Thor 1w (0.8W) loss of signal bad weather

cfphoenix

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020S; DBox2 DVB-C; 1.1m Triax twin LNB for Astra & Hotbird; 90cm Sky dish for Hispa; 4-way Diseqc
My Location
Belfast
Hi m8s,

I was watching kiosk on Thor 2 and all of a sudden the signal started to break and now the channels are black! When I looked outside, it was raining and the sky was dark.

Previously the signal to noise ratio SNR was 72-73 and now it is fluctuating between 55 to 65 for Thor 1W. I am using an 80CM dish which I bought from liddl and I live in Belfast. On my other liddl dish, the SNR is 80 for Hotbird, despite the bad weather.

My question:
What dish size do you use for Thor 1W (and Hispasat 30W) ? Do you face the loss of signal problem for Thor during bad weather? And what is your SNR for Thor (and your location if you don't mind) ?

I am considering getting a 90cm Triax dish (Are they good?). My Lnb is 0.3db MTI blue line.

Cheers and thanks for the advice/replies.

Rod Hulls Aerial

The Lord Lucan Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Star 2 - Motorised
Errr.. thats it.
My Location
The cold and foggy Yorkshire coast..
Hello there.. I have an 80cm solid dish and am on the East coast of the UK mainland, I generally get about 70% signal on Thor on a good day and in adverse weather this can drop to about 50% but I have never lost picture yet.
You are I believe likely to suffer a bit more signal loss in NI due to being classed in a fringe reception area for 1 west, a bigger dish would certainly help your situation.
Unfortunately it's very common for the weather to affect radio signals, Hotbird is a satellite with a strong footprint covering the British Isles comfortably so signal loss is less common in my experience.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
cfphoenix said:
I was watching kiosk on Thor 2 and all of a sudden the signal started to break and now the channels are black! When I looked outside, it was raining and the sky was dark.

Fine tuning your dish may help.

The Lidl dishes are very good - best way to fine tune is to wait for better weather they move dish until you get the best signal

Place a damp cloth over lnb and set the best signal level again.

That way you will receive the best signal in bad weather.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
97cm 0.6 LNB 88-91% on the strong ones 45-57% on the weak ones.

L

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I have the Triax 90 (88) cm dish for 1W, and it's excellent. In fact it's so good, I just bought a Triax 1.1M dish for 30W!

cfphoenix

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020S; DBox2 DVB-C; 1.1m Triax twin LNB for Astra & Hotbird; 90cm Sky dish for Hispa; 4-way Diseqc
My Location
Belfast
Thanks m8s for these excellent replies.

In the meanwhile, I will fine tune my 80cm liddl dish when the weather clears for Thor 1W. I agree it is very good as I could put 3 LNBs on my other 80CM liddl dish for Hotbird13, Astra19 and Astra28.

But I will consider getting a Triax 90cm or even 1.1 for Hispasat 30W and if it does not work, I will use it for Thor 1W. I have to find the funds now and maybe I will include a motor if I am getting a 1.1M dish, as I am tired of seeing so many dishes.

I am a bit confused about motors in terms of which one to go for. Any idea on this? I am considering to go for a Moteck H to H DiseqC 1.2 motor or should I just get an actuator arm :confused I am confused when it comes to motor.

Thanks again

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
1.1M is a bit big for a diseqc motor IMO, but it's been done plenty of times.

I have an SG2100 motor on my 88cm Triax no probs at all.

I just got my 1.1m from the same place as my 88cm.

_http://www.parabolic.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=57

£50 delivered for the 88cm. £60 for the 1.1m.

cfphoenix

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belfast
Stick,

What do you think of the Moteck Digipower Diseqc 1.2 Motor from _h**p://ww.creativesatellite.co.uk/

I guess it will work with the Triax 1.1M (I want to point at Hispasat and Thor with that).

Cheers.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Cracking little motor, have installed several and use one myself. A 1.1m dish is as big as you would want to use though and not in an exposed position.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Yeah, that IS the SG-2100, and it's my choice of motor (not that I've personally tried any others!).

That's also not a bad price for the UK, but you can get them quite a bit cheaper from the continent.

_http://www.videowinkel.nl/winkels/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=29_44&products_id=40

for example. My m8 had one from there no probs.

As I said, I think the 88cm dish on that motor is fine, but the 1.1m is too big.

Others will disagree.

STICK

cfphoenix

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belfast
Hi m8s,

This motor from the htpp/www.parabolic.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=106

DiSEqC H-H 120

...costs £90 but is also for 1.2m max dish.

And the SG-2100 description also says it supports 1.2m max dish (Costs £70). So, the £90 is better than £70, or both are the same?

@Stick, what motor are you going to use with your 1.1M triax dish??? I will buy the same :) to be on the safer side.

Cheers.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Most of the 'top end' diseqc motors say they will take a 1.2m dish, but in reality that's very optimistic.

My 1.1m will be fixed. If I were to motorize it, I would use a polar mount and actuator, with a VBOX in between.

_http://www.parabolic.co.uk/catalog/images/triax%20polarmount.jpg

_http://www.parabolic.co.uk/catalog/images/Actuator%2012-18.jpg

but maybe not from that shop, as it looks a bit expensive?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Doesn't matter what they say they (DiseqC motors) can handle, install over 1m and an exposed position will knacker them. The SG-2100 will handle as much as any of the others.

cfphoenix

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belfast
I will buy the SG-2100 from Ebay (Germany) for 50 Euros plus postage (I have to ask the seller how much it will be, he accepts Paypal).
ht))p://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=85437&item=5733520907&rd=1&ssPageName=WD3V

I will also go for the triax 1.1M for £60 delivered, and I will just pray that the wind won't spoil the motor :). The dish will be exposed, I have very limited option of where to put it.

This thread is very very informative and has helped me a lot.

Thanks a million m8s.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
NP.

The ebay motor looks good.

Try turning your dish side-on to the wind in storm-force conditions.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
BGonaSTICK said:
The ebay motor looks good.
Try turning your dish side-on to the wind in storm-force conditions.

Paid about that for my motor from Germany (no problems), has a 1m Tele(something) dish attached.

Good advice from BGonaSTICK, I point mine 1 deg West in bad weather which puts the dish flush with the wall, inline of the wind.

Thank goodness I still get some good viewing on 1 West!

cfphoenix

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belfast
Kiosk is black m8s :-ohmy . Two days joy only???

I hope Kiosk and Kanal 5 will be back on in the next couple of days (or weeks) and just a key update is required (Unlike Sly Italy for e.g.). Anyway, I will have more choice with the 1.1m dish and motor now.

Cheers.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Yep. Choice is the answer.

Don't stress, MOTORIZE!

AFAIK, just the usual key swap (to 22 today).

cfphoenix

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belfast
Yes m8. Agree a motor is going to be much better for searching light, in this dark age ;)