Top 4 satellite positons

kroc_kroc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TV: Panasonic 42PX60 DVD Recorder: Panasonic DMR EX85 AV Amp: Yamaha DSP Z9 Front Speakers: Monitor Audio GR60's Centre: Monitor Audio GR Centre Rear Speakers: 2 x Monitor Audio GR Centres Sub: BK Monolith DF [ No satelite equipment yet ]
My Location
NW London
Not sure if this is in the correct section but…

If you had to choose 4 satellite positions – what would you choose?

Currently I'm thinking of:

1. Hot Bird 6 at 13.0°E
2. Eurobird 1 & Astra 2A/2B/2C/2D at 28.2°E
3. Astra 3A at 23.5°E (have to choose this one due to my Slovakian wife)
4. Astra 1G at 19.2°E

At the moment I have chosen a fixed 1m Triax dish with 4 LNBs – will this affect reception quality (having 4 mounted)?

My installer keeps putting me off the motorised route :(

I would like to eventually tune in to Premier League broadcasts so I don't know if I have potential with the above locations?

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
well if the conax hack on 1west lasts a bit then 1west will be a good satellite position to have - thats if you have a diablo cam

16east for digitalb if you want premier league football, subscription card are reasonable price so an option to look in to

nothing wrong with a motorised dish if it is installed correctly, seems to me the installer is not or doesn't have any experience of them so is off putting you

but a 1.2m motorised dish would be a good option (only suggested 1.2m as you need 23east channels)

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
kroc_kroc said:
At the moment I have chosen a fixed 1m Triax dish with 4 LNBs – will this affect reception quality (having 4 mounted)?

Well, the gain of the dish will be less at the offset positions,but with a large enough dish and strong enough satellites there won't be a problem.

You certainly shouldn't have problems with those 4 sats, apart from some transponders on 23.5E.

With the narrow LNBs you may also be able to fit one in for 16E, but you would need a Diseqc switch with more inputs.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Speak to your installer and specify motorised. If after this he is pushing you to go fixed multi-LNb route, I would find another installer. Chances are he won't be able to set up the fixed dish either :-rofl2

If you do go fixed with Multi LNb arrangement, The Triax 20 deg Triax bracket will be fine for the four satellites you mentioned. I would say align on 19e prime and offset 13e, 23e & 28e :D

kroc_kroc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TV: Panasonic 42PX60 DVD Recorder: Panasonic DMR EX85 AV Amp: Yamaha DSP Z9 Front Speakers: Monitor Audio GR60's Centre: Monitor Audio GR Centre Rear Speakers: 2 x Monitor Audio GR Centres Sub: BK Monolith DF [ No satelite equipment yet ]
My Location
NW London
Maybe it's because I want to install the motorised dish on the chimney breast? He says this will cause vibrations which may annoy the neighbors? Are the vibrations that bad?

Quote for fixed on chimney breast:

Triax 100cm dish
Triax multi LNB Holder
Triax 0.2db LNB x 4
4 way switch
Cable
£200

Labour
£100

Total
£300

Would the motorised route be a lot more expensive?

Was thinking of going for a Superior DarkMotor at £69.00 – a little pricey but I don't mind paying extra for peace of mind – installer has worried me about motors going wrong or being unstable in wind.

Is there any all in one kits which include the motor or is it better to buy the best dish, best LNB, best motor etc.

All the kit the installer is recommending is Triax but I'm not sure about these dishes after reading some reviews?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
It's a fair price but... a 1Mtr dish on a chimney may not be the best solution, maybe a TK installtion somewhere on the building. Vibrations, what's that, LOl :)

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
To be honest, I would not fancy a 1m dish on a chimney stack, the whole lot could come crashing down. Perhaps one of our installer members would be able to advise better.

Is this your only choice for installation location? I would have thought, just above the roofline would be a safer option if you have obstruction issues.

