Time taken to pair box with card?

yazooo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 x 2
My Location
EU
Right, hello everyone again!

Have been away for a while, but I am getting back into the satellite game! Going to get an install of Sky HD in my house in holland, but will only be able to have one sub due to no multi-room allowed.

I plan on getting a second box however for the bedroom, and I was wondering how long, and how easy it is to switch cards between the boxes? Haven't had a sky box for years! Is it simply stick it in and the channels will come on?

Cheers!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
With one Card, when you move it from the Box it's Paired with to another Box, you'll get everything but the Sports/Movies Premium Channels straight away.

But you'll only get the Sports/Movies Premium Channels on the second Box if you get the Card re-paired ......................

Of course, if you only have Basic Mixes, there won't be a problem.

So the answer depends upon your Subscription level.

yazooo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 x 2
My Location
EU
Thanks for the quick answer! I was planning on getting full sub with sports, no movies. The re-pairing part, how does that work, and how long?

Cheers

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
yazooo said:
Thanks for the quick answer! I was planning on getting full sub with sports, no movies. The re-pairing part, how does that work, and how long?

Cheers

Well re-pairing should be achieved within a couple of hours or so.

BUT: Sky are not likely to tolerate repeated re-pairing, so you need to think about whether you can cope with only being able to get your Sports on the one Box in the long run.

I am, however, a bit confused: You say "no multiroom allowed" , yet you propose to have two Boxes (which means a Quad LN:cool:: Thus the only difference between what you propose and true multiroom is ............. A Card which nobody can possibly know you've got.

Have I missed something here?

Edit: Ah, you're talking about Holland, not London, so it must be the phone line requirement that is the sticking point. Yes?

yazooo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 x 2
My Location
EU
Yes, phone line is indeed the sticking point! I would love to pay them extra for the multi-room package, but they just don't make it possible!!

Thanks for your answers, they will get a little suspect with me calling up for re-pairs all the time! Have to look into perhaps HDMI over IP solution in the long term.

yazooo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 x 2
My Location
EU
yeah, have used dreamboxes before for a similar solution, and while it worked most of the time, sometimes it wasn't perfect, with either network issues or freezing. tempted, but i think will go the normal sky box, at least to begin with.

one other question, will sky hd boxes run fine off only one sat input instead of two. obviously recording one channel and watching another wont work, but will normal viewing be fine?

cheers

WildBit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-DM800 fixed on 28.2-quad
-DM7020 motorized
-Skystar HD2 motorized
-Cards&Cams&Cas
My Location
Ireland
yazooo said:
yeah, have used dreamboxes before for a similar solution, and while it worked most of the time, sometimes it wasn't perfect, with either network issues or freezing. tempted, but i think will go the normal sky box, at least to begin with.

one other question, will sky hd boxes run fine off only one sat input instead of two. obviously recording one channel and watching another wont work, but will normal viewing be fine?

cheers

The boxes have made great improvements on both hw and sw in the past few years. The freezing problems have just about disappeared (at least from me) now and it works perfect on the single tuner models and indeed the dual tuner models as well. If we use dmm as reference, the DM800 is single tuner while the big brother dm8000... is a whole different world (and cost:-().

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
Dont forget to connect the 2. lnb during the autorisation process,then activation comes very quickly,with only one cable connected,it never comes,i also was waiting over one week,then someone told me here,that i have to connect the 2 lnb cable:)

bobby12345678

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
not listed
My Location
leeds
dont connect the box to the phone line what ever you do, sky can see the phone number if its not ex directory, i agree if there has been muliple re-pairing on the v/c then the advisor may get suspicous, they cant do anything about it tho without proof, so if u phone in watch as every call is recorded and can be played back by their cel (customer experience leader, in other words their boss), and use that as proof and block u,

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
bobby12345678 said:
dont connect the box to the phone line what ever you do, sky can see the phone number
What do you mean? How could Sky see the phone number? The number that the box uses to dial Sky is part of the firmware so it can't be changed to dial from a foreign country (no country code), hence Sky would never know if it were ever plugged in to a non UK phone line.