This don't make sense

K

koonto

Hello, this is a strange question but maybe somebody somewhere has an answer.

1. Aligned my dish with satellite meter.
2. Plug in Pace 2500 digibox to lnb and mains.
3. System says "no signal"
4. Turn off 22khz tone - get some channels and quality
5. Turn on 22khz tone - loose some channels but gain some that wern't there when 22 khz was off AND loose all quality ( NOT LOCKED )
6. Turn off digibox - Put satellete meter between digibox and lnb.
7. Turn on digibox - All channels good and good quality 1/4 signal strength ( which is what is expected ).

8. If I leave power on the digibox and take the meter out, the channels last about 20minutes then go. ( Channel 4 + E4 especially )

Question is, why do I loose channels when the meter IS NOT put inline.

I'm happy to leave the meter where it is but if it ever brakes with constant usage then it's back to turning 22khz tone on and off to get different channels and C4, E4, CNBC will never be there.

Please help

Thanks in advance

koonto

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You don't mention what type of dish and LNB you are using, but there are known issues with certain Digiboxes and LNBs. It would be interesting if you could try your digibox on another, known to be working dish and another digibox on your dish.

The switching on and off of the 22Khz tone switch could well be a red herring and possibly why the installers menu is not obviously available to the general public, you must also check that the Low and High band LOs are set to 9.75 and10.6 respectively.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
It does sound like the L.O may be out on the LNB, however I do know of problems with the 14/18 volt switching on the Pace units unable to give correct switching between polarities on some systems, due to generated higher voltage

The signal meter in line may cause a loss of up to 1V of this excess, leading to the correct parameters

Try another receiver first before climbing out onto the roof

K

koonto

Cheers for the replies, the lnb is made by grundig and it's mounted on a standard sky dish. The problem is that I'm in a ntl area so all my neighbours don't have Sky, so I can't check my box out on another system. NTL Sucks.
I've checked all the settings are at default. LO and HIGH band oscillators. If it's not gonna kill my system then I'll keep the meter in the circuit.

One day i'd like to steer away from sky and get a digital motorized system.

Thanks again

koonto