Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
How do I know if I've got all the transponders ? Without going through the lists on lyngsat of course.
I've aligned the dish to a satellite and selected the strongest transponder which are listed here on this forum. But where can I find out the weakest transponder to make sure that I have scanned them all ?

jakenl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Manhattan Starlight 5900+PVR-80GB,Topfield TF5000CI,Skystar2,110cm dish, Invacom 0,3dB, Moteck SG2100A,range: 75East-61West,AMD Sempron 2600+, Windows XP Pro.
My Location
The Netherlands
whatsthis said:
How do I know if I've got all the transponders ? Without going through the lists on lyngsat of course.
I've aligned the dish to a satellite and selected the strongest transponder which are listed here on this forum. But where can I find out the weakest transponder to make sure that I have scanned them all ?

You can't... you have to watch Lyngsat or King of Sat or this board for new tp's.
Only a blindscan receiver can search for new tp's.

Jakenl

whatsthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
Thanks jakenl,
Your right I can only scan the transponders which are on the list and add new ones when they are swtched on. But my question was:
Which are the weakest transponders for each satellite. I read somewhere that 11577V 27500 was very weak on Hispasat 30w and if you can get this......

Regards

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
But it is a combination of a number of different elements. Firstly it is a question of the footprints that each transponder generates, whether they are an East spot West spot European etc. This information is gained by looking at the Right hand column with blue writing and clicking on that to see the footprint as per this Next there is the question of your own location. You may be on the fringe of a footprint that someone 100 miles East of you is able to receive adequately. Lastly there is the equipment you are using, i.e. combination of LNB, dish size and tuner in stb you are using and whether or not they are correctly tuned. There is no simple answer apart from keeping up with Satdudes excellent posts giving transponder changes.

whatsthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
I accept what you say but the obvious question is...

If we can't have weak transponders how can we have strong ones ?

or am I looking at it too simply

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
whatsthis said:
I accept what you say but the obvious question is...
If we can't have weak transponders how can we have strong ones ?
or am I looking at it too simply

In a way I know what you are trying to say but as i previously said there are far too many variables involved. We could live next door to each other have the same size dish, same lnb yet received distincly different signal qualities because we have different receivers. I was originally an analogue guy and I had to go back to college to try to understand it all. In the majority of instances now we are dealing with digital signals. Because they are digital there are only two states on or off or if you prefer 1 and 0. The whole transmissions are made up of 1's and 0's albeit compressed etc after first using fancy Laplace transforms to transform from the analogue to the digital domain. Because there are only two states 1 and 0 it is easier for a receiver to reconstruct a digital signal as there is a lot less guesswork than with an analogue signal. So what was considered weak in the days of analogue i.e. sparklies etc doesn't really come into it in the same way. That is part of the reason why a single transponder now has multiple channels emanating on the same frequency it is all digitised and compressed into the bandwidth of a single transponder. This is because they know that at the other end the receiving equipment can reconstruct the signal sufficiently well to receive the programme without pixilating. I realise that this is a somewhat simplified explanation before anyone jumps in and shouts but I believe it is in principle correct and certainly the way I have looked at digital which I studied 12-14 years ago long before it was in full commercial use. I do not know if this helps you to understand what i am trying to convey, if nothing else it may clarify or even mystify other readers lol. In answer to the bit about strong transponders, if the signal strength and quality are sufficient then the complicated digital signal recovery systems just simply lie idle until required.