Topfield5500 v Humax9100

Pyrrah

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Trying to set up a Hotbird/Astra 19 sytem.
Just Sky+ and ordinary PC at the moment.
My Location
Northern Ireland
Thinking of getting a double tuner box. The Topfield can be £90 dearer than the Humax(depending on where you look). What do you get for the extra ££?

What about the Echostar?

Any experiences or views welcome.

Thanks

alec

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
120 cm Laminas dish
Inverto Black Ultra Quad
Humax HDR1010S and Foxsat HDR; Topfield TF 4000 PVR
My Location
Southwest France
Pyrrah said:
Thinking of getting a double tuner box. The Topfield can be £90 dearer than the Humax(depending on where you look). What do you get for the extra ££?

What about the Echostar?

Any experiences or views welcome.

Thanks
I have a TF 4000 PVR (double tuner) and am very impressed with the quality of pictures and sound. Recordings are indentical with live. A bit quirky at first, but fine when you get used to it. In hindsight, would have bought the fancier one for the extra facilities.
TIP try comparing prices in Germany (e.g. Promarkt or on Ebay). Mine was a lot cheaper than from the UK - worth the extra postage.

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
I would never recommend Topfield ever again.

You will notice when you have bought the damn thing how stupid their software is.

For an example, you can't rename or add a satellite.

You need to download the configuration file with a special software to your PC which means you need to connect the USB cable and download it, next thing is that you have to use their editor Vega software which in my opinion sucks, after that you have again connect your PC to the receiver and upload the configuration file, then you have to reboot the receiver to make the change take effect.

This is only the start of it, Topfield charges a hefty amount of money for their receivers which in my opinion is really bad.

Do I have anything positive to say? yes, their design is pretty nice and the tuner is very sensitive if you live in a fringe reception area.

My recommendation for you would be to look at the Arion AF-9300PVR, it's better than Topfield and the Aion is the OEM manufacturer of Echostar PVR-5020, the AF-9300=PVR-5020 but with a nicer design.

http://www.satellite-heaven.de/index.htm?jump=testreports/arion-af9300pvr.htm

The Arion is freely available in Germany and you can get it for around 380 euro without HD.

Humax is pretty good, but they are old and lives on their sales on pretty old models.

In this group i would surely recommend Arion.