total novice to satelite

smokeyUK

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
new
My Location
newcastle
can anyone recomend a good setup to watch spanish tv or s american tv in spanish language . what i would need and good place to buy from and what is possible to receive as i am in the north esat of england

thanks

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
For free Spanish channels in UK, see: www.lyngsat.com/freetv/Spain.html .

Astra1 requires only a small dish, Hotbird slightly larger, Hispasat larger still.

(for some idea of dish size, try googling for images of "astra1 footprint", then "hotbird", then "hispasat").

Most inexpensive free-to-air sat receivers will do, but channels do change, to save constant manual updating a "blind scan" type receiver is useful.

A conditional access receiver may allow card viewing of (some) pay channels, depending on how you "get" the card.

A fixed single dish with "monobloc" lnb antenna will get astra1/hotbird, but for receiving 3 or more satellites a motorised dish is really required!

(for suppliers, see our links pages!).

smokeyUK

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
new
My Location
newcastle
thanks for the info i was looking at a motorised 80cm dish that should do the job i take it

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
80 cm is ok for astra1/hotbird, but I'm not sure about Hispasat, you really need advice from other people getting that in your area.

(Unfortunately, the Hispa beams very rapidly "fall off", going towards north and east, across the UK).

wallwok

AMCRAZEEEABOUTHOTBIRDS
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 1000D patched
Motor Dish 80cm
xp athlon
My Location
Scottish Borders
I am 50 miles north of you and I have a motoised 80cm dish, hispasat is perfect and all others around to 53e.

smokeyUK

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
new
My Location
newcastle
no probs u will be seting up sat on the weekiend any probs i know where to come cheers

smokeyUK

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
new
My Location
newcastle
ok ive got myself a 80cm dish with DiSEqC 1.0 1.2 2.0 & 1.3/USALS with a 0.2 lnb . what is the best value for money receiver avialable with cam slots and what is the best cam to get. i am mostly interested in then hispasat channels

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
well technomate recievers are good i've got the 1500 ci one and would say go for a dragon cam

smokeyUK

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
new
My Location
newcastle
whats the current going price for those units

Oily

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Satellite=Motorized Triax 88cm&a DM800HD with 500gb hd.Vu+ Duo
My Location
Radcliffe
smokeyUK said:
whats the current going price for those units

Around the £100 mark for a 1500CI+,don't know about the cam:confused

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
the dragon cams are about 70 ish but worth it

smokeyUK

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
new
My Location
newcastle
also what can be picked up using the sky minidish as to channels also can a universal lnb be used with the didgy box runing 2 receivers

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you leave the minidish pointing at Astra 28.2 (where Sky UK is), then there is really nothing useful there for a non-Sky receiver and the dish is too small for an offset LNB for a second satellite. You would need a larger dish with perhaps a couple of offset LNBs or a separate dish with a motor.

smokeyUK

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
new
My Location
newcastle
wich sateliite is best to line up as a reference point when setting a 80cm motorised system i am in north east england on coast

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
1mtr dish & jaeger 99G 36v motor, with a superjack DP-6600. dvb-t aswell,in the process of setting up
My Location
cheshire,algeria
thor 1w is usually fav

smokeyUK

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
new
My Location
newcastle
right ive bought a tachomate 1500+ receiver how are these to setup

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
1mtr dish & jaeger 99G 36v motor, with a superjack DP-6600. dvb-t aswell,in the process of setting up
My Location
cheshire,algeria
ive just inputted technomate 1500+ into search facility and came up with 83 pages of threads.
so i guess that mean's there is plenty of info on this forum if your willing to look :)

smokeyUK

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
new
My Location
newcastle
thanks for that good read / whats the difference between a patched unit and normal unit ?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The patched unit will enable the viewing of some encrypted channels without card or CAM.

Reaction score
hello smokeyUK,

when you are new at sat messing, try cheap stuff such as a mini dish

I take a mini dish away with me when I work away on nights
I set up a 12v supply to my receiver (dreambox500s) and mini dvd player, from cig lighter in van.
I put mini dish on back seat and with all windows shut have had excellent results on Hispasat 30w,Astra1 19E,Hotbird 13E.
When you practice it only takes 2mins to find these Sats, I've done this in Lockerbie, Scotland to Reading area.