My Satellite Setup
Technomate 9100 and 90cm dish motorised
My Location
South East Midlands
Stumbled across this today:
Tenants give poor reception to dish order
http://www.lutontoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=541&ArticleID=1238903
Town Hall says satellite eyesores must go
Council tenants in Hockwell Ring flats have been ordered to take down their satellite dishes – or they will go to court.

They have been given two weeks to remove the dishes and many of them are now having to fork out for cable systems.

Jason Purton, 34, of Home Court, believes that the letter they were all sent was intimidating and said that he can't understand why they have to take theirs down when friends in other parts of town don't.

He said: "We had a letter back in February about it but then heard nothing else until we go the threatening letter.

"I think it's just a way of getting business for the cable companies. We've all got them and there's a notice downstairs. If an OAP got the letter I think they would be quite intimidated with the threat of going to court. I don't understand why we have to take them down.

"I've spoken to mates in other council flats and they don't have to take them down. I'm now having to get cable installed instead."

A spokesperson for Luton Borough Council said: "As with any landlord, we have the right to control additions and alterations that tenants and leaseholders make to our properties. We do not allow satellite equipment to be installed as this is unsightly, can cause damage to the building and pose a safety risk.

"This is common practice in both the social and private rented sector.

"Tenants do receive cable services so are not being denied satellite TV when the dishes are removed.

"Tenants of all high-rise blocks in Hockwell Ring have been asked to remove their satellite dishes."
02 November 2005

"Tenants do receive cable services so are not being denied satellite TV when the dishes are removed." - I cannot believe the daftness of this statement - why is it that most people the council employ have no clue about anything they talk about??¬¬¬!!!

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
martinw01908 said:
"Tenants do receive cable services so are not being denied satellite TV when the dishes are removed."

A lot of people think Sky is satellite TV!

martinw01908

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 9100 and 90cm dish motorised
My Location
South East Midlands
True. This needs to change. Someone ought to educate councils about satellite TV - it is not just SKY.

If I were people in that block I would fight it based on discrimination of peoples basic right to watch TV especially foreign TV. No slur but I bet there are a few foreigners living in a tower block in Luton that could kick up a stink. The UK has gone PC mad, but it might do some good used in that context this case.

Joe50

Reaction score
My Location
Surrey UK / Austria
In most country's of Europe they accept that peoples viewing don't conform to just one type. There are many foreign nationals living there as we have over here. OK cable in this country will get you a slimmed down S*Y package and a few other bits and pieces,But not the mainstream French,German and other services that some people want. I'm not too sure about this but I have read somewhere that some kind of Euro directive exists about foreign nationals living in other EU countries having the right to receive TV in their native language.Via satellite if it is not available on cable. If this is so then it certainly explains the number of very large Dishes on council blocks in East London over the past few years.
I reckon that you should run this past someone with legal knowledge because if this is a fact it should be easy to scupper your local councils plans on the grounds of...Dare I Mention it...!!! political correctness.
Regards and best wishes
Joe 50