Top-Up TV

N

net1

Top-Up TV today announced details of its new service which will allow viewers with certain digital terrestrial set-top boxes to receive additional channels.

The new service will only be available to viewers with set-top boxes that have a slot for a viewing card, such as those supplied for the now defunct ITV Digital service.

Top-UP TV will launch next month offering the following channels -

UK Style
E4
Discovery
UK Gold
Turner Classic Movies
UK Food
Cartoon Network
Discovery Home and Leisure
Boomerang
Bloomberg

Viewers to the service will also be able to subscribe to the adult channel Television X.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Do we have a definitive price for this yet? Will it be an a la carte service or a flat fee?

PaulR

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I believe that it is £7.99/month

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hmmmmmm

Might almost be worth it.

But I need an old ITV digital box first.

Oh yes, and a 5th scart input on the TV.

PaulR

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
j.m. said:
You could use yea olde RF? :p
I'm already struggling to find 2 free channels for my Dodgybox and VCR. There's no chance round here of a spare channel for me to put another box on.

And, anyway, what about the quality, or lack of it, of the video. No proper widescreen and definitely no stereo sound.

PaulR

Stephen

Reaction score
This has got to be a joke! 10 part-time channels (5 feeds) for 7.99 a month plus a connection charge of 20 quid?

My prediction is that $ky will let it get going to whet the DTT viewers appetites for channels like UK Gold, then drop their basic subscription to 8 quid or less, causing topup.tv to go belly up. In a repeat of what happened after ITVDig failed, $ky will then pick up thousands of new viewers. Of course the subscription will go back up to the current level - they're not daft!

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Promo is now on Channel 26

Richard Briers voiceover does not mention anything about IDTVs being compatible, so there may be some problems with external CAMs on the system

mrwhippy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
wonder if there gonna use the same encrption as before i do hope so time for me to start looking for them old gold cards

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Most likely to be Seca 2 - as I believe ITV Digital was about to change over to before they went tits up.

It's going to be a mamoth job with all the over-the-air upgrades that each variety of machine will need. Wonder how much it'll all cost?

PaulR

madharry

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
no hackers cracked ITV Dig, from what I gather info just got leaked out,
so I think that the same type of encryption should be ok for them to use !
as long as nothing new in the info line gets leaked out

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The Mediaguard encryption was hacked to bits Madharry, ok it may have been by released information, but there is no way that they could use it in the same form, as it would be too easy to obtain the keys.

j.m.

Sorry I'm a bit Dim
Reaction score
Website
www.thomsonsecurity.com
My Location
NW UK (Lancashire)
PaulR said:
what about the quality, or lack of it, of the video. No proper widescreen and definitely no stereo sound.

PaulR
Ya need shaping my man....... "Widescreen & Stereo Sound" Bloomin' Jesse :rolleyes:
I remember the days when ya were lucky if the street had 1 picture to share between em........... O-Ha

Namby Pamby Southern Softee :D

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Southern?? Me???

Definitely not. As far as I'm concerned Cockneys begin at Warrington.

And if I've got a widescreen TV I want something to fill it up with!

PaulR

madharry

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
well Rolfw it's the same slot that they want you to put the new card in so ......hackers on standby !!!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Ah yes, but they will be sending out updates to the CAM firmware and I would guess that the cards will be new generation as well. We will see. :)

englishman64

Reaction score
UK Style, E4, Discovery, UK Gold, Turner Classic Movies, UK Food, Cartoon Network, Discovery Home and Leisure, Boomerang, Bloomberg.
£7.99 for that lot, They must think we are all on 'the wrong bus'

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
LOl yes, wasn't even considering the content. I have the £20 Sky package and I really have to say that I don't watch any of these channels, so certainly wouldn't subscribe to get them, even if I didn't have other options. But of course, it isn't me or people like me that they are hoping to appeal to. :)