total newbie - please help

gp5353

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
viasat
My Location
norway
Hi,
I am very new to satellite reception. Have just moved to Norway from U.S and am looking to pick up American football specifically on CBS East Coast. Have found info on web site which states that CBS transmits with the IntelSat Americas 6 at 93deg west, encryption: DVB. Have asked at local satellite shop and was told that it would be to difficult to receive signal from that satellite because of the degree setting, he said most systems, like Viasat(which I have) use 15 deg east. If anyone has info on what I need( dish, receiver, etc.) to pick up that station if it is possible I would greatly appreciate it. I live near Bergen, which is on the west coast of Norway. (I currently subscribe to Viasat because they transmit some NFL games live on Viasat Sport 1.)
Thank You

my email is gp5353@yahoo.com

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
:-Welcome1 to the forum gp5353
Sorry to disappoint but there is no way on earth you could receive from 93 deg west that is below the horizon the furthest you can receive from Europe will be about 61 West click here to see the lyngsat site displaying westerly satellites.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
:-welcome gp5353, This is the perfect time for you to get that "strange game" out of your system ;) , and enjoy the real game of football. :rolleyes:

gp5353

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
viasat
My Location
norway
Hey thanks for responses....

I also am a european football lover...........Forza Italia and Inter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok...get the problem with the degree angle but did a little more web surfing and came across AFN TV which I believe is satellite for the armed forces and see they broadcast alot of live NFL games and other sports as well as American tv programs. However saw that only military bases are allowed service, they use a scientific american decoder http://drdish.tv/eng/qa/199911/afn-tv.shtml. Does anyone no if it's possible to get the equipment and access to that satellite.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Not unless you are willing to go in and get one. They are uniquely addressable as well so you can see there isn't much chance, sorry

L.

gp5353

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
viasat
My Location
norway
sorry.. a Scientific Atlanta decoder.....on LyngSat it shows AFN Sport coming off of Hotbird4 at 13deg east and PowerVu encryption http://www.lyngsat.com/hb4.htmlIs it possible to pick that up........

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
PowerVu is a professional encryption which transmits to uniquely addresed boxes which are (if you find one for sale) de-commissioned beforehand. Yes the carriers you are after are easy to recieve in Europe. No the encryption is totally secure I'm afraid.

L.

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
you could try looking for feeds on some of the feed satellites 10E,16E,12.5W, or even subscribe to sky(england) they carry the NFL games live.hope this helps

TWAG

gp5353

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
viasat
My Location
norway
Is there any way to get sky in Norway without having to go through those rent a card sites. They want minimum 25 pounds per month plus 10 pound per month for NASA plus 120 pound per year fee. Is there a better way?

xecuterbox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Standard sky atm
temp setup on chair also-see siggy
My Location
UK
find a friend with sky in england and get him to sign up to multiroom - he gets a new £99 box which he keeps and keeps it plugged in the phone line, and you get his old box and a £10 a month sub ;)

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
@gp5353, Have you thought of internet television if you can't get satellite TV.
Try Jump TV as it shows "America 1" on the internet for $5.95 a month for dial-up, and $9.95 for broadband. America 1 shows that funny version of football that you like as well as other things from the US which should be of interest to you.
I have never tried this service so cannot say what it is like.
Click this link:-
http://www.jumptv.com

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex
@gp5353, Try Canel+Deporte 2 on 12380V, 27500, 3/4, on Hispasat 30 west.
They show NFL from the states on there all the time. Sorry didn't realize that NFL was the guys with tight pants, shoulder pads who throw the ball with their hands (that's not FOOTball :D) that's netball. ;)

Anyway this channel is Spanish, broadcast only in Spanish and it is encrypted in Nagravision.
There are ways to get round this, if still interested let me know.

bennet

Reaction score
The best thing is a NASN subscription. I`m from the south of Norway. I`m soon getting a NASN subscription. I just bought a 1,10m dish and a ivacom lnb. Should work great on the NASN Freq. at 28,5 east. I have been looking at the footprints for eurobird, and it sure covers southern Norway pretty good. It`s about time that people in Norway also can get live MLB, NFL etc... with orginal soundtrack.

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
deviating a bit, but if you get a big enough dish, 2.4M, point it at 28.2E/28.5E you might get all the BBC stuff, free to air, just some more channels for your english ears.... -cts

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
xecuterbox said:
find a friend with sky in england and get him to sign up to multiroom - he gets a new £99 box which he keeps and keeps it plugged in the phone line, and you get his old box and a £10 a month sub ;)

:-doh! Wont work - thay have to be plugged into the SAME UK phone line at all times.....

chrislloret

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Beautiful Catalunya,Spain
Analoguesat said:
:-doh! Wont work - thay have to be plugged into the SAME UK phone line at all times.....
Yep, was just going to say that, we got a lot of them down here in spain and they tend to shut down after 1-3month.
Chris

nickbrace

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Plus, Orbit
My Location
Milton Keynes
Analoguesat said:

Thats not true - people are always saying this but the first thing I have always done as soon as Sky has been installed is take the phone line out - never to put it back in the wall!!! Never has my Sky been switched off......Sky just tell you that will happen for scare tactics!

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ v2 (120Gb); DM7020Si*motorised; PC/S2-3200
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
nickbrace said:
Thats not true - people are always saying this but the first thing I have always done as soon as Sky has been installed is take the phone line out - never to put it back in the wall!!! Never has my Sky been switched off......Sky just tell you that will happen for scare tactics!

firstly, nice digging :-bash

secondly, the reference is to Sky MULTIROOM needing PHONE LINE connected. Sky does police this and you either get cut off or get to pay two (or more) full subs.

A standalone Sky box does not need phone connection; subsidised ones SHOULD but Sky does not police this....yet.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
nickbrace said:

:-doh!
If you had follwed the thread correctly you would find that as Leee explained I was indeen referring to Sky Multiroom requiring both boxes to be plugged into the same operational uk phone line at all times.

My single digibox has only ever been plugged into the phone socket for about 5 minutes - on both occasions to authorise the subs cards.

There plenty of info around to show that Multiroom is policed and they either cut you off, or you end up paying for two full price subs on it. This requirement is policed exactly to stop folks taking a second sub abroad, or to stop Auntie Hilda down the road getting cheap access to Sky.