TMS or TM

bjo11y

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none as yet
My Location
UK
Hi,

Have read lots of stuff and decided to go for Technomate 1500 CI+ Super.

However I contacted Technomate and said I was looking for a portable-ish system for use with my .....er.....caravan PLEASE NOTE (I am not a caravanner I have to use it for work and am away from home a bit). Honest!!

They recommended the TMS version as it is exactly the same but with a more sensitive receiver (their words).

I intend using a motorised 80cm or 90cm dish (not yet decided) with a robust tripod.

Can anyone comment or give me advice.

Regards

BJ

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi,

I have no comment on the receiver.

My only comment would be on a portable motorised system.

I don't know over what distance the caravan is going to be moved over
(if at all)but if the distance is significant ,the motor latitude and azimuth position will need changing every time you move,as will the receiver location setting, and the dish elevation.
Also the pole that the motor mounts to must be perfectly vertical.
So basically every time you move, you would have to re-set everything
up, so that you can track the arc.

There are motorised systems however, specifically designed for caravan use, where the satellite positions are found automatically. This may be a more convenient (albeit more expensive) option to the conventional motorised setup.

bjo11y

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none as yet
My Location
UK
Thanks Robbo71,

I am mainly in the UK south to scotland. Is this difficult to do ?

I am an engineer so wondered if I could make up a jig to do this for me between dish and motor ?

The purpose built systems are B****y expensive and as far as I can tell not as good.

BJ

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Yes, there are some b******y expensive ones by the looks of it, and only have a 60cm dish. There are also some f******g expensive ones with an 85cm dish. How good the reception is depends primarily on dish size, since for the ones I have seen, you can use your own receiver.

No, its not too difficult setting up a standard motorised system, but it can take a little time; more time consuming than a basic fixed dish (couple of minutes with practice). I suppose if you did it frequently you could do it very quickly, but still probably get fagged off with keep doing it (especially after a drive and a hard days graft).

I'm not sure what sort of jig you had in mind, (mechanics are not my forte, I'm an electronics engineer), but I think you would want to be able to change the azimuth and elevation of the dish independently for easier setup. I believe there are such motorised mounts available (other than the expensive caravan ones), I saw a post a while back from 'Likvid' mentioning one.