Too big for wall mount?

j.m.

Sorry I'm a bit Dim
My Location
NW UK (Lancashire)
Thinking of Putting a 1.2Mtr Channel Master SMC dish up on the gable end of the house..... & some kind of yet to be decided motor....... :p

Is this wise?..... Not likely to pull the wall down is it?....

Any suggestions on a motor kit?

Still deciding on a couple of other bits & bobs too...... Just a bit of a feasability study this :cool:

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Depending on the bracketry being used, I would normally look for the top of the mount to be two metres from the apex of the gable. I like to see a lot of brickwork above the fixings. :)

rolfw

Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
PS. If you use through bolts and a plate, you could put it higher, not a bad idea to use them anyway.

j.m.

Sorry I'm a bit Dim
My Location
NW UK (Lancashire)
I have this nice Ooofin length of zinc coated scaffolding tube, I found ;)

Was thinking of putting spreader plates on some hefty TK brackets..... That do
you think? Or does somone make a specifically designed whizz bit, that I can perloin the design of? :D

rolfw

Staff member
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
There are loads of brackets made, CH has some specs I believe, obviously the bigger the spread the better. I've seen some really heavy duty T&Ks with 3 inch mast facility, but they are quite expensive.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK South
Dont ask me, I always make my own, its all based on the quality of the brickwork, whether it has a cavity (ooerrr), , rendering, and height of the dish above the highest bracket

For a CM 1.2 you should really be using the best T+Ks out there, and three of them spaced 1m apart. That makes the post about 3.5m long if the dish is looking over a wall, and maybe more if it has to look over a pitched roof.

Can you take pictures of the wall you need it bolting to ?

j.m.

Sorry I'm a bit Dim
My Location
NW UK (Lancashire)
Umm yeah I can take a pikki of it, its a Accrington Brick wall, with cavity.

I want to hide the dish behind the apex of the roof :-)

Pikki to come later....... Its a bit dark out there :-0

Channel Hopper

Staff member
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK South
If its t' cavity, then a big no no for through bolts/plates , maybe chemical bolts.

Is it windy where you are ? (Whats an Accrington wall ?)

j.m.

Sorry I'm a bit Dim
My Location
NW UK (Lancashire)
Accrington Brick is really quite hard..... No holes in them & a fairly shallow frog
All in all an excellent quality brick...... I was thinking of Rawl Bolts.....

I'm about 18miles off the west coast... Just one a year (Usually) it blows like hell for a couple of weeks....... Pilot light keeps going out on the boiler.... A real pain... So this has gotta be quite a strong Beast...... Plus I'm gonna have to be carefull not to get too low down or the lil darlings around the neighbourhood will be climbing up the Ferker :-0

Channel Hopper

Staff member
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK South
Electrify it !