Why would "Wally" have a really heavy duty stand desighned for a 150 cm dish..?? ...With a 100cm dish bolted to it...??........ok......we don't have enough info........but as he has almost 24/7 reception....surely a. 125cm would be a good enough improvement ......??

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Personally I wouldn't do anything until after 2E is up and running and the dust has settled.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
Personally I wouldn't do anything until after 2E is up and running and the dust has settled.
It is certain that things will never be the same again. They will not be better for sure. And if somebody is ready to go for bigger mirror, he will not lose anything.
Therefore
125cm would be a good enough improvement
125cm could be good improvement but not enough, and 180cm would be better than 125 and 150cm :rolleyes:

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
I too considered replacing my Gibby 125 with a 150 ..but found the price a bit offputting ..
Question ..?
Would my H180 motor have any issues with weight/windloading etc ..if I ever found a used one at the right price ?

S

Steve Steve

I'm Sorry.....but advising a 180 cm dish on the basis it would be " just be better" to someone a who already has nearly 24/7 2F reception on a 1 metre dish is ridiculous ....apart from the cost....who wants a 180 cm dish on their balcony ....that's even if It would fit......

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
It is certain that things will never be the same again. They will not be better for sure. And if somebody is ready to go for bigger mirror, he will not lose anything.

True things are most likely getting worse, but they could lose money by buying a dish too big when it wasn't needed or lose money from buying a dish too small and having to buy yet another even bigger dish a few months later. Why take that risk now when things are changing within a few months?

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
I do not know how is possible to lose money by buying bigger dish. Bigger is always better :D. Make antenna motorized and even if 28,2*E lost completely , you still have much better reception from other satellites.
Secondly, it is not so necessary to buy new stuff, secondhand is option good enough. So, investing in new BUD is always win-win situation, IMHO.
I do not think wallycharlo has antenna installed on the balcony.

wallycharlo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 / 1m Gibertini XP
My Location
Western Austria
So, here is a picture of my current dish and stand. I am curious now as to whether the stand would still support the 125/150 ? The full setup will have to move to the right of course to compensate for the larger diameter.

I had assumed up to now that the required pole diameter would be the same for the bigger dish? It will be heavier of course, and will catch the wind more, so I was planning to compensate by sticking more concrete slabs at the base.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 120

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
Yeah, seems that for bigger dish you will need to make better stand. Why do not you use floor and also fix stand to railings?

S

Steve Steve

A Gibby 150 would wobble about like crazy on your original stand..."Wally"......that's even if your mounting pole is long enough for a 150 ?......it should be ok for a 125 tho.....looking at yout pic .....Maybe moving your dish away from the railings a metre or so..... might help you with reception.....

Last edited by a moderator: