Toroidal 90Cm- 19E to 30W possible?

sgar

Reaction score
My Location
Sweden
Hi
i just got a Torodial 90 Cm dish, looks really nice indeed, altrough the guy in the shop said that its a real pain to set it up, so i will try to put it up i a few days, but before i start doing it i would appreciate a little advice.
I have 4 LNB's and i would really like to have the following, altrough i doubt it will be possible:
1: 19E,13E,5E and 30W
or
2: 28E,19E,13E,5E

I think the first is almost impossible, but it will be nice, otherwise i hope that option 2 will do. A little advice will save me a lot of time,so thanks in advance.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well it is supposed to work with a 45 degree spread, so you may do it, you may have problems on Hispasat though, you are slightly too far out.

sgar

Reaction score
My Location
Sweden
Hi rolfw,
You are helpful as always.
Ok , so i think i can give it a try then, do you think it will be best to have 5E in the center(ish) of the dish?

Thanks

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
No sgar, I would be more inclined to centre the dish on 5 or 12W, even if you don't keep the LNb on them, it should give you a better chance of pulling in 30W.

sgar

Reaction score
My Location
Sweden
Hi
a little update:
i got the dish up and runnig today, but unfortuantely 30W didnt work with my setup.
I have tried all differnt things but it just didnt fit with my setup.
I got recepion of it but i couldt see 13 and 19E. On top of that, becouse the elevation was different, i wouldnt have been able to get them all togheter anyway as in order to get 30W i had to move the dish's elevation a bit down , wich made the otehr satellites unreachable.
Well i guess i was asking for too much, but it was worth the try.
I got now 28E as well as 13-19 and 5E on one dish, that is quite good nevertheless. Altrough 30W would have been really nice.....

Thanks again for the help

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Is the dish not designed to be tilted Sgar, I thought that the idea was to set the centre LNB, then adjust the skew of the dish to suit one of the outside LNBs, it should then follow the horizon. I seem to remember seeing a setup guide for it somewhere and it did seem to be a little complex. :)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The toroidal design will only follow satellites in a straight line, with a very small deviation from this caused by the beamwidth widening of the design . It is not designed to track a full arc (this should be apparent from the set up plans with the dish)

So 30 West is just not possible if you have 19 East and 1 West

jay

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Lisbon
Hi Sgar, I'm also going into a T90 with the same needs, which I haven't tried yet. A company from Luxemberg, Sathifax, say that they have modified the dish for a 49º reception angle.

Channel Hopper said:
The toroidal design will only follow satellites in a straight line, with a very small deviation from this caused by the beamwidth widening of the design . It is not designed to track a full arc (this should be apparent from the set up plans with the dish)

So 30 West is just not possible if you have 19 East and 1 West

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Wont work unless you give up the possibility of anything near the centre of the arc, the final alignment will give 19E, 13E and 30W, with maybe the spare LNB on 28East

Put up a separate dish on 5E (you would need a larger dish than 90cm anyway for all thats on Sirius)

sgar

Reaction score
My Location
Sweden
that sounds interesting, i can put a minidsh for Sirius as i am in a really good location for that.

M

mherman443

There were no instructions on how to install and setup the T55 toroidal dish. I'm in south Florida, 33065, and am trying to get Echostar 110 119, bellexpressvu. Can anyone offer some suggestions or possible links to visit?

I purchased the dish from DSS, on their web page they direct me to frontier wave.....which will not help because I didn't purchase the dish from them

Snowy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Aberdeenshire
Hello all,

I've just recently installed a Force Frontier 90cm toroidal, and what a job setting up. OK for just a few sats, but I'm trying to view 5E, 13E, 19E and 28E. Up to now I've got them all great but exept 28E, (nothing at all). It would seem this is to do with the drop in elevation. I have a feeling that the secondary dish is getting in the way when elevated up to the 5E spot, (4 deg higher than 28E). Tried skewing and got 28 but lost the others. Note, I did this with 5E in the middle, (to get the best signal, as Sirius drops out frequently). Would I be better off spreading the sats across the dish, say with nothing in the middle, and bring 28E further into the dish?

sgar, how did yo umanage it?

mherman443, the documentation with this kit is crap, but if you search the internet there are a couple of sites that provide more help; sorry, can't remember them :(

Anyway, some advice here would save me a lot of bother at weekends! Thanks.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I would be more inclined to put 16E as the centre (even if you are not keeping it) and then work outwards from it. If that doesn't give you good enough 5E, then try 13E, but any further across towards 5E and you will have problems with 28E.

