This is Nice

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
When I was a Lad.

I know this is old, but sometimes we need reminding....

For the 40-somethings amongst us.
This is lovely!.............. Close your eyes and Go back in time...

Before the Internet or the Apple Mac. Before semi-automatics ,joyriders and crack...
Before SEGA or SuperNintendo...

Way back........I'm talking about Hide and Seek in the park.
The corner shop.
Hopscotch. Butterscotch. Skipping. Handstands.
Football with an old can in the street, or at the park with jumpers as goalposts, and everyone was the ref.
Fingerbobs. Beano, Twinkle. Roly Poly. Hula Hoops, jumping the stream,building dams.
The smell of the sun and fresh cut grass. Bazooka Joe or Bubbly bubble gum, Parma Violets, candy cigarettes.
An ice cream cone on a warm summer night from the van that plays a tune:chocolate or vanilla or strawberry or maybe Neapolitan or perhaps a screwball
...Wait...
Watching Saturday morning cartoons... Short commercials, The Double
Deckers, Road Runner, He-Man, Tiswas or Swapshop, and Why Don't You -
or staying Up for Star Trek.
When around the corner seemed far away and going into town seemed like going somewhere.
Earwigs, wasps and bee stings. Sticky fingers. Cops and Robbers, Cowboys and Indians, and Zorro.Climbing trees.Building igloos out of snow banks.
Walking to school, no matter what the weather.Running till you were out of breath, laughing so hard that your stomach hurt.
Jumping on the bed. Pillow fights. Spinning around,getting dizzy and falling down was cause for giggles.
Being tired from playing....remember that?
The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team.
Water balloons were the ultimate weapon.
Football cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a Choppers and Grifters. Trying to ride your bike home when you had a puncture.
Building a pile of leaves in Autumn then zooming through it on your bike with your feet out, spraying leaves everywhere, then doing it again.
I'm not finished just yet.....
Eating raw jelly. Angel Delight. Orange squash ice pops.
Remember when...
There were two types of trainers - girls and boys, and Dunlop Green Flash and the only time you wore them at school was for P.E.
You knew everyone in your street - and so did your parents.
It wasn't odd to have two or three "best" friends. You didn't sleep a Wink on Christmas eve.
When nobody owned a pure-bred dog.
When 25p was decent pocket money.
When you'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny.
When nearly everyone's mum was at home when the kids got there.
It was magic when dad would "remove" his thumb.
When it was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at a real restaurant with your parents.
When any parent could discipline any kid, or feed him or use him to carry groceries and nobody, not even the kid, thought a thing of it.
When being sent to the head's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited a misbehaving student at home.
Basically, we were in fear for our lives but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs etc.
Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat! - And some of us are still afraid of them!!
Remember when....
Decisions were made by going "Ip Dip Dog Ship" (yeah Iknow).
"Race issue" meant arguing about who ran the fastest.
Money issues were handled by whoever was the banker in "Monopoly".
The worst thing you could catch from the opposite s_x was germs.
And the worst thing in your day was having to sit next to one.
It was unbelievable that British Bulldog wasn't an Olympic event.
Having a weapon in school, meant being caught with a catapult.
Nobody was prettier than Mum. Scrapes and bruises were kissed and made better.
Taking drugs meant orange-flavoured chewable aspirin.
Ice cream was considered a basic food group.
Getting a foot of snow was a dream come true.
Older siblings were the worst tormentors, but also the fiercest protectors.

If you can remember most or all of these, then you have LIVED.
Pass this on to anyone who may need a break from their "grown up" life...

I DOUBLE-DARE YOU...

prof

Reaction score
My Location
In the spare room.
Nice post Lancelot,
I remember all of it, but I think you were a bit flash with your dunlop trainers for P.E. when I had to make do with black pumps.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Lace up or Slip on ?? You could loose vital seconds getting out of the
gate on a friday afternoon if your mum bought the wrong ones :D

prof

Reaction score
My Location
In the spare room.
Slip ons of course, I had to get a teacher to tie my laces lol.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
White plimsoles from Woolies for me, Lancelot. Didn't stay white for long though. And horrible leather football boots with wooden studs that took an age to lace up.
Innocent days indeed. No transport to school, a two mile walk, dark or light. Playing out till dark, too.
Happy days!

Llew

kalamar

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
49 Fords 20 cent cancer sticks and tying tin cans to the dog ,pooping in a sack light it and put on someones front doorsteps ect ohh yeah those were the days.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
I remember sharing bottles of ginger or pop with my mates without anyone worrying about catching something and dying!

