Time travel - ouch!

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Imagine how painful it would be to travel slightly backwards in time - by, say, a tenth of a second.
Unless you were travelling faster than about 20 miles per hour at the time, you'd materialize in approximately but not exactly the same space occupied by your slightly younger self.

In fact, even if you materialize clear of your own body, you may well end up merged with someone else's. Ouch.

Indeed, even if you were clear of all people and objects, you would still materialise in a space occuppied by air and dust particles. Imagine the impact on your pulmonary system or the general cellular damage as a cubic meter of air is instantly integrated into a body whose osmotic pressure had already been in equilibrium.

Wearing some kind of a protective suit would not help either, since the contents of the suit (you) would still materialise into the same space. Wearing a suit will not magically cause the space you are about to materialise in to be conveniently evacuated before you arrive.

Strikes me that time travel would only be safe in a total vacuum.

2old

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Isnt this the stuff of the Philadelphia Experiment, where records (well those that were leaked) suggest that some of the crew were found in parts of the ships deck, hands in walls, halfway through floors etc etc

The idea of a passage through time has to include the machinery necessary to shift the person as well as the person, and so rather then a vacuum (which descibes a lack of atmosphere), I would put forward - even patent if its allowed - some form of filtering of particles that also exist in a vacuum.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Just realised that if you re to travel back through time then theoretically one wouldhave to be in the machine and / or wearing the suit at the time of the start of time travel, and so one would have to avoid interacting with not only onesself, but any equipment that would be with you.

So travelling naked at 20mph offers the best and worst scenarios, no risk of materialising with you or your kit, but a good chance of blisters on the feet, and maybe cuts and bruises from tripping over.

Besides has anyone run at 20mph, one may have to jump off a wall to reach this speed, and then what would be the point of travelling back a tenth of a second as the end result would be a couple of feet higher up the fall (and naked) ?

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Perhaps the best plan would be to always travel forwards to a time in which your injuries had healed.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
On a more serious note:
If you continue throughout your time travel to also occupy space - albeit for fleeting moments at a time - then you would be effectively constantly rematerializing into space occupied by your former/future self and machine. This even in a complete vacuum.

This time traval malarcky's bloody dangerous if you ask me.

Stardust

Reaction score
My Location
pj::
You are wrong, because you think in 3 dimensional.
Is time realy the 4th dimension? or the 5th, 6th?
According some scientist there are 11 dimesions.
Because we only can think in and imagine 3 dimensions, we will never be able to understand how this look like.

I'll give it a try.
1st: Mater does not exist in 3D form as we know it during time travel.
It will reorganise in 3D at arival.
So during trafel is no problem.
2nd: Is reorganise in 3D form instanly or from a centerpoint?
In this case there is no problem either