Snowy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Aberdeenshire
rolfw,

Cheers for that, sounds like good sense. Meanwhile I emailed the support centre at the web site whose address I couln't remember in my last thread; www.multilnbdish.com

They very kindly sent me straight back some settings for my post code. as you say, this roughly has Hotbird in the middle. A job for the weekend.

Thanks again. :p

sgar

Reaction score
My Location
Sweden
Snowy said:
Hello all,

I've just recently installed a Force Frontier 90cm toroidal, and what a job setting up. OK for just a few sats, but I'm trying to view 5E, 13E, 19E and 28E. Up to now I've got them all great but exept 28E, (nothing at all). It would seem this is to do with the drop in elevation. I have a feeling that the secondary dish is getting in the way when elevated up to the 5E spot, (4 deg higher than 28E). Tried skewing and got 28 but lost the others. Note, I did this with 5E in the middle, (to get the best signal, as Sirius drops out frequently). Would I be better off spreading the sats across the dish, say with nothing in the middle, and bring 28E further into the dish?

sgar, how did yo umanage it?

mherman443, the documentation with this kit is crap, but if you search the internet there are a couple of sites that provide more help; sorry, can't remember them :(

Anyway, some advice here would save me a lot of bother at weekends! Thanks.

Hi Snowy

i have to say that installing my dish with 5E-13E-19E-28E was actually easier that what i thought.
It took me about 2 days to look for and give up on 30W, but after that it was quite simple. I have 13E in the middle (now added 1W too), 19E,5E and 28E are fine ,altrogh i am unable to see 2D ( 28E) but thats a different matter.

What i did was, once i found 13E, i moved the skew around a bit ( you cant play with it too much , no needs to spend 1 hour doing it, as you'll quickly loose signal) until i got the best signal, did the same for the elevation ( again, same thing, you cant move it too much or you'll loose signal). That was it, 13E in the middle with the best possible signal, i only had to put the remainig LNB´s.
Another thing you could try is to start with 28E by the edge and once you find it, you can then work your way towards 5E.

I hope that helps.
Good luck

peaceandlove

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Tm3500usb, TM5400usb super, cas3, m2+,Diablo wireless 2.3rev,
Stab usualsHH90 driving arcon multi 57cm dish with dual feed ,Skystar2 HDCI, Altdvb, My theatre,vplug, windows xp,
Arcon sweety 43cm for astra1 perched behind window
Multimo 40cm for ho
My Location
Slough, Berkshire
I am thinking of getting the same dish for a communial set up, i live in one of those places where its one dish per building or nothing, i want multi satellite and would have gone motorised but due to restrictions i cannot. i see this dish as a way out, there are eight flats in my block, whatever dish i get needs to cator for all, Im thinking of sticking one of those 8 way Lnbs on it and pointing that to 28E for the sky Lovers and then im thinking of having another 8 Lnbs pointing to the following 19E, 16E, 13E, 5E, 5w, 8w, 12w, 15w
Am i having a laugh, the dish claims 16Lnbs but ive never seen it in operation, there used to be a web site wavefrontier.co.uk whichn offerered 4, 8 and 16 Lnb set ups ranging between £400 and £700 all in inclusive of lnbs and switches, worked out as quite good value but the web site seems to have dissapeared, is there any one out there with wavefrontier knowledge or experience?, would my desired set up work? does anyone know what happened to the website afore mentioned?

lazydave

Reaction score
My Location
Aalborg, Denmark
I have a T90 and it's quite good for multi-sat setups. Theoretically you should be able to cover 45 degrees with it. It's rather critical that the "dish tilt" (I forget what it's really called) be "spot on" to get the best reception for the edge LNBs.

