Thor 1W

jimmyireland35

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I have inserted all the frequencies for 1 west manually and presto all channels began to download. However the kiosk channels are breaking up and freezing. I get a reading on these of 79% Strength and 80 to 82% Quality. The weather is fine with no wind.

Any ideas on this.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Good, you're getting there.

I'd power off the box, then power it on again. If that doesn't fix it, then you might have to either have your dish re-aligned (try that first if you can reach it yourself - see below for a tip on how to 'test'), a software upgrade to whatever is doing the decoding (I don't think you said what...), or possibly (and maybe more likely than both of the above), a bigger dish, say 1.2M.

If the dish is reasonably accessible, you can try GENTLY flexing the dish by holding the very edge and 'twisting' it east/west a few millimeters, then up/down a few millimeters, while someone checks reception, or a signal on a meter.

0.8W or 1W? Very little difference, but if your reception is marginal, set up on a frequency that you most want, like K!osk!

jimmyireland35

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Tried the Mnahattan receiver site but no updates available.......

tried fine tuning the dish.................No improvement.............

It is only happening on the Kiosk channels and the BBC ones...............

Looks like a bigger dish........................

Any one in Ireland know where I can get a 1.1/1.2 m dish at a reasonable price?

Thanks

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
Have a look in the Buy and Sell

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
If your 1M is struggling in good weather, then I sugest that you go for at least a 1.2M (a 1.1 is not going to give you enough 'extra' signal). You'll also need a 36V motor for it, as the diseqc motors are not really up to throwing a 1.2 around. It would work, but it would wear out very quickly, and may be stripped to shreds in a high wind.

jimmyireland35

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thanks for all the help. This is begining to sound costly. What I think I will do for the moment is to ignore the motor part , and just go for a 1.2m fixed dish.

Thanks

Jimmy

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
No probs, glad to help. Might be worth getting an installer on-site to confirm my diagnosis before you lay out loads of cash.

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
jimmyireland35 said:
Thanks for all the help. This is begining to sound costly. What I think I will do for the moment is to ignore the motor part , and just go for a 1.2m fixed dish.

Thanks

Jimmy

I have a 1.1m dish here in laois and get neary all the 1W channels. Also I do have a motor on the dish, and like Stick says, they are not really ment for big dishes. But in saying that, a 1.2 dish and no motor is like having Roller with no wheels. It wont drive anywhere, but will drive you mad.