To change an actuator

aseman

Reaction score
My Location
London
Hi, I have a channel master 1m dish and my 12" actuator seems to have failed. I want to intall an 18" version (giving me a wider arc).

Do i need to re-align my dish to do this?

Also, is changing the actuator straight forward?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
There should be no need to realign the dish unless the extreme areas of the tracking arc are out

You should first check there is enough room behind the dish to install the new actuator (It will be up to six inches further back, which may hit a wall/chimney)

Then will the dish be able to move the further distances East or West ? Not just the limits of the reflector (again it might hit other objects) but the bearings in the polarmount - Lenson Heath dishes for example are limited to 45 degrees either side of South

Replacing the actuator for one of the same shaft diameter is straightforward, if the original joint on the back part of the dish is uncorroded then reuse it

Set the mechanical limits up correctly when its all done, the receiver should be able to reset ther electronic limits without difficulty

aseman

Reaction score
My Location
London
Thanks for that!

Ive got nothing surrounding the dish, so it will move further (its on a flat roof). The arm that is joined onto the back of the dish is a little corroded (the dish has been there since early 90s!). But i thinks its okay to re-use.

Do u recommend the Jaeger 18" acutuator, or are there any that are supposed to be quicker / more silent?

Cheers again

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Good and bad from all manufacturers

Get the dealer to run one up in the shop to hear the noise

Usually after one bad frost or winter they all start making a noise

aseman

Reaction score
My Location
London
what a mash up! - tried to install my 18! jaeger actuator in a hurry - blagged it - went to the receiver upstairs to move my dish (and set limits to test), went back on the roof and the actuator had twisted and snapped itself!

Im getting another actuator and getting a professional to do it next time!