Transfer of .TS to MPEG2

zanders

Reaction score
My Location
Hampshire, UK
Has anyone played with transfering files from the DB to the PC and then converting into a smaller file.

I am having all sorts of problems trying to achieve this.

I am using,

DreamTSman
Tmpgenc
HDTV to MPEG
PVAStrumento ( Craps out )

Even XVID

to date I have had very limited success
Tmpgenc almost works however DR divx will not open the end result file, it just sits there all day.

HDTV works but with no sound.

anyone got a tried and trusted method to get a .TS to a DVIX file?

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
zanders said:
Has anyone played with transfering files from the DB to the PC and then converting into a smaller file.

I am using,

DreamTSman
Tmpgenc
HDTV to MPEG

Even XVID

Tmpgenc almost works however DR divx will not open the end result file, it just sits there all day.

I recorded a movie on hd, edited it via ftp with a an editor ( cant remember which one) edited it without the adds. Everything went fine, played it before sending it back to db. When it got back to db, everything was fine until I went to record again and it said my disc space was full, dont know what went wrong but had to re format the hd again. Someday I will try again and see what happened.

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
zanders said:

I am using,

DreamTSman
Tmpgenc
HDTV to MPEG

Even XVID

Hi Zanders,
although I havnt yet processed .s files from DB, I have been doing this with .ts files captured onto PC from UK digi terrestrial using a hauppauge DEC2000t.
After some learning and talking to s/w authorts, the process became routine.

PVAstrumento is 1st step for me, to modify all the headers (on UK terrestrial the bit rate is set to 15Mbps and this screws up many editors).
PVAS also fixes the A-V synch.
Demuxed files are then put into MpegSchnitt which edits at the allowed frame level and not just between GOPs which many editors do.
It is important to fix the synch first because the GOPs are not closed, they are all time stamped and the end of a GOP may be very late or get lost. Indeed dropouts are the main cause of trouble.
Having cut out all the ads and topped and tailed, the files can be muxed again into mpeg2 or put as 2 streams into into TMPGenc or Ulead for DVD authoring. I have made many compliant DVDs from captured files.
I have no experience with HDTV files. I will ask the author for a comment. We have had many discussions.
I have found nothing better than these two bits of s/w. They are both free and in my experience, both work properly.

In your sequence above, are you using the s/w in that order? in which case what is TMPGenc doing?

I have some captured .ts files on my DB HDD and will transfer them to PC and put them through my mill. When I have done this, I will report back.

For now, the sequence for a regular .ts file is:
- Pass thru PVAStrumento once, to look for any bad synch problems.
- Pass thru PVAStrumento to fix headers, synch, demux and produce a description file for MPEGSchnitt. Take care to keep all files in same folder.
- Load video file into MPEGSchnitt, audio file is loaded automatically and description file is read in (contains all frame info).
- Edit (Schnitt) away.
- Export the edited file, taking care to give it a different name.
- Remux the edited V and A files into a new mpeg2 file.
- Check mpeg2 file will play at correct aspect ration by drag and dropping its icon onto the control panel of open PowerDVD (sometimes PowerDVD refuses to find the file).
- Toggle thru to check the synch. (Don't bank on it being OK).
- Do whatever you want with mpeg2 file, e.g. make DVD,

zanders

Reaction score
My Location
Hampshire, UK
Thanks for your response.

I am now using PVAstrumento to create a mpeg2 and then read&convert with
DR Divx.

This seems to be working at the moment, I think now that my problem was related to some files that were quite large in size around 9gb.

The software I listed do pretty much the same thing.

I do like TMPgenc but as I mentioned the file that it created could not be read by DR divx which is my ultimate goal.

I use DreamTsman to copy and concatenate the .TS files to make it easier to deal with.

I will have to download and have a play with MPEGSchnitt to see its capabilities.

thanks again.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Wow, some excelent info here. I'm gonna have another play next week.

I've been having a lot of problems in getting non-stuttering video out of PVAStrumento. Mpeg2Schnitt is fantastic, but by the time I got to the authoring stage, the video is knacked. When I worked back, I found it was 'corrupt' after the demuxing in PVAS.

Tried fiddling with some of the settings and improved it, but still not good.

I'm following the doom9 school of thinking...

h**p://www.doom9.org/index.html?/DigiTV/dvbs-soft.htm

Any Ideas?

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
BGonaSTICK said:
Wow, some excelent info here. I'm gonna have another play next week.

I've been having a lot of problems in getting non-stuttering video out of PVAStrumento. Mpeg2Schnitt is fantastic, but by the time I got to the authoring stage, the video is knacked. When I worked back, I found it was 'corrupt' after the demuxing in PVAS.

Tried fiddling with some of the settings and improved it, but still not good.

I'm following the doom9 school of thinking...

h**p://www.doom9.org/index.html?/DigiTV/dvbs-soft.htm

Any Ideas?

Hi BGonaSTICK

I had a quick bash last night
xferred files from DB HDD and went thru the stages
and then wrote a compliant DVD.

I'll post the steps, incl how to remove unwanted languages
and if you wish to edit or not. Sometimes you need to demux and mux, sometimes not. It'll be this w/e.
Experience of handling terrestrial digi is that if there are serious dropouts in the captured stream, it is very difficult to recover a DVD compliant mpeg. The .ts has regular timecodes on V and A packets to the receiver can get back in step aftre dropouts. For a DVD, you then need to drop a V or A packet and I know of nothing, even PVAstr that does this well.