Cost wise the materials needed for a motorised dish and a mult-LNB dish are about the same.

kroc_kroc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW London
I think I want to go motorised. AFAIK there are no obstruction issues.

I live in a purpose built terrace flat (built 1910) so it's either somewhere on the front or the roof. I live on the first floor. I would have preferred to be more discreet with the dish.

What is a "TK installtion"?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
T&K: Two piece bracket arrangement, sizes extend from 12 inch to 36 inch fixed to the wall allowing a mast to be installed over and above the guttering height :)
Google T&K and all will be answered :D

kroc_kroc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW London
satelliteman – does your FRACARRO PENTA 85 pick up 23.5E in the Midlands?

Went to a friends house and he has this dish (lives near me) and he could get signals from 23.5E (with the FRACARRO dish) but didn't have the correct CAM to watch the channels (Skylink). The signal strength on most channels was about 90%. This dish to me looks good and some say acts like a 100cm dish. Would it be as good as the 100cm Triax?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
I get Astra 3 but lose it to rain fade. Your location is more East than me and will have more margin.

As for the PENTA being as good as a Triax 1.1m, I can't answer that as I have not compared the two against each other. One thing is for sure, it's performs better than a triax 88cm and will out perform some poor quaility 1 Mtr dishes :)

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Now, if only someone would lend me their Penta, I could do some comparisons.:-rofl2

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
I have one in stock here. Your welcome to come up to visit Robbo :-rofl2 Only problem is, you might have to come out and help with my installs for the day:-lmao

Personally, think the Triax 110 would perform as good as or slightly better than the PENTA 85 :D

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
satelliteman said:
I have one in stock here. Your welcome to come up to visit Robbo :-rofl2 Only problem is, you might have to come out and help with my installs for the day:-lmao

I would be happy to:) When can I come?;)

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
1metre dish on the chimney thats is not recommended as it will come down in windy weather

better would be an install on a wall using suitable brackets such as t&k brackets

also @ 23east there is astra 1e which is very strong signal , are the channels you need to have on there or astra 3a check _www.lyngsat.com

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
yes Skylink packages are on both sats 1e & 3. My guess would be Astra3

kroc_kroc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW London
The Skylink package that my wife will use is on Astra 3a.

The chimney would be good because it would be much more discreet but I guess we'll have to go for the front of the house :( I don't mind it but I hope the neighbors don't complain.

To make matters even worse the place where I'm getting it from only has 110mm Triax dishes in stock. They can get 100mm but I want it installed on Sunday and I'm too impatient to wait. I guess 110mm equals better reception from satellites but not so good reception from neighbors.

Is the t&k bracket with pole a better/stronger route than the mount which I think is called an arm mount?

I think this motor says that it's suitable for up to 1m dishes – is the 1.1m pushing it too much?

And I'm going to go for a STAB Motor – I think it's the HH100. It's £70 and i know it's supposed to be slower than the others but apparently they're quite sturdy and reliable.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Don't put a Triax 110 with motor using the standard L type arm, you will lose it to the wind for sure :-rofl2 Go for the T&K and pole option :)

Re: The neighbours, run them a feed and keep them sweet, Lol :-lmao

Sorry had to, :-rofl2

I wouldn't put a 110cm on a DiSEqC motor esp.. on T&K high up, others may have different views. 1 Mtr yes !

The STAB motor is good, no noise but very slow unlike the Moteck :D

kroc_kroc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW London
Just found out the new installer is recommending the STAB HH100 motor with the 1.1 dish. I told him my concerns i.e. it's designed for 1m+ dishes but he assured me he has been doing it this way for years and hasn't had any problems.

The dish would be mounted just below midway up the house (between groundfloor and first floor windows).

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
That's fair and many will have different opinions. In fact I looked at doing just that but decided against it. I would recommend the use of heavy duty bracketry for such a job.

Don't forget to post the final installation pictures up on the members own systems section, look forward to it.

good luck

Satman :)