Transonder trouble

what2do

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FTA
My Location
ireland
Hi all,

a complete newcomer here, not too good on the satellite technology, but I thought I'd ask a question.

I have a FTA system that a friend of mine installed for me and I am getting signal from various satellites. However I am not able to get quality for a few transponders within a satellite even though I get quality for other transponders within a satellite.

Does anybody know what the fix is?

Your replies are greatly appreciated

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum what2do

You do not say if your system is actually motorised and the motor is turning the dish as many satellites have crossover frequencies so really you would need to give more specific channel names frequenceies and satellites for anyone to reply with a sensible suggestion

what2do

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FTA
My Location
ireland
Hello toppervte33h, thanks for the welcome note.

I was thinking afterwards that I need to give more information, so there it is. I do not have a motor, I just have a cheap sat finder that I use to find the satellites, and I am looking for Sirius 2 and in particular receiving frequency 12465 MHz, symbol rate 10790, polarisation - H. It is interesting that I get quality for most of the other transponders on Sirius 2 but not this one.

In general what could be the cause for that sort of problem?

Thanks for your time

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
The transponder is on the bss Europe beam so should be OK unless the info on Lyngsat is not up to date. I will try on my set-up when I get a chance. There are two different Europe beams on Sirius 2 Fss and Bss and they have different footprints as you can see here. This may explain it, unless you have forgotten to change the fec rate to 7/8

What size is your dish out of curiosity?

edit 2 hours later
OK just went round to 5 deg East 58% level 99% quality and bTV is not a problem, what is strange is that when scanning I can see 3 channels TTVI and VTK but for some reason my stb refuses to save the latter two, not that I am bothered. If your dish is small then this may be the reason you are unable to receive as I have a 1.2mtr

what2do

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FTA
My Location
ireland
Hi toppervte33h, thanks for taking my problem to heart.

I see you are located in NW England and I am in Dublin so there isn't that big of a difference location wise. I have a 1m dish. Could this be the problem?
You mentioned the fec rate, I actually don't know how to change that manually, but I think there are other transponders on Sirius 2 with the same rate and I think I have no problem receiving them.

Do you think a motor might help or would it make any difference?

Thanks again

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
what2do said:
I have a 1m dish. Could this be the problem?

The problem is that each individual transponder can be producing a slightly different footprint like the beam from a torch shining down on the earth. Just because you receive one doesn't necessarily mean you will receive another. A bigger dish will probably help as looking at the footprint it says you need a 1.2 mtr in Ireland. If you have fine tuned the dish and aded correct skew to the lnd then a dish increase or lower noise lnb is the only answer apart from moving of course...... Presumably you are like us and need planning permission for over 1mtr dish? :(

what2do

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FTA
My Location
ireland
Indeed, we like you need a planning permission for over 1 mtr dish. I might try changing the lnb. I think the one I am using at the moment is 0.6 db so I'll try the 0.3 db, maybe it will help. Or I might get somebody who knows what they are doing to check the fine tuning of the dish.

How do you add a correct skew to the ind?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
what2do said:
How do you add a correct skew to the ind?

The correct way to do it is to use a meter but if you have not got one try experimenting. If you can see the stb signal strength meter signal displayed on the TV from outside you can then twist the lnb until you get the strongest signal. You may only be talking 1 or 2 degrees but it can help significantly. Of course the amount of skew alters dependingon which satelite you are on. So in effect at 1 degree West you will probably have non and for all satellites East of that you will have an increasing amount of skew in the direction of clockwise from the front of the dish and all satellites West of 1 degree you will have skew anticlockise increasing the further West you go viewed from the front of the dish. Of course in a motorised set up the skew is automatically compensated for by the mounting

Worth reading this link though
http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=36347&page=6

what2do

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FTA
My Location
ireland
Roger that toppervte33h, I am getting a new LNB and I am going to try and correct the skew following your directions. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your time so far.