Toolbar hijacker

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
Anyone know of a good programme for removing toolbar hackers and general unwanted stuff getting thrown at you. Was on warez site and picked up this crap and cant get it off my laptop. Ran ad ware remover, spy hunter, trojan remover. Gets it off but then its back when I switch it back on. Have norton antivirus running and it still got through. Any ideas

foden

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fracarro 1 Metre Dish
Dark Gold Lnb 0.1
Superior Dark Motor
Super Darkbox HD Rev 2008 Combo
Cable CT-100
My Location
Liverpool
Hi john,

You could try, Crap Cleaner, www.ccleaner.com

before downloading click on forum, then 3rd topic down, pinned: Beginners Guide, and printable version, print, this gives an explanation of what it doe's.

I have only installed it a couple of days ago so still getting use to it, not sure about the tool bar, it does also clean the index.dat files amongst others.

hope this has been of some help, good luck.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You've probably tried everything that i would have used, with perhaps the exception of stinger.exe, seems to kill off quite a bit. :) But you might have to resort to doing a bit of registry trimming once you find the names of the offending programmes.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
What is the name of the toolbar? Task Manager will also show the name but it is in the registry which is why Norton won't get it.

I run: Pest Patrol, Window Washer, Zone ALarm, Ad Aware and there is a free scan on the Zone Alarm website

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Microsoft Anti-Spy works well. Download from the front page of the microsoft site if you want to try it.

Irishrover63

Reaction score
Hi John, try this site : http://castlecops.com/forums.html they know everything there is to removing your tool bar, but you must be patient. Under the "privacy" heading select Hijackthis etc. You will have to download the programm hijackthis and post the results on the forum so that a moderator can give you assistance.

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
Thanks for all the reply`s, will try them all out on Sat. The toolbar hacker is Azesearch, And its putting the mature content site as my home page.Even shortcut on my desktop. Not very nice as my daughters use the laptop for their presentations. Have zone alarm somewhere on disc. Thanks once again.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Check your favourites lists too as a lot of these hijackers put extra entries in there.

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
Analoguesat said:
Check your favourites lists too as a lot of these hijackers put extra entries in there.
Yes quiet a few folders there too. Keep on deleating them but they pop in again after a restart. Found my copy of zone. Puting it in now. Back later

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
After going through loads of programes, I found Spyware Doctor 3.0 got rid of all the crap. Restarted computer several times and its all gone. It deletes the cookies as they appear and saves you going into sites where you will pick up adware. 10 out of 10 at the moment.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If you are using xp take a restore point now you are clean.:) Be aware that any restore points made automatically whilst you were nobbled will be compromised so you might want to lose them.

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
Analoguesat said:
If you are using xp take a restore point now you are clean.:) Be aware that any restore points made automatically whilst you were nobbled will be compromised so you might want to lose them.

Just turned on computer and guess what the mature content icons are back on desktop and when i went on to internet, the azesearch web was trying to open ahead of the chelseafc homepage which I had set. The spyware doctor blocked me from opening the azesearch page, so had to reset it againto cfc one. Tried to set system restore point a few times yesterday, but when restarted It says unable to restore to that point. Tried a few others and still the same. Just saving all my files to dvd and going to do a reload of windows xp.

brewby

Reaction score
I had the same problem with azesearch, I used spyware remover from bullet proof software and it removed all spyware and deletes the registry entry as well.
Worth a try

Phil_S

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ PVR1
Dreambox 5620
P3 900MHz
john_graydon said:
Just turned on computer and guess what the mature content icons are back on desktop and when i went on to internet, the azesearch web was trying to open ahead of the chelseafc homepage which I had set. The spyware doctor blocked me from opening the azesearch page, so had to reset it againto cfc one. Tried to set system restore point a few times yesterday, but when restarted It says unable to restore to that point. Tried a few others and still the same. Just saving all my files to dvd and going to do a reload of windows xp.

Did you try turning the system restore function off before you tried to clean this off. I remember having some sort of virus on my system once which re-installed itself on startup. I think that this was because removal tools cannot get to the area of the disc where the system restore info is.........Just a thought.

Phil

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
Phil_S said:
Did you try turning the system restore function off before you tried to clean this off. I remember having some sort of virus on my system once which re-installed itself on startup. I think that this was because removal tools cannot get to the area of the disc where the system restore info is.........Just a thought.

Phil

No Phil did not turn it off, got so p*s*ed off with all the crap that i scrubbed the drive and done a complete install. Ran Norton ghost and saved all my stuff on 3 dvds. So much For Norton Internet Security.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I wouldn't trust Ghost either. Have you tried reloading the backup image? That's when it told me it couldn't do it - months later!

I got really f***** off with it and now use Acronis True Image. It's superb (and cracked :) )

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
BGonaSTICK said:
I wouldn't trust Ghost either. Have you tried reloading the backup image? That's when it told me it couldn't do it - months later!

I got really f***** off with it and now use Acronis True Image. It's superb (and cracked :) )

Nice one, I will get that and get rid of the other stuff.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
I swear by Spybot. I had one or two instances when it removed suspected Browser hijacks. Can be had free of charge
h**p://www.spybot.info/en/home/index.html

Together with adaware they offer good protection. (must say that I also got Norton & the Fritz! web protect as well as the latest MS browser with popup blocker and all) . Pretty difficult to get into my computer I hope :)

I would try Spybot out, it has some nice tools for the registry as well as a file shredder for those secret things you don't want anyone to recover....