Playing football and tennis in the road - try that today!

loftyj

Reaction score
You had it nice and easy, plimsoles for PT, We had to do it in the school hall in bare foot. and as for sweets we were lucky to be given some by the Yanks that came to the village dance after my elder sister and her mates, or even the Italian POW in the camp just down the road. As for 25p pocket money Dad was a manager, not a millionaire divide by 25 then half it would be nearer the mark.

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
Yep good ole days them Lance......I also rember collecting bottles to get threpence back on each one!.......Probably why I love sailing so much to escape the life as we know it now! Good post mate :-righton

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Can remember most if not all

HOWEVER

Saturday morning were spent down at the ABC cinema watching the Minor's Matinee.
I used to drink Cremona Foam, which was made in a glass with water and some granules from a small (very small!) tin.
I got a Johnny 7 OMA (One Man Army) gun for Christmas one year. I'm sure the PC crowd would throw-up at the thought of one of those.

PaulR

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Oh yes, the old bouncing ball on the screen for the singalong, frozen Jubblies, four fruit salad chews for a penny. Trudging down the old Roman road in little wellies which periodically got stuck in the mud, jumping into the pool at the local brook and fishing for tiddlers.

Remember the neighbours coming around to watch our 9 inch TV (the first in the road, Dad was a TV engineer and built his own) and me setting fire to the local big boys' bonfire the day before bonfire night, with Mum and the neighbours carrying buckets of water up the long garden to put it out (I was only four). :D

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Never-ending bike rides round the dump, coming home an hour late and getting a clout round the ear from your dad, blowing your whole weeks pocket money on a huge bottle or Corona fizzy orange and chocolate tools, stinking of something burnt, depending on what you'd set fire to that afternoon, lungs still heaving from running from the fireman, building your own bikes from stuff people had thrown out, throwing up after smoking the Embassy you stole from your mates dad, punching your best mate on the nose, and being best mates again ten minutes later, making lethal bows and arrows and catapults, scrumping apples and cherries and anything else edible, having food-fights round the back of the supermarket where they chuck all the spoilt food out, putting half-a-crown on the railway line and seeing how flat it came out, hunting for slow-worms and crested newts, fishing and swimming at the dis-used brickworks, collecting newspapers for the cubs, damming the local stream, flying paper aeroplanes off the local block of flats, building huge underground camps, stealing the lead off the church roof and selling it to the local scrap dealer so you could do it all again next week.

What a shame my kids won't get to do all of those things.

prof

Reaction score
My Location
In the spare room.
Stick
Half a crown on the railway line? I some how don't believe that one, as that would have kept you in sweets for about three months.(We used old pennies up north)

Does anyone remember onga bongas, as we called them, sticks that were used to launch mud balls, or making something like a large arrow, out of bamboo, sharpen one end, make your own flights, and launch with a thick piece of string, dangerous but fun. I now want to go out and make one again.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Green coloured 'pea sticks' were 2p each, 2 playing cards ( cut into heart shapes were always best) and about 1/2" of gas tape as a weight.

OH YES :D

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
prof said:
Stick
Half a crown on the railway line? I some how don't believe that one, as that would have kept you in sweets for about three months.
LOL, you might be right, but then there's always been a north/south divide!

...and you're obviously 10 years older than me... :p

Rod Hulls Aerial

The Lord Lucan Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Star 2 - Motorised
Errr.. thats it.
My Location
The cold and foggy Yorkshire coast..
This is a good post, not quite 40 yet but it's all relevant...
Building go-carts out of shopping trollies and anything we could find in the dads shed, it seems many of us were pyromaniacs as I recall setting fire to a farmers field and getting beaten to within an inch of my life by my dad, going to the shops and always wanting to buy the boxes of diamonds on display (at 16 I found out these were actually boxes of dominoes..)
Fave sweets were Texan bars, mummies and curly wurlys, fave crisps were fish & chips and Bones.
TV was sinister with The Tomorrow People, Dr Who (with Tom Baker) and Monkey

Computers just came in when I left school, the BBC Micro was ace and I remember playing "Defender" on it.

Bonfire night was special, ripping up anything wooden we could find, often at the expense of a neighbours fence or garden gate.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Rod Hulls Aerial said:
Fave sweets were Texan bars....
Oh man, now you have me drooling... my mates introduced me to them, but they made me nibble all the chocy off the outside... ("going to work on a Texan" was the expression I remember...). Took me the best part of Swap Shop to finish the begger...

Now if they brought them back, they would make a fortune...

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
rolfw said:
Remember the neighbours coming around to watch our 9 inch TV (the first in the road, Dad was a TV engineer and built his own) :D
We had a 9" Pye and the cabinet was huge. I think the Matthews final was the first shown on it.

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
Remember Jubilys and Tiger nuts?

loftyj

Reaction score
No one seems to remember Gob Stoppers at 1/2 old pence each, had to have clean hank'y to put them in on arrival at school.