transponder scan

nario

Reaction score
Have just recieved a Dreambox as an early Cimbo present and trying to set it up properly. Using my existing dish and universal LNB to scan Astra 19.2, I can only sync to very few transponders and recieve only the stations from Canalsatelite providor and are mostly encrypted :-(
Should I be able to pick up all the other clear digital servcies? If so, what do I need to do - consider new LNB or not setup dreambox properly. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

racingclubuk

Reaction score
Website
www.racingclubfc.com
My Satellite Setup
IBM Supercomputer
My Location
Ogmore by Sea - South Wales
if you can't get a lock on many TP's then it sounds like your dish is not aligned?

nario

Reaction score
The dish was aligned some time ago and assumed that it is OK as I can still recieve all the analogue channels on my old Pace reciever. I have even tried to adjust the dish using the satfinder and regardless of what transponder freq I choose, SNR is between 50-50%. However, doing an automatic transponder scan, it locks on to one.

I am assuming that it only picks up this one transponder and skips out the others. Do I need to invest in a sat meter? I have been using my old analogue decoder to align the dish - small knudges until the picture is at best...:-)

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
nario said:
The dish was aligned some time ago and assumed that it is OK as I can still recieve all the analogue channels on my old Pace reciever. I have even tried to adjust the dish using the satfinder and regardless of what transponder freq I choose, SNR is between 50-50%. However, doing an automatic transponder scan, it locks on to one.

I am assuming that it only picks up this one transponder and skips out the others. Do I need to invest in a sat meter? I have been using my old analogue decoder to align the dish - small knudges until the picture is at best...:-)
Are you saying you are re-aligning your dish by looking at quality of analogue pic? hmmmm. You really need a meter. snr of 50% max suggests a small dish or trees or building partly in the way. In emergency, kludge your dish to the left till sparklies (remember them?) just appear. Make a scratch. Kludge to right and do same. Set half way between scratches. Do same for vertical.
Also when doing a scan, you click OK to start scan, it finds a TP and then you have to click yes (green) again to get the lot.

nario

Reaction score
That emergency method is exactly what I do - kludge dish to left till snow appears, mark, knudge to right, mark and set to mid position, then repeat for vertical plane. As for the dish, it is only 60cm with an old Marconi LNB (not sure of its spec but it is old, bought approx 10years ago). I guess, I should think about upgrading them as well, any advice as to wether I should only upgrade the LNB and,or get a bigger dish as well.

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
nario said:
That emergency method is exactly what I do - kludge dish to left till snow appears, mark, knudge to right, mark and set to mid position, then repeat for vertical plane. As for the dish, it is only 60cm with an old Marconi LNB (not sure of its spec but it is old, bought approx 10years ago). I guess, I should think about upgrading them as well, any advice as to wether I should only upgrade the LNB and,or get a bigger dish as well.
Nario
digital works on phase differences and the old Marconi possibly has poor phase stability. It also has a high noise figure 1 dB? A new one is not expensive.

nario

Reaction score
Thanks folks.
I'll start off by upgrading the LNB first. If that dosen,t work, I'll get a bigger dish next year.