To sky or not to sky?

sadamson74

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
topfield pvr4000 on astra, astra2 & hotbird.
My Location
France
Hello all, thanks for all the great info on these forums - I have been trawling through for a while and am now considering changing my PVR for a SKY HD box and subscription but have a few unanswered questions.

1. I have seen inferences that SKY HD will only allow me to record SKY channels, ie not BBC, ITV etc. can someone confirm this?

2. I have 3 twin LNBs passing througha diseqc switch to my PVR - will a sky box allow me to scan in the extra channels on hotbird and astra?

Thanks to all in advance. ;)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you subscribe to Sky, then you will be able to record any channel on Astra 28.2, as long as it is in the EPG, not sure that you can record any channels added manually. Apparently you can pay Sky £10 per month if you don't subscribe, simply to be able to record the free to air and free to view channels, but you must have a freesat card and I can't really see the point, you may as well pay slightly more and get some pay channels as well.

Sky digiboxes do not have DiseqC capabilities, so will not work through a DiseqC switch for anything but output A.

sadamson74

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
France
Thanks Rolf, was planning to get a subscription anyway and most of what we watch is on 28.2 so I guess I'll have to "let the others go." Can you tell me though if the BBC / ITV channels are in the EPG? Thanks.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes they are, so no problems there. :)

I would retain the PVR for the other satellites and then run the two Sky feeds in separately for the Sky HD or Sky+ receiver, then you have the best of both worlds. :)

Wherabouts in France are you?

sadamson74

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
France
Thanks again for the responses - I don't think I'll keep the second PVR - once the SKY HD is running I don't imagine I'll want to watch anything else - besides, ther's not much anymore worth watching on astra / hotbird.

I live about 20km southeast of Geneva - getting astra/hotbird no problem at 95% - 28.2 is at about 85% strength 75% quality with a 95cm dish and titanium 0.2db in good weather but I hope to improve that by pointing it straight at the sat afterwards.