Tiny spherical antennas

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Well, Skip Channel was asking about that particular magazine. I assume the editor only accepts valid stuff, but obviously can't check eveything, and of course any articles published aren't "scientific papers", of the type that would be peer reviewed in technical "journals".

I'm sure the spherical antenna's inventor is sincere, I don't wish to suggest otherwise, but I'm also fairly certain there's no "magical" technique that "bypasses" known physical laws (if there were, money and patent lawyers would quicly follow .....). But, there might be a "niche market" for what he's done, if it fulfills some particular local need.

Receiving where you "shouldn't"? Mght be all sorts of reasons. I use a 40 cm Sky minidish - from behind a double glazed window! - and can get Hotbird, although I'm "not supposed to" (always the stronger transponders, and sometimes most of them, depending on weather!).

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
My Hotbird reception depends on which window I point the dish at! Two identical sized panes offer almost two different sets of frequencies.

I get many of the low band channels (and not much in the high band) if my dish is looking through the left pane. I get many of the high band channels (and not much in the low band) if it's looking through the right.

The middle pane is wider but shorter so to get good reception of any satellite the dish has to be upside down - and that gets results like the right pane.

FWIW the left pane has been replaced after the local kids broke it, so possibly different type of glass!

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Yeah, also get variable results here ("it's a pane", ha ha ha .... oh dear!).

Window glass does seem unpredictable on hi band, agreed, it must somehow depend on the glass exact composition, but I don't know what!