In my opinion, it will work, but there may be two minor issues.
  • The two edge LNBs at 28E and 15W will practially be falling off the rails :rolleyes: --- if this is problematic, then I would suggest dropping 15W, that would also give you a bit better sky coverage since then 28E wouldn't have to be so close to the edge. I usually work with a max spread of 40 degrees from one end to the other.
  • You might have a problem getting a LNB at 16E to fit physically between 13E and 19E. I should be possible, bit it'd be a tight fit.
I'm speaking from my experience on a "one user" system, but you're obviously setting up a SMATV system, so there might be other issues to consider.

barrykap

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM6800, Technomate TM6800 Super, Technomate 5200, Humax Foxsat HDR, Humax CI-8100, Lemon FTA, Force Frontier T90, Channelmaster 1.2 + Jaeger 1224, Misc other bits and bobs.
My Location
North Staffordshire
Hi friends,

I also have just bought a T90 toroidal but can't get a decent signal at all on it. I am in England, located at 53.1N, 2.17W. I have assembled the dish in accordance with the supplied instructions and using the Blackburn Skew angle chart as downloaded from multilnbdish site, which is pretty close to where I am. I intend to use four LNBs for; Astra2 (28E), Astra 1 (19E), Hotbird (13E) and Sirius (5E), all of which should be easily obtainable with the T90 from my location. I set up the LNBs with Hotbird being the central zero point and positioned the other three according to the chart info.

I then positioned the dish as high as I could on the wall of my bungalow, which faces almost due South. I already had two other 80CM dishes but I replaced the higher one with the T90 and left the lower one in place. To my amazement the new T90 fails to bring in hardly anything from the prime satellite, Hotbird. On a digital receiver the signal strength figure (using a Humax 5100 ST:cool: says 58% signal strength and ZERO signal quality. I also connected an analogue receiver to the same LNB and this brought in a limited analogue signal with spaklies abound. I was very surprised as my other (lower positioned) dish, which was a 80CM one brings in 58% signal strength and 86% signal quality. The other dish I have removed now was a motorised one and this brought in 100% signal quality. I would have thought the T90, being in the same place as the motorised dish, would equal this. I have adjusted the dish many times and this is definitely the optimum signal I can get with it.

The only possible thing I can think of that might be the problem, is I have a tall hedge which is about ten feet high and about 12 ft from the dish. The top of the T90 dish is about 18 inches above the top of the hedge if a line is taken horizontally. I have some small pictures here if anyone would like to help and wished to see them I can e-mail them over. Looking at the overall appearance of things the T90 seems to require a lower aproach angle as the dish is apparantly pointing down rather than upwards(!). Is there any possibility this is the problem and the signal path is too low thus hitting the hedge now? I realise the angle wto teh sat will eb teh same but if the signal point on the dish itself is very low down now it could be why the hedge is now getting in the way. I cannot really belive though that the T90, positioned higher up than the other dish is not receiving the same or better signals as the lower dish.

If anyone can help I would be most grateful.

Many thanks.

Barrykap

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
The elevation will be the same whichever dish you are using Barrykap, for Hotbird the elevation is slightly better than 2 in 1, so if the dish is 10ft away from the hedge, then the bottom of the dish can in theory be 5ft lower than the top of the hedge and still see the satellite.

If you can scan the photographs, you can reduce them and post them here.

barrykap

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM6800, Technomate TM6800 Super, Technomate 5200, Humax Foxsat HDR, Humax CI-8100, Lemon FTA, Force Frontier T90, Channelmaster 1.2 + Jaeger 1224, Misc other bits and bobs.
My Location
North Staffordshire
Thanks Rolfw.

That is more or less what I imagined about the angle hitting the dish, which is why I am puzzled that I can't get a decent signal. I have the pics in JPG and are quite small. I've tried inserting them but it just asks me for a URL or something. How do I send them over please?

Cheers.

barrykap