Topfield Update -PC Cannot detect STB

gee777

Reaction score
I have a Topfield tf3200ir and I am having problems downloading software from my pc using the RS-232 port.

'-When I connect the two my pc does not detect that a receiver is connected.Do I need to download drivers for the receiver to enable my pc to detect it?

'-I am using a female-to-female 9-pin straight through serial cable could that be a problem?The official Topfield download instructions mention "PC pin 5 <-> STB pin 5" etc and I am not sure what this refers to since the RS-232 connection has got 9 pins

-'The instructions also say that before I start I should 'turn off the target stb' does that mean I should put it on standby or disconnect it from the power source?

Please help if you are familiar with receiver updates..

alec

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
120 cm Laminas dish
Inverto Black Ultra Quad
Humax HDR1010S and Foxsat HDR; Topfield TF 4000 PVR
My Location
Southwest France
If it's anything like my Toppy TF 4000 PVR...

The cable needs to be "null modem" (crossover of pins 2 and 3). Available e.g. on Ebay for a couple of £.

With the toppy in standby, connect cable, run TFD_DOWN (downloaded from the Topfield site) and then select the new firmware file (find button).

Click download.

Press the power supply button on the topfield to bring it out of standby (no need to disconnect from the mains - it's in upgrade mode for a few seconds after switching on).

Wait for upgrade to complete (should have "end" or similar on the display).

Put box back into standby and disconnect cable.

Some types may need to be disconnected from the mains at this point and then a factory reset (see menu).

The Australian Topfield forum www.topfield-australia.com.au/frm/ (free registration required) has good tips in English (the German and Dutch sites are more comprehensive - if you speak the language!)

Good luck!

gee777

Reaction score
alec said:
If it's anything like my Toppy TF 4000 PVR...

The cable needs to be "null modem" (crossover of pins 2 and 3). Available e.g. on Ebay for a couple of £.

With the toppy in standby, connect cable, run TFD_DOWN (downloaded from the Topfield site) and then select the new firmware file (find button).

Click download.

Press the power supply button on the topfield to bring it out of standby (no need to disconnect from the mains - it's in upgrade mode for a few seconds after switching on).

Wait for upgrade to complete (should have "end" or similar on the display).

Put box back into standby and disconnect cable.

Some types may need to be disconnected from the mains at this point and then a factory reset (see menu).

The Australian Topfield forum www.topfield-australia.com.au/frm/ (free registration required) has good tips in English (the German and Dutch sites are more comprehensive - if you speak the language!)

Good luck!

Thanks that sure helps!I now know that my problem was the cable.